Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Barefoot Andrew

So, who done it?

Mayday (Beeb 1, consecutive nights this week) and Broadchurch (ITV, started last night) are two very good dramas at the moment.
A.
henchard

Started to watch Mayday and thought it was complete rubbish. Switched off after half an hour.

Seems to be the BBC version of Midsommer and that IS dire.

Thank god for Spiral.
OtleyLad

We're watching Mayday- but i've no idea who dunnit - my partner's normally really good at spotting the criminal, but not so far.
Glad Otley is not like that village - everyone is a little bit crazy/miserable/grumpy/nasty!
gardening-girl

Watching Mayday,no idea who dun it
Barefoot Andrew

everyone is a little bit crazy/miserable/grumpy/nasty!

Aren't they just Shocked
A.
Snowball

Got it recorded, not watched it yet. No idea who dinnet.
Behemoth

Glad Otley is not like that village - everyone is a little bit crazy/miserable/grumpy/nasty!

Hmmmm yes, moving on.....
Wink
lettucewoman

Mayday is nothing like midsomer..you should have stuck with it! Enjoying it immensely but also have no idea who dunnit... Very Happy Behemoth

is she dead? Chickem

is she dead?
Ooooh... now that would be a good twist!
We're usually pretty good at sussing who done it, but this is very different....So many suspects, compelling to watch.
An unusually good bit of TV! Very Happy
Nell Merionwen

I've suggested to BA she isn't dead. That she has done a bunk with help from the weird accent linus dad.
I also had a theory that they all did it.
chicken feed

I also had a theory that they all did it.

that one had crossed my mind too.

really have no idea but loving the programme.
robkb

Broadchurch was excellent.

Mind you, it's ITV so I'm not putting any money on that sort of quality being maintained for 8 weeks.
Nell Merionwen

Mind you, it's ITV so I'm not putting any money on that sort of quality being maintained for 8 weeks.
It's made by the same people as Mayday. We may be surprised yet.
robkb

It's made by the same people as Mayday. We may be surprised yet.

Especially if they link stories!
Barefoot Andrew

Well hopefully it will - it's get a superb write-up in the RT. Great opening episode.
A.
Barefoot Andrew

it's get

Embarassed
A.
Gervase

Weird, isn't it? Both from the same production company, yet so very different, despite the broad whodunnit theme.
Broadchurch is ITV, yet gripping - real shades of Nordic noir among the 99s and seagulls, and Olivia Coleman was awesomely good. Tennant is, well, Tennant, but still good, and the only gripe is the rather cliched portrayal of newspaper folk.
Mayday is BBC, yet breathtakingly bad - Midsomer Murders without the belly laughs - featuring characters that yearn for the stiffening virtues of cardboard and writing that makes Casualty look like Ibsen. Whoever commissioned it at a time when the BBC's budget is being savaged should be forced to watch back-to-back reruns of Noel's House Party until they hand over every last penny spent on Mayday.
Just sayin'
henchard

Mayday is BBC, yet breathtakingly bad - Midsomer Murders without the belly laughs - featuring characters that yearn for the stiffening virtues of cardboard and writing that makes Casualty look like Ibsen. Whoever commissioned it at a time when the BBC's budget is being savaged should be forced to watch back-to-back reruns of Noel's House Party until they hand over every last penny spent on Mayday.
Just sayin'

+1

pretty much what I thought.
lettucewoman

Sorry...dont agree at all...I liked Broadchurch but thought it was much more standard fare than mayday..Mayday has a wierd faerie element in it..the whispering trees the child who is talking to no one the stones appearing from the sky...thats what I like about it.Oh, and I didn't think the journalists were wrong...I had a very good freind who started on a local paper then became a stringer for the tabloid nationals...he would have behaved exactly as either of the journalists in the programme, as would most of his colleagues! Gervase

Having spent a quarter of a century on local, regional and national newspapers, including the red-tops, it wasn't anything I recognised, but I bow to your friend's experience.
And I'm afraid the woo woo wrenched from the bastard offspring of the Wicker Man was one of the things that made it laughable for me.
lettucewoman

Having spent a quarter of a century on local, regional and national newspapers, including the red-tops, it wasn't anything I recognised, but I bow to your friend's experience.
And I'm afraid the woo woo wrenched from the bastard offspring of the Wicker Man was one of the things that made it laughable for me.
He is experience

ed...he's spent 40 years (almost) on local regional and national papers, both here and in oz, where he's been editor of several papers!
Ah well each to his own..still enjoying it...oh and Lightfields!
Behemoth

Just sayin'

We were saying last night that some of the characters and acting are variable in their execution, but we still want to know who dunnit. I'm amazed they found so much sunshine to film in.
henchard

Mayday has a wierd faerie element in it..the whispering trees the child who is talking to no one the stones appearing from the sky...thats what I like about it.Oh, and I didn't think the journalists were wrong...

IMHO it was ludicrous (but I did only see 30 minutes - I really couldn't devote any more of my life to this nonsense) - especially casting 20 somethings as 14 year olds. As a whole it felt clichéd with the "there's something strange going on in the woods" (where in suburbia are there woods like that where you can get scarily lost?) storyline complete with mutilated dolls hanging from the trees - oh so scary. The dialogue was awful and creaking - the characters universally taken straight off the 'strange British villagers' shelf for lazy writers - Royston Vasey meets Midsommer without the laughs.
Barefoot Andrew

For those of us who are enjoying it, it's worth watching the first 20 minutes or so of episode 1 again...
A.
sean

Why? Have they gone back and changed it? Barefoot Andrew

Because the chronology of the first 20 minutes is illuminating.
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home