Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
roobarb

Snuglin hand warmer

I don't work for the company, honest, but I thought I would let you Downsizers know about a product I got for Christmas. It's called a Snuglin www.snuglin.com, and it's like a hand muff with a built in fan heater, that gives out a gentle warmth to both the hands and your lap. I work from home, on a computer all day and our house is quiet cold during the day, so my hands get very cold. The Snuglin gives off just enough heat to keep them warm. The advertising blurb suggests that it costs under 1p/hour to run, and after putting an electricity monitor on it, this seems to be true. So this saves on heating costs, and certainly cheaper than running an electric heater. The initial outlay is a bit high - 50 but if it saves putting on the heating and general well-being is improved, it seems a good investment.
I initially heard a review of it on the Innovation slot on Simon Mayo's Radio 2 programme last year, so I think it must be a fairly new product.
Went

Might get one for my Dad who really feels the cold when sat. 50 bit steep but will investigate further.
Penny Outskirts

It is a shame they're that much, Steve has Raynaud's and really suffers when it's cold. We'll have to save up our pennies.
marigold

I wear a pair of fingerless gloves from the pound shop and sit on a sheepskin that I've owned for over 20 years. And, of course I wear proper layered clothes, not just shirtsleeves, a T-shirt or thin cardigan. Thick woolly socks and sheepskin booties also help.

I can't see any point myself in spending 50 quid plus running costs on an electrical gadget which will last a few years, then probably end up in landfill. My fingerless gloves are synthetic, but all my other winter warmers are biodegradable and long-lasting.

You can get better fingerless gloves than mine and ideally I'd like some made from wool with only the top joints of my fingers exposed, but my cheapo ones do the job and I CBA to learn how to knit gloves.

A wool blanket under your bum and wrapped round your legs is also very cosy.
goldy1

I have a wheat bag pillow last a good while. not sure I Like the idea of the enclosed heating.
Went

Yes I think wheat bags are safer and probably as effective. I can't see the fan being that effective and probably difficult to direct.
marigold

Yes I think wheat bags are safer and probably as effective. I can't see the fan being that effective and probably difficult to direct.

Get your dad a sheepskin to put on his chair - the warming effect of insulating one's bum is amazing! Even an old sweater or synthetic fleece jacket used as a chair liner makes a difference. I use an old sheepskin rug, but you can get posh car seat sheepskins which would probably work with an easy chair or desk chair. More expensive than the fan thing, but longer lasting and low-tech.

Each to their own though, and roobarb's snuglin is much better-looking than my improvised solutions if you've got a nicely decorated home!
Pilsbury

Get your dad a sheepskin to put on his chair - the warming effect of insulating one's bum is amazing! Even an old sweater or synthetic fleece jacket used as a chair liner makes a difference. I use an old sheepskin rug, but you can get posh car seat sheepskins which would probably work with an easy chair or desk chair. More expensive than the fan thing, but longer lasting and low-tech.

Each to their own though, and roobarb's snuglin is much better-looking than my improvised solutions if you've got a nicely decorated home!

Not that much more expensive thanks to rob.....
http://www.grassfeddexterbeef.co.uk/hides/4559971788
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home