Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Salad

Took a stroll around on Saturday before going to a party. Gathered sorrel, rape, black mustard, chickweed, dandelion, cuckoo flower, dandelion, hawthorn buds and other bits and bobs. Presented our hostess with a salad to go with the rest of the party grub, and as ever fielded questions about the bowl full of food all night.

Always strikes me as odd that people ask how I know which plant is which... isn't a better question howcome so many people don't?
Kinnopio

From the sounds of it the salad would have looked and tasted great! But were people wary about trying it or did it all disappear?
cab

Didn't all go, but an awful lot of it did. I think that my reputation for not poisoning people helps Smile
dpack

cab wrote:
Didn't all go, but an awful lot of it did. I think that my reputation for not poisoning people helps Smile

it does doesnt it Laughing
my mates sometimes watch me for a few hours before they will tuck in though Laughing
doctoral

Wink I seem to be almost trusted with mushrooms, probably largely because I haven't even made anyone sick yet. It always amazes me how people will eat shellfish that is days old and then complain that they have got food poisoning - big surprise - if you don't know what you are eating, don't eat it - that includes the plethora of bacteria that grows on out-of-date food! Evil or Very Mad
wildfoodie

inspired by your tales of wild salad Cab, I tried one out on some friends today...
in the mix was a few shreds of cos, lettuce, some rocket from the garden, some primrose flowers, ox eye daisy leaves, dandelion leaves, topped up with a handful of roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds. very tasty! I also got some bramble shoots which went into the greens on toast in the end, but were really tasty if a bit on the dry side when raw. they cooked up a treat with nettles and a grating of parmesan - had a lovely nutty flavour. recommended!

yesterdays salad was as above with a few lawn daisies, ground elder, sorrel, baby beetroot leaves and spinach leaves, plus some three cornered leek stems - so good I photo'd it before eating
pic here:

btw the glass contains elderflower cordial from last year - still delicious!
cab

Wildfoodie, on your tip I've taken to eating the occasional ox-eye daisy leaf. Very nice!

Incidentally, I've got wild garlic (Allium ursinum) self seeding in amongst my strawberries, hence I've got to weed some out. Want some?
wildfoodie

oooohhhhh yes please!!! swap u for a jar of my minced ransomes if you like... gimme a bell on the mobile if you still have the number - pm'd in case not
doctoral

Twisted Evil OK, thats it - I'm moving to Cambridge - better mushrooms, better salad leaves and better wild food generally ... you lot just wait until I post the pics of the next Giant Puffball !!!
cab

doctoral wrote:
Twisted Evil OK, thats it - I'm moving to Cambridge - better mushrooms, better salad leaves and better wild food generally

Although the vast bulk of soft fruit that I harvest (currants, gooseberries, dewberries and damsons) just got demolished, and unless it rains heavily soon there'll be no St. Georges shrooms in these parts Sad
doctoral

Sad ... ohhh, for a St Georges shroom ....
wildfoodie

Quote:
I harvest (currants, gooseberries, dewberries and damsons) just got demolished,

I hope that's not where I think it is..... anything to do with the guided bus malarkey???
cab

wildfoodie wrote:

I hope that's not where I think it is..... anything to do with the guided bus malarkey???

It quite possibly is where you think it is, and yes, its entirely due to the guided bus malarkey.

They also destroyed three perfectly good patches of asparagus, a near limitless supply of greens (sorrel, ox eye daisy, nettle... all sorts of things), four or five superb apple trees, a huge stand of plum trees I shared with a badger, all the gooseberries you could want, and the single best habitat I've seen for common lizards this far north. Also, I strongly suspect but can't confirm, they've destroyed one of our few remaining spots for native fireflies (although theres another one, maybe two, in these parts, cyclable from Cambridge... not allowed to divulge where in public, though Wink )
Jamanda

cab wrote:
wildfoodie wrote:

It quite possibly is where you think it is, and yes, its entirely due to the guided bus malarkey.

They also destroyed three perfectly good patches of asparagus, a near limitless supply of greens (sorrel, ox eye daisy, nettle... all sorts of things), four or five superb apple trees, a huge stand of plum trees I shared with a badger, all the gooseberries you could want, and the single best habitat I've seen for common lizards this far north. Also, I strongly suspect but can't confirm, they've destroyed one of our few remaining spots for native fireflies (although theres another one, maybe two, in these parts, cyclable from Cambridge... not allowed to divulge where in public, though Wink )

B******ds Mad I've never even seen a fire fly! Oh, that makes me cross.
cab

Yep, its made a lot of people cross. The consultation on this guided bus wasn't merely overwhelmingly against, it was entirely against (of thousands of responses, you could could those 'for' on one hand, literally). It links two transport congestion points with a 'guided bus' route, for which they're digging up a railway, and the new route will have a slower average speed than the road it avoids. The only way it'll ever get passengers will be if the busses that already run that route are cancelled, and that'll mean that those areas not directly on the old railway route will lose out... Its a crazy, mad, destructive project.
Jamanda

What is a "guided bus" anyway?
wildfoodie

Quote:
Its a crazy, mad, destructive project.
born no doubt of some council/government knobhead's wet dream of vast greased palm profits and career 'feather' in cap ( its allegedly the biggest guided bus project in europe) Mad Mad Mad cab's right = the scheme has negligible public support and the seriously deluded planners are marching to the beat of their own drum.
Jamanda
this is the official info site -from cambs county council so biased in favour of the shceme.
http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/
cab

Jamanda wrote:
What is a "guided bus" anyway?

Originally, it was a high tech, rapid transport system two-decker articulated bus that was more 'piloted' than driven.

Then it became clear that wouldn't fit under the bridges, so it became single deck.

And then it became apparent that an articulated bus wouldn't fit through Cambridge, and it would have trouble getting on and off the trackway, so it became a bus.

It is essentially a bus system, running on a concrete gutter that used to be a railway line, more slowly than it could on the road. At the cost of about a hundred million quid, if I remember correctly.
Nick

When's it due for completion? Heard about it, and was staggered that it's happening.
cab

Nick Howe wrote:
When's it due for completion? Heard about it, and was staggered that it's happening.

Frist bit, two or three years if I remember right. We were up there on the old St. Ives line last week, the bit that goes through the North of the city has been decimated already.
Kinnopio

Being at the other end of the guided bus (Huntingdon), I just couldn't understand why they didn't reinstate the old railway. Additionally not only are they doing this but they are also looking to improve the A14 (which admittedly is a pig of a road) - why do both?
cab

Kinnopio wrote:
why do both?

Because they're crazy mad fruitloops, with an interest in getting 'something' done, even if its insane.
Jamanda

Right, so it's a tram! Gutters? Really good for somewhere with lots of bikes Rolling Eyes
cab

Jamanda wrote:
Right, so it's a tram! Gutters? Really good for somewhere with lots of bikes Rolling Eyes

Its a giant gutter, and only on the railway line. Where it leaves that line it isn't even that, its just a bus. So, basically, its a special 'guided busway' that takes busses... or in other words, its a road, and because its narrower than the actual road the busses can't move as fast on it.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home