Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Barefoot Andrew

Reading/Leeds coverage on Beeb3 from tonight

So... who's going to be watching The Cure? Very Happy
A.
Behemoth

I saw them on the last night of their disintegration tour. Kept going til the venu pulled the plug. There was a massive thunderstorm and lots of mud, which complimented the event.
Jamanda

The 12 year old presenter has just introduced a bit of history about the Cure for people who might not have heard of them before Laughing
joanne

Me me me!
Jamanda

Laughing I thought you might be there for real!
joanne

Laughing I thought you might be there for real!

I'd love to have gone to Leeds tomorrow night but I just don't fancy swimming in mud - I just wish they'd do another tour Smile
Barefoot Andrew

The 12 year old presenter

Laughing vaguely irritating isn't he?

Quote:
has just introduced a bit of history about the Cure for people who might not have heard of them before Laughing

Quite a good insert.

Right, I'm switching from computer to proper telly and stereo downstairs.

A.
Jamanda

It was, it was just the way he suggested he was introducing someone from beyond the age of time Laughing

Anyhoo, they're on now.
Barefoot Andrew

Also interesting is Idris Elba's how clubbing changed the world on C4. It's live now until midnight.
A.

ETA ...although C4 streaming is a being a bit useless ATM.
Nell Merionwen

I love love love the cure. Saw them years ago. They were ace! Behemoth

Scuzzy shared house, no food, funny smoke and just enough god awful booze.... Strange how it takes you back. Behemoth

By the way it is totally totaLly pissing down here in Leeds. Mary-Jane

Jack's at Reading Festival - his first one. stumbling goat

My son has gone to Reading, second year running.

Last year as I dropped him off the rain started. Yesterday evening as I dropped him and his friend off, the rain started.

Apparently there are no shower facilities, just a water taps on stand pipes. Lovely.

sg
LynneA

Last Reading I went to was in 1993, when Nirvana headlined. After a bad experience at a previous festival I was supposed to be covering (fiend whose tent I was sharing had pulled and I ended up sleeping under a crusty band's van and getting early stage hypothermia), I stayed off site. I managed to get a B&B room within walking distance of the site and ended up with about 8 friends crashing there. I ended up sleeping in a Lloyd Loom chair on the balcony.

Another advantage of having a press pass was that I wasn't searched too thoroughly, and I smuggled decent booze & M&S sandwiches in as well. Loads of more rock n roll stories I could tell, but there was something very subversive about being practical and sensible.

Happy days, but don't think I could physically cope with it anymore
Jamanda

Jack's at Reading Festival - his first one.

He'll come home stinking to high heaven, covered in mud and having had a wonderful time. Very Happy
Barefoot Andrew

He'll come home stinking to high heaven, covered in mud and having had a wonderful time. Very Happy

Something to look forward to Laughing

I've been to Reading several times, but never to actually camp Shocked
A.
sean

Watching the second bit on iplayer now. I like the way that Reeves Gabrels can't be bothered to try to look young or gothy or anything and has a folder with the chord charts at his feet *but* is doing all the cool bits musically. Very Happy Barefoot Andrew

Kasabian are live right now - they're playing on my 2nd monitor Wink Cracking gig so far.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Watching a live gig on the telly/puter is almost as exciting as actually being there - especially whilst exchanging texts with friends who are there. Watching coverage after it has happened isn't quite the same.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Best bits for me so far are Kasabian (warning - lots of ripe language) and Foster The People.

Looking forward to the Black Keys tonight... and if they're your bag check out Wet Nuns.
A.
sean

I just don't get Kasabian. The Maccabees are in my 'not sure' file. LynneA

Black Keys today. Missed them at Ally Pally as I was in plaster. Barefoot Andrew

Medical plaster or a very wayward building project? Laughing
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Needless to say Django Django were fab Very Happy

Kaiser's earlier set now on Beeb 3.
A.
stumbling goat

The Kaiser Chiefs are doing well, or Kasier Chiefs as listed on the sub titles ?

And at least it is not raining, yet!!

sg
Mary-Jane

Jack's at Reading Festival - his first one.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to that... Neutral
Barefoot Andrew

I went to my first Reading 12 years ago. Looking at the average age of the crowd I'm feeling really old now Confused They were all whippersnappers the last time I was there too.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Ooh, Of Monsters and Men look nothing like I imagined Shocked Good band - been on 6Music quite a lot lately.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

The excellent Two Door Cinema Club now live from the R1 NME tent.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Foos now on, about whom I'm somewhat ambivalent. They can be on in the background whilst I get on with some work.
A.

ETA Has Taylor Hawkins got the biggest gnashers in the rock world? Discuss.
Jamanda

We have our own micro-festival happening this afternoon. We watched a Rock-a-billy covers band who were fine, Infuze (generally known as Beth's dad's band) who have got a young woman with a fantastic voice fronting for them and were very good, and the Benson brothers and Jacob, again very talented young people.

The beer tent was run by a greengrocer with no idea of how old people are, so the younger teens were all very happy. Ben and his friends spent all afternoon trying to organise the younger children into footballl teams.

All free and very good natured.
Barefoot Andrew

Sounds a fab afternoon.
A.
Jamanda

Sounds a fab afternoon.
A.

It was. Currently extending BW's musical education by watching TOTP2. At Kagaggogoo coming on he commented "what's wrong with his hair?"
Barefoot Andrew

Laughing

Meanwhile, how am I supposed to get another beer with a pusscat on my lap? Confused
A.
Jamanda

Dunno Laughing

BW's comment was - that wasn't a festival, that was a field full of mud!

How do you answer that?
Barefoot Andrew

The two are synonymous Wink
A.
Jamanda

A.

That's what I explained. Using Glastonbury 1989 as an example. Gosh I am old!
Barefoot Andrew

Couldn't possibly comment.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

Just back in from shutting up the chickens. It's parky out there Shocked Glad I'm in my nice warm office and not standing in some Berkshire field.
A.
Nick

A.

I was there. Off my face, enjoying the Cure and the Happy Mondays.

Eta. Maybe that was 1990...
Jamanda

A.

I was there. Off my face, enjoying the Cure and the Happy Mondays.

Eta. Maybe that was 1990...

Same year, Seanad (no idea how to spell that) O'Connor in a helicopter annd Archaos.
Nick

Took me three days to find out the helicopter landing wasn't me imagining things, but real. Mary-Jane

Jack just texted me to say he'd be home early afternoon...and both he and his girlfriend Cadi have got food poisoning from the camp site food Shocked sean

Hmm, beer poisoning seems more likely. Wink Mary-Jane

Hmm, beer poisoning seems more likely. Wink

Just what I said, but he assures me it was the food Laughing
LynneA

I refer to my previous post about sandwich smuggling. Also my photographer friend Jeff and I used to buy two ice creams, one with a flake. The put half the flake in the plain ice cream and call it a 69.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home