Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Chez

Poultry preparation courses? Lorrainelovesplants?

I am almost sure Lorraine offers this, but does anyone else know about it? I am wondering whether I need any further registration or qualifications to offer it.

Currently I offer a 'from hatch to despatch' course, which essentially does what it says on the tin. I don't formally offer a course on what to do with the bird once it's dead; and I think there is probably a market for it.

I have a current food hygiene certificate and my kitchen is registered with the council to produce food for sale.

Does anyone do this already? Or know what I need to do to offer it?

(I have public liability insurance)
RichardW

Do you know all the under 10k exemption rules?

I guess the first thing to do is speak to your EHO or trading standards bod. In the end it's them that you need to keep happy.
Chez

Yeah, they are on my list of phone calls for next week. I suspect they won't be too bothered about three birds at a time in my kitchen - but I want to check.
RichardW

IF they start to give you grief about having separate areas for each task (*kill, gut & butcher) remind them that you can separate them by area, space OR time. They tend to forget that last one.
Lorrainelovesplants

I take ityou mean ...producing poultry meat for consumption?
There is a document called something like small exempt meat production. I used to have it, but no longer.

There is legislation involved if you produce meat for sale from poultry. Dependent on how many - there are also exemptions for Christmas and Michaelmas production.
Best bet is to get in touch with EHO who will email the details. You will also have to register as a small food producer and keep a book.
There is currently no fee for this.
I wonder if this is reallywhat you want to do, or if you just want to teach it? I mean - how to pluck, eviscerate and dress a bird for the oven? To teach this there is no legilation - it is up to the learner to take it forward if they wish, after the course to produce meat.
Chez

I wonder if this is reallywhat you want to do, or if you just want to teach it? I mean - how to pluck, eviscerate and dress a bird for the oven? To teach this there is no legilation - it is up to the learner to take it forward if they wish, after the course to produce meat.

Yep, that's all I want to offer, with learning via hands-on experience. The course to involved killing, plucking and dressing, one bird per person, max of four people at a time.

Thanks, Lorraine.
Lorrainelovesplants

All I would do then, is produce a handout giving details of the EHO, and the fact that if they wish to sell meat they will need to register as a food producer. There are also rules about stunning birds prior to slaughter, but this is dependent on the scale and whether they are then selling these birds on to a third party.

I usually have quite a few people wanting to do it - I limit course numbers to a max of 6, otherwide you cant supervise as well.
Chez

I don't think I can realistically get more than three or four in my kitchen, so it's going to be limited by that.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
RichardW

Whilst I agree that there are probably no extra rules to follow I do think that if you start killing & gutting (even if not for sale) in the same place that you are registered to produce food for sale the EHO will have a fit when they find out if you dont tell them first with all the I's dotted & the T's crossed.
Chez

Yes, I see your point. I will speak to them tomorrow. I want to do it all properly.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home