Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
RichardW

Power saver?

Has anyone bought / used one of these items.Its avaliable in domestic & commercial but info for it is very thin. Sounds similar to the freezer plug (which we have lots of which DO work) but for the complete house. Just sounds to good to be true that you can plug it in to a socket & it saves on the complete house.

justme
RichardW

Found slightly more info HERE
sean

Re: Power saver?

Justme wrote:
Just sounds to good to be true that you can plug it in to a socket & it saves on the complete house.

justme

I can't see how it could work.
RichardW

Re: Power saver?

sean wrote:

I can't see how it could work.

I know me too but then I dint think the freezer plug would work but it does. Its not imagined either as I have a power meter that keeps a track of power used & did a before & after.

justme
jema

I do see there is a whole list of models the freezer one is not compatible with, I really cannot see why an "A" rated freezer would miss a trick like that, so I wonder if it only works on old models?
RichardW

The most comon reason for it not to be suitable is a digital display on the freezer / fridge or ice/drink dispencer. Older models save the most but even A rated will save.

justme
jema

SO why don't freezers use the tech inbuilt?
sean

Why would you? If you're a freezer manufacturer you're building to a price point, not to maximum efficiency. Very, very, very very few punters are going to look for more detail than an A rating. I'm not even convinced that very many look as far as that.
RichardW

jema wrote:
SO why don't freezers use the tech inbuilt?

why dont all cars come as hybreds?
why do light fittings (or bulbs for that matter) come so you cant fit low energy bulbs?
why do we still sell lower efficiency boilers & not just condensers?

MONEY

PROFITS

MARKET SHARE

To name a few reasons.

Justme
RichardW

sean wrote:
Very, very, very very few punters are going to look for more detail than an A rating. I'm not even convinced that very many look as far as that.

I am sure you are right. Also most cheap large chest freezers are C rated. You have to almost double the price to get A rated in the larger sizes.

I have 3 freezer plugs fitted.

One I have had for about 18 years now fitted to a large chest freezer that is about 5 years old.
Two is fitted to a very large commercial glass top display chest freezer.
Three is fitted to a extention so it can be moved about between a walk in fridge & a newer chest freezer (about 2 years old C rated).

Number one costs 70 per year to run without plug
Number two costs 350 per year to run without plug
Number three costs 370 per year pro rata as we turn off the walk in fridge whilst not needed. The freezer it then goes on costs 45 per year.

Costs with plug
Number one 62
Number two 280
Number three Fridge 300 (thats for a full year so not true costs)
Number three new freezer 40 (thats for a full year so not true costs)

So the first one has saved me 8 per year for 18 years
two is saving me 70 per year
three is harder but if in full use on fridge 70 & 5 on freezer

First plug cost me about 18
(saved 8 per year payback 2.25 years)

second 24
(saved 70 per year payback .34 years)

third 24
(saved 70 fridge [5 freezer] per year payback .34 [4.8] years)

Ok so two of my items are high consumption catering units so the % savings are high but even on the other two freezers they soon pay for themselfs (2.25 & 4.8 years).

Justme
alison

Oh dear, I read the advert wrong then. Do you need one of these plugs per appliance?
RichardW

alison wrote:
Oh dear, I read the advert wrong then. Do you need one of these plugs per appliance?

No sorry crossed topics.

The one this thread is about is PER HOUSE. The freezer / fridge plug (savaplug is its trade name) is per appliance.

Justme
ros

doesn't really explain how it does it, and how can something plugged in to one circuit have any impact on other circuits? IF it works then surely one is needed for each ring main/ lighting circuit whatever?
nathanbriggs

It's snake oil of the worst kind

The unit is basically a low impedance capacitor, which should in theory power factor correct your inductive loads like motors in refrigerators and such (if it is positioned close enough)

However the net effect will be close to zero saving, domestic electricity meters in the UK pay no attention to power factor as they are moving coil devices.

There is a definite saving of properly tuned power factor correction with large industrial inductive loads - if your metering has a KVA/KVAr component - domestic metering does not.

However it is possible to save 5-10% on your electricity bill by fitting a correction unit to the whole house... watch www.windsave.com
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home