Spiced Braised Beef with Celeriac & Pickled Walnut
- 675g/1½lb lean stewing or braising beef, cut into 5cm/2inch cubes
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp ground coriander
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp ground cumin
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 250ml/9floz full bodied red wine
- 6 pickled walnuts, cut in half
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 sachet bouquet garni
- 500ml/18floz. good, hot beef stock
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp honey
- 175g/6oz baby carrots, scrapped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped chives, to garnish
- Place the beef in a large bowl and add the ground spices and seasoning. Mix well, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the meat in batches and transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish. In the same frying pan cook the onions for 1-2 minutes until golden and add to the dish with the beef.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the carrot and celeriac. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1½-2 hours.
- 25-30 minutes before the end of cooking add the carrots and celeriac and continue to cook until the meat is tender.
- Garnish with chives and serve with plain couscous or rice.
Preparation time: Approximately 20 minutes plus marinating time