Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sally_in_wales

Re-plumbing a dead burco boiler

I think I know what I need to do, but would welcome any cunning thoughts.

Right. Have a friend with an outside woodfired oven, think small tellytubby mound with a hole in the front. Have just aquired a large dead Burco water boiler, the sort where you can see the element at the bottom of the steel urn, with a tap on the front.

What we want to do is use small bore copper pipe (we have a roll of it) and wrap that round the dome over the bricks but under the earth daub so it catches the oven heat, then run that through the boiler at one corner of the oven so it heats water for dyeing (I suspect it wouldnt be a good idea to heat water for washing or cooking this way as it won't be easy to flush the copper pipe through once its installed). The theory is, as our bread cooks, we can have a dyebath steaming away and be smugly energy efficient about the whole process.

What I'm not quite sure about is where to attach the piping to the Burco, I have three ideas:
One pipe low, one high to encourage the convection of heat
Both pipe ends low, effectively take out the element and replace with copper pipe but allow water easy access
Seal the pipe (with what inside it?) so its a closed system and the water poured into the urn doesnt actually travel round inside the spiral at all. I think I like this idea best at the moment, but would welcome refinements to the overall plan Very Happy
kevin.vinke

I would try and keep it even more simple and put a frame round your oven and sit the Burco on top.
BTW they arenīt difficult or expensive to repair. The simmerstats and elements are relatively cheap and donīt have to be Burco parts.
dougal

I think repairing the Burco is the best option.
The large 'vat' is the expensive/valuable bit!

To use the oven heat as you intend, the Burco is going to have to be mounted *higher* than the oven somehow (heat rises, and that goes for a thermosyphon too) or else you are going to need a circulating pump ...
And its going to have to stay there, fixed by its pipes. Not pretty, convenient or likely to be durable, I fear.
The pipe through the oven is going to need to be vented (not sealed) otherwise there's the risk of an explosively burst pipe, and with any possibility of water in the structure of the oven, there could be a catastrophic explosion...
And I don't think sealing the copper pipe to the Burco vat (remembering heating/cooling expansion/contraction) is a trivial project.

Better to fix the Burco, IMHO.
RichardW

But if you do do it. Standard metal flange fittings will seal the pipe to the burco.

Justme
mochyn

I've got an old Burco in the feed store. Wonder what I could use it for? Or would anyone like it?
judith

mochyn wrote:
I've got an old Burco in the feed store. Wonder what I could use it for? Or would anyone like it?

V. useful for for keeping the water hot if you wet pluck.
sean

How large? They're useful for brewing if big enough.
mochyn

OK it looks like I need it, then. Strike the last sentence in my last post.
kevin.vinke

They are very useful and if working can go for a few quid quite often thrown out during restaurant refits etc.
alison

good for cleaning bee keeping equipment too.
mochyn

alison wrote:
good for cleaning bee keeping equipment too.

Explain? Please?
RichardW

judith wrote:
mochyn wrote:

V. useful for for keeping the water hot if you wet pluck.

Thats what we do with ours when we do large batches of chickens.

Justme
alison

Soda crystals and water, turned on, up to temperature. Cleans up frames (reusable ones, with wax cut out) and tools, taken apart smoker etc.
mochyn

alison wrote:
Soda crystals and water, turned on, up to temperature. Cleans up frames (reusable ones, with wax cut out) and tools, taken apart smoker etc.

Ooh! A beekeeping 'handy hint and tip'! Cheers. Me & Chez (beekeepers co-op) will remember that.

And I know it should be 'Chez & I".

M-J.
lowri

Are washers for the tap on the front of a Burco still available? The element, etc is still OK but the tap dribbles. Very useful item for hot dyeing! Smile
dougal

lowri wrote:
Are washers for the tap on the front of a Burco still available? The element, etc is still OK but the tap dribbles. Very useful item for hot dyeing! Smile

Dunno about the washer as a specific item ...
but UK-Google-ing
burco spares
brought up loads of links including
http://www.kb-catering.co.uk/acatalog/Burco_spares.html

My guess is that the hole for the tap is likely to be a pretty standard size, whether or not the various types of taps they may have fitted over the years actually use standard consumable washers...
kevin.vinke

Depends on the age. It may be quicker and easier to change the tap for a top hat type (description of the silicone type seal which fits inside the tap) they do deteriorate over time but take only minutes to change.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home