Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
alex.swann

Question but no photo's afraid

hello all.

Question of digestion again and an id one too.

I found some shaggy parasols - in the woods.

Some say you can eat them others not. Anyone actually Know?

Also found a great big boltus. Brown on top, 20cm across yellow flkesh that rapidly turned blue - any ideas - I couldn't find it anywhere.

Alex
nettie

Your boletus could be one of a number - if you could get a photo that would be great.

As to shaggy parasols, some can eat them, some can't. The only way to test is to try a bit and see if you spend the next day chained to the loo pottytrain5 Very Happy
cab

Re: Question but no photo's afraid

alex.swann wrote:
hello all.

Question of digestion again and an id one too.

I found some shaggy parasols - in the woods.

Some say you can eat them others not. Anyone actually Know?

I eat them and really enjoy them. Fanastic shrooms. Might be the favourite mushroom of she who must be obeyed.

Some people can't stomach them, and end up being a little ill or, shall we say, runny. I think Nettie struggles with shaggy parasols.

I would say its worth trying a small sample, because they're very tasty, but don't pig out till you know you get on with them. That's my advice for ANY new mushroom species.

Quote:
Also found a great big boltus. Brown on top, 20cm across yellow flkesh that rapidly turned blue - any ideas - I couldn't find it anywhere.

Alex

Very hard to say... tell us more abput the stem colour and patterns, the colour of the pores, whether it was wet and gooey or stcky, what trees it was with, what bits turned blue, how blue it went, etc. Wild stab in the dark; Boletus appendiculatus.
dpack

shaggy parasols are ok with me and those i have seen eat them
maybe some have eaten shaggy ink caps and had a beer and not enjoyed the next couple of days ?
might that account for the dodgy reputation ?
sally_in_wales

I've only eaten ink caps a couple of times and found them seriously delicious, but I do recall being advised not to drink with them. the combination seems to compound the potential upsets if they don't agree with you.
Stewy

I was led to believe that Shaggy Ink Caps are fine with booze as they don't contain Coprine, unlike the Common Ink Cap amongst others, anyone confirm this ?
emilyluddite

i have eaten shagging ink caps and found them ok but shaggy parasols are better. we had some last week, briefly fried with some lamb chops, delicious! There is a field near here where they come up every year, in the same spot.it's a matter of catching them before they get wormy as they are in long grass and not easy to spot. there are quite a lot of shaggy ink caps in my lawn at the moment, if i don't eat them i will leave them to spread for next year.
emilyluddite

Sorry that should have read "Shaggy ink caps" !!
cab

Stewy wrote:
I was led to believe that Shaggy Ink Caps are fine with booze as they don't contain Coprine, unlike the Common Ink Cap amongst others, anyone confirm this ?

Spot on.
cab

emilyluddite wrote:
Sorry that should have read "Shaggy ink caps" !!

Oh, I dunno though,I liked your other version Laughing

I'm a huge fan of shaggy ink caps, but unless you get a lot of them they can be disappointing. There wasa field up in Nottinhgham where you could rely on picking them by the sackload every year, and when cleane up and stewed down in milk (with seasoning) and then blended they make one of the most sublime mushroom soups you'll ever taste. Very subtle flavours. But you need a lot, and if you've only got a few then those flavours can easily be missed.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home