Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Nell Merionwen

product/business name.

So, if I went on to do this project. What would I call myself?
Do I really need to spell out what the product is or could I use a trading name with a descriptive strap line?
Went

The Bare Necessities Very Happy
earthyvirgo

It's a massive, fairly saturated market.
I'd start by listing all the current brand names so at least you don't accidentally use something too similar.

What will make yours different? try and convey that in the name.
I always prefer a short non-descriptive name with a strapline.

The first that comes to my mind is Lush (I know they are mostly soaps and bath bombs so not quite the same).

EV
earthyvirgo

Or even just BARE Smile
Nell Merionwen

Or even just BARE Smile I like that. Kind of punchy. sean

http://www.bareescentuals.com/ mochyn

Nell's Necessities. TTouch Homestead

What about "nothing but..."

The market is pretty competitive...I had thought of doing something similar but there are that many cheese, soap, milk, cream, ice cream, you name it makers round here it is a nightmare to think of anything that isn't currently available!
Nell Merionwen

I'd start by listing all the current brand names so at least you don't accidentally use something too similar.

EV

I'm will never be able to be totally exclusive with what I am doing. As you said it is a fairly saturated market.
However, I do plan to use herbalism as an angle. I plan for a luxurious yet natural product. In as far as I can all preservatives and additives will be natural and as organic as I can make them. I plan to use Vitamin E as an antioxidant. To avoid using any preservatives I may have to keep to a relatively short shelf life in any product that is water based. I need to look further into this. There are several organically certified preservatives out there but they run a risk of skin irritation.
marigold

Have you thought about selling ingredients and instructions rather than (or in addition to) products? Might be more straightforward and profitable. Buy in bulk, repackage nicely with instruction booklet and sell as kits. mochyn

Have you thought about selling ingredients and instructions rather than (or in addition to) products? Might be more straightforward and profitable. Buy in bulk, repackage nicely with instruction booklet and sell as kits.

Excellent idea.
boisdevie1

Nells' Naturals - a range of ......... lettucewoman

Nells' Naturals - a range of .........

Already one out there selling natural medicines... Sad
lettucewoman

No one has Merionwen Naturals though...and if you put Merionwen into google its mostly you who pops up! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy earthyvirgo

Have you thought about selling ingredients and instructions rather than (or in addition to) products? Might be more straightforward and profitable. Buy in bulk, repackage nicely with instruction booklet and sell as kits.

Nifty idea Marigold.

EV
earthyvirgo

EV

I'm will never be able to be totally exclusive with what I am doing. As you said it is a fairly saturated market.
However, I do plan to use herbalism as an angle. I plan for a luxurious yet natural product. In as far as I can all preservatives and additives will be natural and as organic as I can make them. I plan to use Vitamin E as an antioxidant. To avoid using any preservatives I may have to keep to a relatively short shelf life in any product that is water based. I need to look further into this. There are several organically certified preservatives out there but they run a risk of skin irritation.

Re organic, it's a toughy.
You can't call anything Organic on the label (or rather shouldn't) unless it is, 100%. ...but you know that anyway Smile

I'm just thinking back to Dragon's Den episodes of the past when people have been slated by the likes of Bannatyne and his merry crew when they've claimed things that are 'almost' this or that.

EV
boisdevie1

Naughty Nells' Essentials? earthyvirgo

I know it's totally inappropriate but I just keep thinking.

"Nell's Bells"

...no way you can tie in bells to your products is there Nell? Smile

EV
sally_in_wales

Nell's Belles? Behemoth

All I can think off is Body Slop, which isn't very helpful. Sorry. Will keep churning ideas. lettucewoman

http://thecraftlounge.com/2012/03/25/new-nells-belles-in-the-shop-2/

This is in the us I think...so prollly doesnt matter... Merionwen's Naturals still turns up nothing but you... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
boisdevie1

http://thecraftlounge.com/2012/03/25/new-nells-belles-in-the-shop-2/

This is in the us I think...so prollly doesnt matter... Merionwen's Naturals still turns up nothing but you... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But the word 'Merionwen' doesn't exactly trip off the tongue does it?
lettucewoman

I think it does...it's such a pretty name! I would even use it on its own,,, Merionwen...natural pampering or something like that...but its upto Nell...I just liked the fact that its pretty exclusive as things stand... Mary-Jane

I think it does...it's such a pretty name! I would even use it on its own,,, Merionwen...natural pampering or something like that...but its upto Nell...I just liked the fact that its pretty exclusive as things stand...

I completely agree Megan. I think it's a very catchy, pretty name.
sally_in_wales

I agree, Merionwen is nice, and allows you to develop into other areas as needed. Nick

I'm with Bois. Its hard to remember and pronounce. dpack

I'm with Bois. Its hard to remember and pronounce.

the pink pound is a serious chunk of the economy for pamper products
Went

I'm with Bois. Its hard to remember and pronounce.

the pink pound is a serious chunk of the economy for pamper products

All men should moisturise.... Very Happy
sean

Which bits? Nell Merionwen

Merionwen...Nature's bounty?
something like that?

@Sean
As for moisturising Men's bits.... Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
Went

Which bits?

Start with the hands and face Sean, not that I am saying you need to as I have never met you. The rest will be at your own discretion. Cool
Went

something like that?

I like that and it has potential but if you are going to have the tag of Nature's bounty you still don't describe your range and another tag line would be cumbersome. Perhaps think about making Nature's bounty + another word, your full tag.

For example: Merionwen: Nature's bounty body products.
Nell Merionwen

something like that?

I like that and it has potential but if you are going to have the tag of Nature's bounty you still don't describe your range and another tag line would be cumbersome. Perhaps think about making Nature's bounty + another word, your full tag.

For example: Merionwen: Nature's bounty body products.

I see where you are coming from. i like the idea for Nature's bounty encompassing the other aspects of my work too. The aromatherapy and so on.

sort of Merionwen: Nature's bounty body products
Merionwen: Nature's bounty aromatherapy
Merionwen: Nature's bounty hot stone massage
and so on......
Went

That sounds like a plan to me.... open to growth and development. It has a good feel to me. Smile Nell Merionwen

ok
Merionwen: Nature's Bounty it is.
Just need BA to come home and register it now.
vegplot

I was just about to suggest Bare Nell. Nell Merionwen

I was just about to suggest Bare Nell.

Rolling Eyes Laughing
lettucewoman

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy alison

I don't think people will spell it right, when they are looking for a website. You need something punchy and easy to spell.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home