Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Stacey

Suitable tank for collecting grey (bath) water

What sort of tank could we use for collecting bathwater to use on the veg patch? We're into the minuses money wise so preferably something we could 'womble'.

Any ideas?
toggle

My solution may not work for you, however, i have got old loft water tanks from houses that are getting loft conversions. if you know someone who knows someone who works for a firm that does these, perhaps they could call you if they rip out any water tanks.

otherwise, build yourself a pond with palates and a pond liner.
vegplot

The orange juice containers (1,200 litres I recall) are very good. However, I think becuase they are so popular that they now command a bit of a price. If you wanted to burry it then you'd have to dig deep as they are taller than they are wide.

Ah, found this http://thetankexchange.com/raintanks.htm
Chez

Not free but cheap - there are a few people flogging old orange juice containers etc. on ebay - I got a 40 gallon one for 7.50. And there are some without lids for 2.99. But it depends whether they're close to you or not.
Stacey

Thanks Cool
James

I'm not sure you should use such a large container for grey water. It needs to be used now, not kept. So keep it small. It should be only large enough to water the garden in one go.
I use an old kitchen flip-top bin (minus the lid) free from a skip. This contains one shower's worth of water, which is 3 large watering can's full. Two showers a day gives 6 x 3-gallon watering cans. Thats plenty of water and yet the but is tiny and slots into a little corner were no-one sees it.
Behemoth

Ideally you want some sort of tank with an overflow that is constantly replenished. Your grey water production is probably quite steady so a day's storage, as James says, is about right.
Chez

A friend of mine bred some quite spectacular smelling swimmy things in hers when she started storing it in large quantities. You filter it through straw, don't you? And change the straw every few weeks.
vegplot

I was thinking of rainwater harvesting rather than grey water. Yes, a small tank is better, more manageable and easier to clean. There are various methods of removing suds and other scum.

This site show a wheelie bin being used. http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-Recycler-Grey-Water/
Stacey

We have a very large veg plot though and there's the polytunnel - much more than 2 watering cans worth a day.
vegplot

Stacey wrote:
We have a very large veg plot though and there's the polytunnel - much more than 2 watering cans worth a day.

Sounds like you need rain water harvesting as well as grey water. Smile
Stacey

We've got butts on all suitable downpipes but once it stops raining it's not much good Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home