Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Storing fuels

Does anyone know much about storing fuel? Obviously it needs to be done safely and legally but I would like to know how long various fuels can be stored.

I gather petrol goes 'off' quite quickly because some of the substances that help it ignite evaporate off as it's stored. Is there anything that can be done to increase its shelf life or add to it to bring it back into a usable quality?

I don't know much about diesel but think it should be able to be stored longer and it's safer to store as I've seen places that offer barrels of bio-diesel for you to store and use at home. Is it safer and how long could you store, say 10 gallons?
Jonnyboy

If you have OFCH then your heating oil will be in storage for around 6 months unless you use it at a crazy rate. That remains viable so I reckon diesel would be similar.

I can remember something about petrol evaporating and leaving 'gummy' deposits in car engines if left for a long time. Might be old news now with modern blends.

Is this storage in case of a fuel crisis/strike, or breakdown of society? Laughing
dougal

The lighter fractions evaporate.

So keep it cool, with minimum surface area, and either gas-tight sealed ( Shocked ), or vented through a chilled condenser.

Stock rotation is a good discipline.
Being expensive stuff, (even pre-tax), people tend not to keep stocks on hand unless they are required to by law, or they are taking a 'long position' in the market... (or more likely, they are holding it on behalf of someone who is).
wellington womble

Isn't it illegal to store more than about 10 gallons of petrol or something? Don't know about diesel, and clearly heating oil is allowed!
dougal

wellington womble wrote:
Isn't it illegal to store more than about 10 gallons of petrol or something? Don't know about diesel, and clearly heating oil is allowed!

There are definitely Regulations that apply. Even to a humble 'in case I run out' jerrycan.
And things like house insurance are bound to be affected if you were contravening such Regulations.
guyandzoe

You are not supposed to be able to fill anything but a proper fuel container. You will have the devils own job to get permission to store petrol because it is so very dangerous. Diesel and heating oil is not too bad its relatively hard to set it alight. Under normal conditions diesel will extinguish a match - petrol wont!!

Petrol is said to go off over a period of three months but I continue to use old stuff with no apparent (YET!!) harm to equipment - the chainsaw and strimmer have old mix from one year end to the next and fire up every time.

Try to keep containers full to avoid problems of condensation and water build up.

guy
Treacodactyl

Jonnyboy wrote:
Is this storage in case of a fuel crisis/strike, or breakdown of society? Laughing

Both. Wink Just thinking about things really. At the moment I'm near to quite a few filling stations but even now you can visit a couple and they've sold out of fuel. When I move to somewhere more remote it certainly doesn't make sense to have to drive around for ages to to fill up.

I'm also thinking about having a generator for cover to wind/solar. It seems a bit daft having one for emergencies and then finding the fuel causes problems.

I thought diesel would store for longer than petrol though.
Green Man

I have heard coal looses its burning efficiecy if left too long out of the ground.
Bernie66

Cho-ku-ri wrote:
I have heard coal looses its burning efficiecy if left too long out of the ground.

It won't fit into the tank usually too, unless you crush it up.
Cathryn

Somebody on Pembrokeshire freecycle is offering 3000 gallons of tallow in a 10, 000 gallon tank - is this what you have in mind Shocked
dougal

ruby wrote:
Somebody on Pembrokeshire freecycle is offering 3000 gallons of tallow in a 10, 000 gallon tank - is this what you have in mind Shocked

I'm afraid I can foresee that somewhere there'll be a reprise of Sally's "He's going to kill me when he gets home and finds all this lot that I've somehow acquired" thread...
But bigtime.
Cathryn

Laughing Laughing They did offer a crane to get it on a low loader - go on T we dare you Laughing
Blue Sky

Bernie66 wrote:
Cho-ku-ri wrote:

It won't fit into the tank usually too, unless you crush it up.

Laughing Trust you!

I keep a full (25 litre) Jerry can of petrol on hand. We don't have a petrol vehicle at the moment but when we did I never had a problem with it starting on "old fuel". Currently just use it for mixing the 2 stroke up for strimmer/rotovator/generator and doesn't seem to be a problem, even with year old stuff. I don't see that much can evaporate from a full jerry can as they are so flippin' airtight. No doubt Dougal we correct/enlighten me Cool
MarkS

It does deteriourate, but how long it takes before that causes problems running will depend on the engine and fuel system.

I would expect generators, lawnmowers etc to be a lot less fussy than a modern fuel injected car engine. Partly because they have less stringent tuning requirements and partly because they tend to run qat constantish speed and you dont worry so much about a bit of pinking or poor pick up.
Jonnyboy

Re: Storing fuels

Treacodactyl wrote:
I gather petrol goes 'off' quite quickly because some of the substances that help it ignite evaporate off as it's stored. Is there anything that can be done to increase its shelf life or add to it to bring it back into a usable quality?

You could buy some octane booster?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b42s26p2403&tbv=MILLERS_CVL_Turbo_-_Octane_Booster_
James

Hi treacodactyl,

your local environment agency has a bunch of people called environment officers whose job it is to tell you all about how to store oil.
If you explain you are a private individual who just wants to do it correctly, they'll be happy to give you advice for free
(after all, its your taxes that keep 'em in a job).
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home