Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
steve tomlin

Scythes 2012

The mowing season is well underway now and I've run two courses in mowing with Austrian scythes, one here in Cumbria and one for an orchard group in the Peak District. You can read about the courses here

The Somerset scythe festival is on 16&17 June near Langport with have-a-go sessions, workshops and one-to-one tuition from myself and Austrian expert and yoga teacher Christiane Lechner.

With Anna Karenina in the cinemas this autumn hopefully featuring the mowing scenes we shot last summer, this is going to be a big year for scythes so get involved!
arvo

Did you do the scythe fest last year Steve?

If so I might have met you Smile

Don't know if I'll get chance this year, must check the diary.

I missed out on Christiane's technique surgery last year as I wanted to do the sharpening workshop. It was really good fun.
steve tomlin

hi Arvo,
yep, I go to the Scythe Festival every year and have done since the start. If you get any chance come along, we're all still learning and there's more every year. As well my peening tuition I'll have a couple of 'peening machines' with me this year for people to see and try out.

Steve
Midland Spinner

Just nipped up the garden to mow a space for a new hive. Not a big bit of mowing - that will wait until the flowers have set seed, but I needed a patch clearing.

I love having a scythe.
Finsky

Scythe has been busy here in Notts. too..been just right weather for it too and grass nice and upright so it made the job much easier.

I'm self tought scyther..well..I learned by watching my granparents going on field when I was little girl and taking part of raking the hay and piling it on wooden stakes.
Never knew that would be needing those memories and skills when I get older but about 10yrs ago I saw advert for second hand old wooden shaft scythe. It did needed bit of TLC but has served me well until yesterday...the shaft rotted from the end and snapped... Sad
Luckily I did treated myself last year brand new one and now I've discovered that the old blades that are sooooo much better than the new ones fit the new shaft as well...happy days... Very Happy So my scythe is well kitted up with 4 blades, two grass and two 'bramble'.

Scythes are so much better than strimmers..no noise, no smoke, no running cost, no aggro with misbehaving engines and as long as there is plenty of 'fuel' in the shirt it just keeps going with just occasional 'lick' with stone...much quicker as well than strimmers and what is best..you have whole lenght of the plants left behind and not just green useless mush.
Have I 'sold' any more scythes for anybody yet? Laughing
How have you learned your scything skills?
gil

Hello Steve,
nice to se you on here !
I've not started mowing yet this year, but the grass is about right now, and it's a bit cooler today.
arvo

How have you learned your scything skills?

Got to say, I learned mine from Gil Laughing

Sounds like you've got an English scythe then Finsky? Have you tried out the Austrian ones? Blades on those are ace.
I'm still no expert at peening an sharpening though and I know thats the knack to all scythes. Still not managed the knack in confined spaces yet either (like chicken pens Smile ).
Finsky

Quote:
Sounds like you've got an English scythe then Finsky?

No..I have German Turk scythe..funnily enough that old wooden one was 'same' turk one too. Found evidence of branding still just about visible.
I would love to have Finnish scythe..their blades are really long and narrow and for being so narrow, almost sword like, they cut grass like hot knife of butter.
One of these 'days' I shall try to get one over to UK when doing my travel..I wonder how I'm going to explain that in customs.. Laughing
Here is pic of the Finnish scythe (viikate) http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viikate
arvo

Loving the finish scythe Smile

And also loving the fact that the blade appears to be attached to the snath with gaffer tape Laughing
Chez

Hello Steve,
nice to se you on here !
I've not started mowing yet this year, but the grass is about right now, and it's a bit cooler today.

Are you coming down to the scythe festival, Gil?
Finsky

Quote:
And also loving the fact that the blade appears to be attached to the snath with gaffer tape Laughing

Laughing Yes..well..I suspect it has something to do with that photo is taken from yearly scythe competition..bit like ploughing competitions over here...though no turning soil over should be involved with scythes.
I suspect that chap has made sure that the blade don't come loose while going for it... Wink

The one I just broke was 'mended' permanently with duck tape and did its job happily for 10yrs...but would I had the original ring for the blade I suspect that shaft would have served me for another 10 yrs quite happily Crying or Very sad ..I just love things that are made of wood and my scythe shaft is made of metal..good one, but it just haven't got that right 'feel' about it. ..I might start saving my pocket money and treat myself one day for another wooden one.. Very Happy
SCYTHE FESTIVAL...that sounds FUN..care tell me more about it?....PLEASE.. Very Happy [/quote]
Finsky

Quote:
Still not managed the knack in confined spaces yet either (like chicken pens ).

Ah..razor sharp blade...positioned where near where you want cut and with quick and sharp pull you can cut even in tightest spaces..though with though grass you will need sickle for it and cut it buch at the time...hard work for the back if there is lots to do Rolling Eyes Have you got one of those?..I mean sickle Laughing
arvo

The Scythe Festival is great fun.

It's on a farm not too far from us in Somerset (so there are lovely meadows to mow).
Day 1 is workshops and learning stuff, basic stuff for beginners and experts teaching specific stuff to veterans.

There's stuff on all types of scythes (but the focus tends to be on austrian). There's a shop there where you can buy bits and spares, up to a complete scythe kit.

Usually theres some kind of crazy invention or experiment going on (last year someone had invented a 'sharp-o-meter' to test how sharp everyones scythes were before and after sharpening.

Day 2 - which I missed last year, has competitions (including - can a scythe beat a strimmer).

All great fun.
gil

SCYTHE FESTIVAL...that sounds FUN..care tell me more about it?....PLEASE.. Very Happy

West Country Scythe Festival : details/linky to website are in Steve's first post, above.
Finsky

SCYTHE FESTIVAL...that sounds FUN..care tell me more about it?....PLEASE.. Very Happy

West Country Scythe Festival : details/linky to website are in Steve's first post, above.

Rolling Eyes ..I feel like total dumpty..should have seen that.. Embarassed
Thanks to your both of details Very Happy
bigpaul

yep, we go most years..will be there this year as have a couple of people to meet..from another site.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home