Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
mushroom

Sloes. Is it too early?

Whilst out on my bike this weekend I have noticed that the sloes in this area ( Nottingham )seem to be very early, as were the blackberries. Is it too early to pick them to make sloe gin? They appear to be ripe. ie right colour and texture.
jema

I guess only you can tell for sure, but round here they can at first glance look temptingly ripe, but you can still see a light green hue on some, and I think they will get bigger. I'm holding off for a few weeks longer.
cab

If its the right colour and texture then its done. You'll still want to freeze it before making the sloe gin to make the fruit softer.
tahir

They certainly look near enough ripe round our way
VeryCanard

I've been picking mine and putting in the freezer for the past week. I've had to pick now as some are starting to dry in the sun.

Already made up a batch of Gin Laughing

VeryCanard

Quack Quak
jema

I think I may give in and start picking in the next few days, there are just soooo many and sooo tempting.
Bernie66

If you pop up to the Wirral then there are plenty in a certain country walk I know ripe, colourful and just aching to be picked.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

I've picked some for us already on the basis that if I've spotted they look pickable you can bet someone else has - and I've discovered that the hard way in previous years. Confused
gil

Still green here, though starting to darken from within.
jema

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
I've picked some for us already on the basis that if I've spotted they look pickable you can bet someone else has - and I've discovered that the hard way in previous years. Confused

I think you have a lot more of a problem with that your way than round here. All the same that thought is making me twitchy to get picking.
nettie

They're definitely starting to feel squidgy round here. Time to dig a carrier bag out I guess!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home