Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Vanessa

Taking EV's advice ...

... please can the good folks on here help me come up with a logo for my "other business"?

Eve's Creations ... I've got a serious lead for selling fleecy ponchos, so need to act quite fast. I need a logo that will work equally well in embroidery (machine) as print, so it does need to be relatively simple.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

I'm tempted to make this a DS competition, with a reversible fleece made by Eve's Creations as the prize!!!
earthyvirgo

When you say 'poncho' what exactly do you mean.

Sorry, I know that probably won't have anything to do with the logo but I've got a picture of a mexican poncho in my head Smile

EV
Vanessa

Like a cape without any opening except the head-hole. However, I'm going to be making greetings cards under this name, too ... so don't want something specific to ponchos.
Vanessa

I've tried writing across a figleaf outline (couldn't get a clean enough outline, but didn't like it anyway) and writing in a cloud-shaped think-bubble, but that didn't really work too well either.

My trouble is, whilst I'm quite artistIC, I'm no artist and can't draw for toffee.
earthyvirgo

I've tried writing across a figleaf outline (couldn't get a clean enough outline, but didn't like it anyway) and writing in a cloud-shaped think-bubble, but that didn't really work too well either.

My trouble is, whilst I'm quite artistIC, I'm no artist and can't draw for toffee.

I think I'd be looking online ...maybe for a William Morris style leaf, then trying to replicate it for a fig leaf. I'd keep the name separate from the leaf (if you use a leaf) and probably use a solid shape, or at least a solid colour with a strong outline.

EV
Vanessa

Solid colour definitely; that'd work very well for embroidery. Either that, or a stout outline.
earthyvirgo

I know this is an acanthus leaf but this is the sort of thing I could imagine. Just one, gorgeous, swirly leaf Smile

EV
Vanessa

I'm currently trying to "clean one up" a bit in Paint. Not brilliantly clear images, as they're so multi-tonal ... will attach an image of what I've done so far ...

Vanessa

Now I need to get rid of the veins etc!
Vanessa

alice

Are you wedded to the fig leaf? It says 'underwear' to me Confused
Vanessa

or this ...

Vanessa

No, far from it, Alice. I'm VERY open to ideas!
Wink
marigold

or this ...

That's quite similar to the figleaves.com logo - it's a strong brand and says knickers to me!

Sewing machine foot? Sewing the words "Eve's Creations"? Too twee?
Vanessa

It's not JUST sewing, though, Marigold ... Confused welsh veg grower

I would be considerign the products you are planning to sell and the audience. By audience I mean age, gender etc if you ahve in your mind the ideal customer then you can start to consider what they would be attratced to. Not keen on the fig leaf kind of means basic and natural to me so can see how underwear comes through.

Did you have a name yet as I would do the name before the logo - or did I miss that bit
Vanessa

The name is "Eve's Creations".

The "audience" will vary ... mostly children for the ponchos, mostly adults buying the cards and other bits-and-bobs I hope to introduce along the way.
alice

Well I was thinking of something that reflects the fact that a human bean is actually making these clothes, something that reflects the mechanics of the designing/cutting/sewing. Shears or a pincushion or a needle with a swirly tail of thread. Or something. Or am I being too naive? After all, I don't get out much Laughing Vanessa

Nothing wrong with naive ... it can produce some of the best logo ideas!

I quite like the idea of a needle and thread "stitching" the name plus a swirl around it ... off to play again! Thank you
alice

The "audience" will vary ... mostly children for the ponchos, mostly adults buying the cards and other bits-and-bobs I hope to introduce along the way.

Ooh, I think that's asking a lot, one brand that covers clothes and cards.
welsh veg grower

ok the fig leaf makes more sense and possible if it isnt a fig leaf but another leaf it would be a bit odd a non adm and eve type logo may be better as sometimes religious logos can make people think its well religious.

- is this your site then http://www.evescreations.co.uk/
alice

Or, maybe something that's not necessarily absolutely relevant to either then - a bee, a tree, a pear (because an apple's been done Laughing) a mouse, a crown, a feather!( ooh, I like that one), or just a decorative border around the name so it looks like a stamp or label - I'm on fire now Laughing Vanessa

Yes ... nowt in it yet, though! Laughing

OK, had a quick play in Inkscape ...

Click to download file
Vanessa

Will try that again, it doesn't like svg! Vanessa

After much faffing ...

welsh veg grower

Yes ... nowt in it yet, though! Laughing

thast ok as long as its you and not someone called the same thing.
Vanessa

No, it's me!! Laughing There's another one that's .com, but nothing like my business.

I'm expecting to get most of my work by face-to-face contact and word of mouth, but want a website as well because most people expect it these days.
welsh veg grower

After much faffing ...

