Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Zarza

Show your beauties

I find quite frustrating not having a digital camera and post pictures for mushroom identification, and I can't afford to pay for a camera.

As a result, I thought it would be a great idea for those like me to be able to have a mushroom gallery made by the foragers of this forum. I've found the pictures here of a nice size and much more clearer than in field books or other websites.

Will you post your pictures and tell us which fungus it is? Maybe a section for the poisonous ones and another for the edible ones. Even a section for odd ones (huge size, bizarre colors, etc.)

What do you think about the idea?

C'mon, think of those poor fellows willing to eat everything they see to find out if it's edible or not Laughing Laughing Laughing
cab

Interesting idea!

We've got all sorts of project like that we'd love to do, but it comes down to having time to do it. If you look through the articles we have on wild food, and the pictures in the forum, we've got a huge wealth of information; periodically we trim and tidy whats in the forum and turn it into articles, but we never get enough of that done because Downsizer is very much a free-time thing for us. And most of us spend more of our free time out foraging, on the allotment, in the garden, tending animals etc. than we do compiling articles Laughing

That said, theres nothing stopping any of our members posting compilations of pictures that we've got on the site in new forum postings, asking for comments on each species, so that we could turn those into articles such as the one you've suggested.

Nothing stopping any of our members doing that Wink
Bernie66

Fill your boots.......
Zarza

Quote:
theres nothing stopping any of our members posting compilations of pictures that we've got on the site in new forum postings
thumbleft salute

I'm starting right now
doctoral

Categories

cab wrote:
Interesting idea!

We've got all sorts of project like that we'd love to do, but it comes down to having time to do it. If you look through the articles we have on wild food, and the pictures in the forum, we've got a huge wealth of information; periodically we trim and tidy whats in the forum and turn it into articles, but we never get enough of that done because Downsizer is very much a free-time thing for us. And most of us spend more of our free time out foraging, on the allotment, in the garden, tending animals etc. than we do compiling articles Laughing

That said, theres nothing stopping any of our members posting compilations of pictures that we've got on the site in new forum postings, asking for comments on each species, so that we could turn those into articles such as the one you've suggested.

Nothing stopping any of our members doing that Wink

Question Can we have some categories to put the pics under - could be something like 'Dangerous', 'Suspect', 'Inedible', 'Edible ', 'Edible - Good', 'Choice' as well as a request for 'Fungus ID'. I suggested this elsewhere, as it could become quite a reference work (if not tome).

Thanks - Doctoral
cab

Re: Categories

doctoral wrote:

Question Can we have some categories to put the pics under - could be something like 'Dangerous', 'Suspect', 'Inedible', 'Edible ', 'Edible - Good', 'Choice' as well as a request for 'Fungus ID'. I suggested this elsewhere, as it could become quite a reference work (if not tome).

Thanks - Doctoral

Lets start out getting more pics and descriptions in, and then we can compile them into articles with those categories. Otherwise we're going to get far too many stickies.
Northern_Lad

doctoral wrote:

Thanks - Doctoral

Heck, start it yourself and you can create it anyway you want to. Of course, it won't suit everyone, and others may comment, but that's the same as everything.
You could even work with Zarza to create a fully illustrated list under the different categories.
tahir

cab wrote:
Lets start out getting more pics and descriptions in, and then we can compile them into articles with those categories. Otherwise we're going to get far too many stickies.

If we get enough then I can wangle the glossary component to actually be a searchable DB of types with pics.

Of course this all depends on how many pics we can get in, and someone being able to put together meaningful descriptions adn advice for each species.
mimborin

Sounds like a 'wiki' for mushrooms to me. Good idea!
doctoral

tahir wrote:
cab wrote:

If we get enough then I can wangle the glossary component to actually be a searchable DB of types with pics.

Of course this all depends on how many pics we can get in, and someone being able to put together meaningful descriptions adn advice for each species.

Cool A dB would be the ideal option, then it can be cross referenced properly - if I can offer any help with the design, please shout - I used to design dB's for a living, although not for web consumption.
bagpuss

would some sort of wiki be a good idea for this
tahir

doctoral wrote:
A dB would be the ideal option, then it can be cross referenced properly - if I can offer any help with the design, please shout - I used to design dB's for a living, although not for web consumption.

We've already got a component that could be used for this purpose:

http://www.downsizer.net/index.php?option=com_glossary&func=display&Itemid=99999999&catid=118
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home