Sausage, Chickpea Southwestern Stew
- 1 t. olive oil
- 3/4 lb. Italian sausage without casings (I use turkey sausage)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped (I usually use 3 big ones)
- 1 c. diced tomatoes with juice (canned is fine)
- 2 T. jalapenos (or 3T. diced green chillies, if you prefer less heat)
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 t. fresh rosemary, minced
- 4 1/2-5 c. mixed beans (pre-soaked)(chickpeas, kidneys, blacks, navies - whatever you have)
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- chopped fresh cilantro (a/k/a coriander)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Saute sausage and garlic in oil over medium-high heat until sausage just about cooked.
- Reduce heat and add the tomatoes, jalapenos/chillies, cumin and rosemary.
- Simmer 10 minutes, then add the beans and broth.
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper
- Optional garnish: cilantro and avocado slices
This is a versatile recipe, flexible to accommodate whatever ground meat or beans you have on hand. But don't skip the lemon juice (even if you don't have fresh on hand).
Great served with tortilla chips.