Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Armchair

Solution for a very small fireplace

My house has a very small fireplace and currently has no grate fitted. I've searched around for a grate that will fit but even the smallest ones I have seen are far too large. Does anyone know of a source for unusual/small grates or can you suggest an alternative to a traditional grate (I've got an image of a metal mesh support on bricks)?
sally_in_wales

How big is it, in the shed somewhere I have the grate from a small victorian fireplace, its pretty small- happy to check to see if its a match for you
sally_in_wales

Or- get Blacksmith to make you one maybe?
Armchair

It is about 10" across the front, 6" across the back and around 5" deep. Good idea about the blacksmith. I'll gladly give your grate a new home if it is the right size though! Very Happy
Nanny

sally_in_wales wrote:
Or- get Blacksmith to make you one maybe?

i was just thinking that myself

i am sure he could help
marigold

Have you got the concrete-y bits in place and just need a grate to fit? If so, maybe you could knock out the current fire place and make a space to fit a tiny cast iron stove depending on the size of the chimney breast. If you haven't already done so, get a sweep in to assess the state of the chimney before you decide what to do.

Pyromania in Hove used to have a big selection of reclaimed and new fireplaces. Not cheap though Wink .
woodsprite

Contact a reclamation yard and ask them to measure up some victorian bedroom grates. They are/were very snug and are also quite common.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home