Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Behemoth

The fridge is dead long live which fridge?

Our Fridge compressor has pegged it. Any recommendations on an efficient fridge/freezer that meets a downsizers requirements, namely a capcious salad/veg bit, somewhere for a leg of lamb and various jars of funny stuff and booze. Ice makers and chilled water dispensers are not required.

Ta.
marigold

No suggestions, but I'm on a similar quest... Looking for an efficient frost-free under-counter freezer.
Behemoth

Any suggestion to use a dead fridge/freezer for rather than dump it?
Behemoth

Anybody know a manufacaturer that makes an undercounter fridge with drawers?
marigold

Behemoth wrote:
Anybody know a manufacaturer that makes an undercounter fridge with drawers?

Why would you want drawers in a fridge Confused . Other than the salad whatsits at the bottom, that is...
Behemoth

They make seeing, sorting and accessing stuff dead easy and you don't have to squat on the floor to get to the back of the shelves os to see what's on the top shelf. The cold stays in the draw instead of falling on the floor when you open the door. There were some in a place we stayed in the US and they were great. Only ones I can find in the UK are ridulously expensive. e.g. AGA.
marigold

Sounds like a good idea. I suppose the cost reflects the fact that there's not a huge market for them here (yet).
tahir

All of those drawer types are v expensive.
Behemoth

Hmmm, we seem to mange to do it for freezers. A few posh runners to give a bit more support can't be that difficult.....mutter, grumble.
shopgirlsue

A friend of mine has one that has pull out shelves - it's a Bosch KTR18P20GB - don't know how much it was, but might be the kinda thing you're looking for

Ooops just realised you want a fridge/freezer not a just a fridge sorry Embarassed
lottie

Behemoth wrote:
Any suggestion to use a dead fridge/freezer for rather than dump it?

Sure I've a vague recollection of Bob Flowerdew half burying one and using it as a potato/veg clamp or something similar----but it was years ago when people were doing silly things Very Happy
Behemoth

shopgirlsue wrote:
A friend of mine has one that has pull out shelves - it's a Bosch KTR18P20GB - don't know how much it was, but might be the kinda thing you're looking for

Ooops just realised you want a fridge/freezer not a just a fridge sorry Embarassed

Thanks - I might want it I don't know - it's complicated by the fact we're moving soon and the new place gives us more options as there's a utility room just off the kitchen. I'm leaning towards a bigger larder fridge and fridge freezer in the utility. But heck I may change my mind because that's the sort of crazy guy I am!.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home