- 280g/10oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 110g/4oz demerara sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 110g/4oz butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 300ml/half pint unsweetened stewed fruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F/ Gas 4.
- Line the base of a 23cm/ 9inch cake tin and butter the sides.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and the two sugars.
- Make a well in the centre and add the butter, eggs, stewed fruit and vanilla extract.
- Beat the whole lot together well, then pour into the tin.
- Smooth down lightly, then spinkle another 1.5-2 tablespoons demerara sugar evenly over the surface. Bake for about 45 minutes, until firm to the touch. Test with a skewer - if it comes out clean it's done. Let the cake cool for at least 15 minutes in the tin before turning out.
Given to me by a friend but taken originally from Sophie Grigson's Country Kitchen. It originally uses gooseberries but I think you could experiment with different fruit purees.