Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Nick

Refreshing silicone sealant

Currently decorating a house throughout. Windows are upvc with plastic surrounds. All sealed with silicone which is old, grey and tired. I do not want to scrape it all out and replace. Is there some way to make it shiny and smart? I’m thinking like one of those grouting pens you can buy.

Or will something like vinegar and elbow grease give it back its youthful lustre?
gz

Sounds like ours...old,grey,tired,dried out and leaking draughts like crazy.

One solution...renew..which unfortunately being too cold and not dry I assume we can't do it,yet...
sean

Nope. Remove and replace I'm afraid.
dpack

a very sharp 1 " chisel and quite a lot of stanley knife blades are required.

stan for against masonry etc etc , the chisel for "planing" silicone off the plastic

a wet blade will help a lot

ps by sharp i really mean sharp enough to shave with Wink

pps with old stuff it is sometimes possible to get an end free and pull out the entire bead as a string ( stan can assist with loosening the odd snag )
Nick

Turns out you can buy this.

https://www.diy.com/departments/unibond-ready-to-use-renew-white-silicone-sealant/1414955_BQ.prd?dclid=CNvLjpSM0dkCFdgQGwodNbMEag&ds_kids=92700029896532720&gclid=CjwKCAiArOnUBRBJEiwAX0rG_StYG6fYNgjBhnvyCg5n5h-GlTlD5dSW1Xsoil_okrr1OhDSrribQRoC_kQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&ppc_type=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Building_+_Generic&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google_cpc

It goes on like a dream and makes it look brand new. Ace stuff. There’s nothing wrong with the existing stuff, it’s just grubby.
sean

I stand corrected. What a time to be alive.
gythagirl

Laughing
dpack

umm a new cosmetic layer. sounds good so long as the original still has full adhesion to form a waterproof seal.
mochyn

Stop this: coming up with answers to minor problems when I'm supposed to be writing an essay, not lollygagging on here!
dpack

Laughing
derbyshiredowser

Stop this: coming up with answers to minor problems when I'm supposed to be writing an essay, not lollygagging on here!

Its not a minor problem if your neighbours are constantly moaning about how your silicon sealant is discoloured compared to other houses in the street. These are the sort of problems that can keep you awake during the night, at present I worry that if all the worlds Tetrion filler was recalled then my house would fall down Shocked
Nick

Naysayers will be disillusioned to hear it was internal, it was fully functional, just grubby. This lowers the retail value, ‘kerb appeal’, my income and the tax I pay. And I couldn’t give a cold piss what the neighbours think.
gythagirl

Never mind the neighbours, last year we had a couple of friends from Down Under stay and she-friend wagged her finger at me in a light-hearted manner and told me how I could remove the limescale from the shower glass and then keep it shiny...they have 2 super-gorgeous rooms in their super-gorgeous house on AirBnB but I'm sure they don't have the limescale issues we have Wink

They're still very good friends Laughing
Mistress Rose

Yes, limescale is a problem here too. Very hard to keep everything shining when it wants to get covered in a thin film of the stuff. I have also found, now having a nice white bathroom suite, that it is pale brown and not white as I had thought, previously having avocado and brown sinks.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home