Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
alison

Reducing Bills

We are running the electricity challenge again, starting Sunday, so now lets get together and be creative, thinking of how we can reduce those power bills even more.

All ideas here please.
Nick

Children. I keep the heating as low as practical, cook with a full oven whenever I can, don't over fill the kettle, etc, but kids. KIDS.

Lights on, playstations and tvs and radios and DVD players and drumkits left on all the time. And doors left wide open to the outside world.

Reigning them in would half my bills, I am certain.

Can I quantify, easily, how much they cost me, so I can reward them, perhaps by giving them 50% of my savings as pocket money, easily and visually?
vegplot

Nick wrote:
Children. I keep the heating as low as practical, cook with a full oven whenever I can, don't over fill the kettle, etc, but kids. KIDS.

Lights on, playstations and tvs and radios and DVD players and drumkits left on all the time. And doors left wide open to the outside world.

Reigning them in would half my bills, I am certain.

Can I quantify, easily, how much they cost me, so I can reward them, perhaps by giving them 50% of my savings as pocket money, easily and visually?


eBay all their electrical goods. Smile
JB

Nick wrote:
Children. I keep the heating as low as practical, cook with a full oven whenever I can, don't over fill the kettle, etc, but kids. KIDS.

Lights on, playstations and tvs and radios and DVD players and drumkits left on all the time. And doors left wide open to the outside world.

Reigning them in would half my bills, I am certain.

Can I quantify, easily, how much they cost me, so I can reward them, perhaps by giving them 50% of my savings as pocket money, easily and visually?


It's not just children - adults are just as bad. We use about 9 - 10 KWh / day, as soon as we have guests that rises to 15-20 KWh / day as they leave everything on standby, boil full kettles, use every light in a room ...
Behemoth

....and then my mother in law arrives.

"I'll just tumble dry this jumper...."
JB

Behemoth wrote:
....and then my mother in law arrives.

"I'll just tumble dry this jumper...."


That's definitely true. When my MIL is due to visit we save up our laundry so she'll have something to do but it does mean the washnig machine, tumble drier and iron running continuously for a fortnight (apart from when some soap opera is on)
cab

Don't have a tumble drier. Don't have a dish washer.

Think before turning on an electrical gadget; can you use a pestle and mortar instead of an electric grinder? Can you use a bit and brace to put a hole in something and not get the electric drill out? You'll probably find that for most little jobs the manual approach is faster than setting up the gadget too.

Insulation is only as good as you let it be; if you're going to lag the loft, fit double glazing etc. then at least have the sense to shut the windows and doors when its cold.

Energy saving lights use less energy again when you remember to turn them off.

Unplug those stupid chargers when your kit (whatever it is) has charged.
Behemoth

cab wrote:
Don't have a tumble drier. Don't have a dish washer.


We've discussed this before.

Have one if you want, use it only when you have to...although different people's idea of a priority will impact on this. i.e. the MIL washing and drying the jumper on the day she wanted to wear it ("it's a priority") rather than washing it the day before and letting it dry on the clothes horse ("that's planning"). There are times, as a family, that we need the tumble drier. As bloke looking after myself, never needed one.
marigold

As I don't have children, in laws, a tumble dryer, dishwasher or TV and I don't have music playing non-stop, put the heating unless I'm really cold with four layers of clothes on, cook very much or leave lights on in unoccupied rooms (well, not often anyway Wink), I'm at a loss to think up ways I can make significant savings. Apart from the dreaded energy saving lightbulbs, that is, and I'm NOT having any more of them in the house.
Greenfoot

marigold wrote:
As I don't have children, in laws, a tumble dryer, dishwasher or TV and I don't have music playing non-stop, put the heating unless I'm really cold with four layers of clothes on, cook very much or leave lights on in unoccupied rooms (well, not often anyway Wink), I'm at a loss to think up ways I can make significant savings. Apart from the dreaded energy saving lightbulbs, that is, and I'm NOT having any more of them in the house.



spend less time on the pc? Embarassed
boisdevie1

Thermal underwear. In the house when it's 14 degrees I'm happy. But the others find it 'cold'. Wear more clothes.
lottie

JB wrote:


It's not just children - adults are just as bad. We use about 9 - 10 KWh / day, as soon as we have guests that rises to 15-20 KWh / day as they leave everything on standby, boil full kettles, use every light in a room ...

My fuel usage just about quadrupled over the christmas holidays----I'm happy to keep the heating at tropical levels for the80++ year olds ---but no one ever turned a light or anything else off--D.D. even insisted on both hall lights on all night---so she didn't have to turn the bedside light on and wake her idle husband if the toddler woke up!
JB

lottie wrote:
... D.D. even insisted on both hall lights on all night---so she didn't have to turn the bedside light on and wake her idle husband if the toddler woke up!


We don't use the hall light but we use a couple of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plug-in-Night-Light-with-Sensor/dp/B000Y33P1E/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

0.4 W and it's enough to find your way in the middle of the night
lottie

Yes I've got those ---but she wanted light enough from them for the bedroom so as not to wake hubby in the night Mad
Went

lottie wrote:
Yes I've got those ---but she wanted light enough from them for the bedroom so as not to wake hubby in the night Mad


Flourescent Slippers?
lottie

How about putting on the bedside light if the child wakes up---like normal people without spoilt[Greek] husbands do----or even heaven forbid said husband waking up taking his turn---sorry totally off post Embarassed ----but the end result was burning needless electric
Rob R

Nick wrote:
Children. I keep the heating as low as practical, cook with a full oven whenever I can, don't over fill the kettle, etc, but kids. KIDS.

Lights on, playstations and tvs and radios and DVD players and drumkits left on all the time. And doors left wide open to the outside world.


I thought that was parents Rolling Eyes
lily

Block up (permanent or temporary) unused chimneys. Had this done last year and its saved us a fortune. Hardly put on the central heating this winter.
marigold

Greenfoot wrote:
marigold wrote:
As I don't have children, in laws, a tumble dryer, dishwasher or TV and I don't have music playing non-stop, put the heating unless I'm really cold with four layers of clothes on, cook very much or leave lights on in unoccupied rooms (well, not often anyway Wink), I'm at a loss to think up ways I can make significant savings. Apart from the dreaded energy saving lightbulbs, that is, and I'm NOT having any more of them in the house.



spend less time on the pc? Embarassed


I couldn't let my fans down Laughing .
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home