I'm no expert so these are just my personal ideas but the font could do with maybe being a bit more modern, on trend, I would go for sharp and clear rather than flowery. Also the angle of the needle means thats a very long off balance logo can you show the needle going back along the top as if you threaded it back through the material maybe. Only my view so see what others think
Vanessa

All valid points ... 'twas only an initial "play" with your idea ... will go back and re-work and re-post ... Vanessa

Still not sure of the font, but it's clearer ...

welsh veg grower

Still not sure of the font, but it's clearer ...

getting there, a lot clearer and the shape seems better to me. I agree the font is maybe a bit harsh now. Cor its difficult isnt it
vegplot

I don't find the stitching idea very inspiring. It would be fine for a jobbing trade but as an artisan I think you be better of with something which hints at your creativity. Vanessa

I'm playing with apples at the moment ... but it's not easy!! Laughing lettucewoman

this is rubbish(just messing about before bed) but the idea nearly works...

Smile
Vanessa

Not rubbish at all. Now I wish I didn't have an impossibly busy day ahead so I could carry on playing! ... Spruengli

Smile

Love the snake's expression!! Laughing
Katieowl

If it's to be machine stiched....I'd be looking at something quick and easy to knock out. Do I remember correctly that you have a programmable machine? If so does it have any designs with it you could use with no further work, and maybe just add your intitials.

Kate
BadgerFace

Keeping with the apple idea, how about something like one of these 1920's Pomona type ornaments. With a bit of PS jiggery-pokery, they could be simplified further.

Vanessa

If it's to be machine stiched....I'd be looking at something quick and easy to knock out. Do I remember correctly that you have a programmable machine? If so does it have any designs with it you could use with no further work, and maybe just add your intitials.

Kate

That'll be something to look at later. I haven't time today, but it's a brilliant suggestion! Thanks Kate! Very Happy
Vanessa

An unexpected few minutes! No decent apple already in the machine's library. However, TG kindly drew one yesterday that I've traced round in Inkscape and played with.

Simplicity has to be key with an embroidered logo ... well, it does with my machine, anyway. I can't do very complicated things as it loses definition.

However, here's one "play" ... I know it doesn't directly "say" anything about what I do, but as Eve's Creations is about a variety of different things, I don't honestly think any logo could encompass that without getting overly complex.

lettucewoman

Doesn't have to...Leaping Deer doesn't say we are theatrical based business trainers but people remember the name!

Where would the logo be on the ponchos?

ps apple needs to be bigger or words smaller IMHO
lettucewoman

ooh ooh ooh ...
Vanessa

That's true, Meg. Yeah, the words need to be "finer". I need to play with it more.

The apple-and-fig is lovely, but too detailed to "translate" into embroidery; it'll come up as a squillion colours and it's not easy at all to simplify the colours. It really does need a VERY clean-edged JPEG file to work best.
alice

have you googled 'colouring book apple' in google images? Vanessa

No, that's not a daft idea!! Wink lettucewoman

thats where the first apple I posted came from...colouring book apple!! lettucewoman

um...the apple and fig is embroidery I think.... Vanessa

It's only showing as a JPEG ... although it does LOOK like embroidery ... Sally Too

Smile

I love this!

Wholesome (apple) with a cheeky side (serpent). Also an up to the minute design style and would work well in either one or more colours.
alison

The apple doesn't say "Eve" to me without the serpant. If it is just an apple it is a rip off of "Apple Mac" Nick

It's only showing as a JPEG ... although it does LOOK like embroidery ...

Does embroidery have its own file type?
Vanessa

OK. So, scrub the lettering for the logo (I can put that underneath, around etc. for printed versions) ... what I need is the apple with a serpent. In a fairly simple line-format so it'll translate well to my embroidery machine software.

Getting there! Thank you! Very Happy
Vanessa

Various file types, Nick, that can be read direct by the machine. My sewing machine uses .fhe, but can also "read" most other embroidery machine files. They're saved as the pattern of stitches, so the machine knows exactly where to stitch. Nick

Various file types, Nick, that can be read direct by the machine. My sewing machine uses .fhe, but can also "read" most other embroidery machine files. They're saved as the pattern of stitches, so the machine knows exactly where to stitch.

Cool.
alison

As an aside, could you do labels, like, "Home made by Alison", for example. Vanessa

Probably. I'm about to experiment with small labels for TG ... will report back and let you know. Lettering from an image is difficult, lettering "done by the machine software" (so very limited choice of fonts) generally works fine, but I've not yet worked out how small I can go! Laughing

Hoping to have a bit of time for playing with that today ... after going shopping (urgle) for the bulk things that we're running out of all at the same time!
Vanessa

Currently toying with the apple with a linked "EC" drawn like a snake. Hubby says he'll have a go at drawing it for me Cool vegplot

Consider a logo without any wording. You can incorporate the business name more flexibly if it isn't part of the logo design.

Apple Inc. do this very successfully

Alternatively, make the business name a logo e.g. Microsoft and Coca-Cola for example.

