Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
KILLITnGRILLIT

spoke too soon

A few weeks ago I was,harshly,judging the small chestnuts we were finding underneath some splendid trees.

Today I picked 5lb in that many minutes in the same place.It`s a bit of overkill as we have used less than a pound in a year in past years,but i shall be experimenting Very Happy

I just have to get their jackets off Confused Laughing
gil

Let us know how you get on, and what you do with them

Only ever roasted chestnuts since the year I skinned some for a nut roast one Xmas, never again, bleeding fingers.
Naomi

Chestnuts are wonderful .I cook them on my woodburner. Roasted 'til blackened , then peeled (watch out they are hot) Sprinkled with salt..Yummy .

You can use them in stuffings and cakes too.
Penny Outskirts

Went into Tescos yesterday on the hunt for some Marron Glace. They looked at me as if I was stupid when I asked if they had any Embarassed
gil

I would use tinned these days Embarassed

There's a great dessert you can make invoving chestnuts, plainn chocolate and cream. Very riich.
doctoral

Penny wrote:
Went into Tescos yesterday on the hunt for some Marron Glace. They looked at me as if I was stupid when I asked if they had any Embarassed

Tesco never seemed quite right to me for Marrons Glace (or anything else) Exclamation
dpack

tread on them helps with the spines
i like them boiled and salted
if they are strait out of hot water cutting down the flat side give a flap to pop them out fairly easily
not many good ones round here ,i suspect the squirels get most
roasted in a tin in the fire is good as well
sean

Chestnut stuffing is a Good Thing.
wildfoodie

have done a few chestnut peeling experiments this year, details on this thread:

http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3088&sid=8700bd2c2625f16052692c9b4fac917f

thanks to Tahir for the tip some time ago on using a dehydrator.
KILLITnGRILLIT

gil wrote:
Let us know how you get on, and what you do with them

Will do m8,I have visions of stuffings and sausages.

WfJ - Thanks for the link.........boiling it is!
Nick

Tinned, or vacuum packed ones are the way to go when they aren't available fresh. They're a million quid a tin here, and pennies in France. It's one of the things I stock up on when I'm over there. I'm going at the end of November, if anyone has a shopping list...
KILLITnGRILLIT

Righty ho,matey peeps........Firstly many thanks to Wildfood Junkie thumbleft split in 2 simmered for 7 mins,6 may be better nexttime,also I am suffering from chestnut peelers thumb so I will score the skin perpendicular to the cut side as well.

I decided to leave sunday lunch until monday due to the festivities(Rugby.....we were robbed by a frenchman!!)and we are having stuffed pork fillet.
1 shallot gently fried in butter 3 tablespoons of chestnuts added 1/2 way through and mash as the chesties soften,add a tbsp of veg stock to create a paste.Allow to cool and while this is happening soak 2 organic apricots in a little apple schnapps.
Add the two together and use as the stuffing MMmmmmmm.
KILLITnGRILLIT

UPDATE - I have tried steaming them and found 7-8mins the dogs wotsits,but just do managable numbers and work quickly.
Most come out nicely formed and not too many falling apart.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home