Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Rob R

Reedbed water treatment

Having seen it last night on BRC, I figure that great men think alike Very Happy as we plan to divert all our dirty water & sewage through a reed bed system- anyone else already done/doing it?
jema

I'd love to hear more about it, it did sound fascinating.

jema
Rob R

That was quick jema! It is something we have planned for years now & I'm looking forward to putting it into practise. It is a fascinating process- though not everyone seems to get quite as excited about a sewage treatment system Laughing Our's should deal with both domestic & agricultural waste, so it will kill two birds with one stone. Cool

See: http://www.johnstonsmith.co.uk/fact17.html for more info.
jema

I was a bit staggered with the program last night kind of implying it could be up and running quicker than a plumber fixing a tap Shocked

jema
mrutty

Yeah it is fast. There was I think a Tomorrow's World special or maybe a Geoff Hamilton one off that showed that the pure water could be out in a matter of weeks.

The Mars mission planners are using leafy greens to do the same sort of thing.
tahir

The thing I've always wondered is how smelly they get
Rob R

Tahir wrote:
The thing I've always wondered is how smelly they get

Unless you go disturbing them, not at all
tahir

Even right at the start? There were hardly any roots in HFW's and he was talking about starting uing it in a couple of weeks
Jon

I believe the first proper paying customers were at the HQ in early June,
got a pic of it then

Pic of Reed Bed

That was taken 9th June, you can see how well it has grown.
Jonnyboy

I don't have room for a reedbed but i can achieve the same thing with a biotank.

http://www.biotank.co.uk/
Rob R

Really, I'm just looking for someone who already has one, so I go around & have a poke about in it & pick up some tips Very Happy Cool
tahir

That biotank looks really good and the firm's just up the road from me
Rob R

My mistake, I am not looking at a reedbed system, it's a "Wetland Ecosystem Treatment" facility- the difference being the lack of gravel & the more complex use of multispecies planting Rolling Eyes So, if anyone has a W.E.T. system, I'd be interested to hear about it...

Dorset seems a long way to go to poke around in a bog Laughing
tahir

Didn't know there were so many options available.
Rob R

Tahir wrote:
Didn't know there were so many options available.

It's a big subject, when you look into it Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home