My best piece of advice though is to not DIY your brand if branding and design aren't your primary skills.
Vanessa

I hear what you're saying, VP ... but ...

I could do this in any colour combo (not so much for paperwork, that would have to be one colour-way only, of course, for cost reasons) ... but for reversible ponchos, the 2 colours could match those of the fleece used, and be "mirror images" of each other (so dark outline and snake on pale fabric, light outline and snake on dark fabric). It will print well, and will also emboss well.

This is MUCH larger than the finished article will be, of course ... it will be approx 3cm across when finished.
marigold

Probably just me, but I keep thinking that Eve, an apple and the serpent created the fall of mankind... Which doesn't strike me as a good image for a business! Wink

What about making the word "eve" (all lower or upper case - I'd favour lower-case joined-up letters) your logo image? Then you can add the words "Eve's Creations" underneath in a smaller font or just use the logo on it's own as a maker's mark.
Vanessa

Just the word ... no for 2 reasons. Firstly, Eve's Creations is all about being creative. Just a word doesn't convey that at all IMO. Secondly, a quick google search of "eve logo" will show that it's been done several times already, and therefore standing out from the crowd will be a bit more difficult.

Spookily, my logo idea posted on here the other day, of the green apple with the words circling it, comes up in that google search!!! Shocked
earthyvirgo

Probably just me, but I keep thinking that Eve, an apple and the serpent created the fall of mankind... Which doesn't strike me as a good image for a business! Wink

What about making the word "eve" (all lower or upper case - I'd favour lower-case joined-up letters) your logo image? Then you can add the words "Eve's Creations" underneath in a smaller font or just use the logo on it's own as a maker's mark.

Not just you Marigold.

I like the apple/serpent image but I'm not 100% convinced it gives the right message.

Don't like being a damp squib on your idea but I do want to be honest Vanessa.

EV
marigold

Fair enough re "just the word", but how does an apple and a snake convey creativity? Other than the kind I mentioned before?! Very Happy

What about image of a hand holding a needle, paint brush or pen? Or a "hand" made up of six creative tools (4 fingers, 1 thumb, 1 palm)? Apple pip (or other tree seed) with root and leaves emerging? Apple blossom flower? Isn't it hard to think of something that hasn't been done before?
Vanessa

I appreciate the honesty. lettucewoman

oh dont be daft...it certainly does not say anything about the fall of man!!! Its a very good,clear logo...with a cheeky side.

Honestly! Confused
Vanessa

Thank you Meg. That's what it does for me ... I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it! Wink

Eve's Creations as a name *could* be seen as being linked with the Bible ... but it isn't, and a quick look at what I do (once the site is launched etc) will show that.

Most people will be buying my stuff from face-to-face sales / introductions or from word-of-mouth. In many ways, I don't *need* a logo, but it will help with recognition of my products. It will also help identify my website as "me", too.
marigold

oh dont be daft...it certainly does not say anything about the fall of man!!! Its a very good,clear logo...with a cheeky side.

Honestly! Confused

I don't particularly like being called daft because I happen to see something differently to the majority.
Vanessa

Oh please! I don't want anyone falling out over something so trivial as my flaming logo!

I'm not launching a world-class business, I'm launching a cottage industry, and it isn't worth anyone getting upset over.

I honestly wish I hadn't started this thread now! Sad
earthyvirgo

Ladies, ladies, don't get so serious, please.

If you're daft, then so am I Marigold Wink

And Vanessa, slapped wrist for you too for daring to say your logo is trivial. However small your business, your logo is far from trivial Smile

EV
Vanessa

Hugs all round! alison

If you don't want the Eve part to be associated with adam and eve then don't have the apple and serpent, because that is certainly what it portrays.

I think having just an apple is a rip off of the apple mac and can't be done, regardless of what your apple looks like.
Vanessa

There are dozens of apple logos that are not apple-mac. Wink The closest to Mac's logo is Ann Summers ... whichever one came first, I'm really surprised there hasn't been a huge high-profile battle over rights! Laughing marigold

Sorry Vanessa, I guess I'm a bit touchy this evening - being told I'm stupid/daft/whatever for expressing an opinion pushes my buttons. I'm sure your business will be a success - it's the products that matter, not the logo Smile . lettucewoman

Sorry Vanessa, I guess I'm a bit touchy this evening - being told I'm stupid/daft/whatever for expressing an opinion pushes my buttons. I'm sure your business will be a success - it's the products that matter, not the logo Smile .

I didn't say, or mean, stupid...I apologise, it was meant to be a throwaway remark, cos IMHO some people seemed to be reading too much into it...plus we had apples and serpents on this thread yesterday and no one objected!

And as for being a rip off...nope, can't see it... solid silver apple with bite out of it representing an IT company...coloured apple with a cheeky snake wound round it representing a craft business.... Question Question Question

I'm sorry Vanessa for causing a bit of a tif on your thread...but you know that was not my intention
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home