Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Rob R

The Men Who Made Us Fat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jxzv8

Fantastic bit of telly - we just watched episode two (not seen ep 1 yet), portion sizes, & so much truth, such as 'you don't gorge on fresh meat'.
marigold

I watched part 2 yesterday and found it very interesting. I have slightly more sympathy for people who make bad choices through ignorance now. I already knew the marketing industry was pernicious and scary, but had forgotten just how grim it is. The fact that advertising was deliberately used to break the no snacking between meals and no eating in the street taboos that i was brought up with explains a lot.

Still, in the end it does come down to personal choices about what we eat. Maintaining a healthy weight doesn't happen by magic, nor does becoming obese.

My weight has been creeping up lately because I've been eating too many "treats" (cheese, nuts and fruit mostly). Having hit my "upper acceptable limit" recently, I've changed my habits (no hard cheese at all, less nuts and fruit) and I'm on my way to my preferred weight again. The difference is only 7lb, but it's a lot easier to deal with that 7lb, than it would be to deal with 7st if I ignored the warning sign.
sgt.colon

It's been a very interesting program. Amazing how just one man can change so much.
AnnaD

We're really enjoying it too, it's very interesting.
Rob R

I find it interesting from the angle of sugar. Being diabetic I am automatically concious of how much sugar I eat but many people don't need to think about it, so they don't.

I was a bit confused by the internal fat CT scan at the beginning - it wasn't explained what significance that had & was seemingly left behind throughout the rest of the programme, which was filled with externally fat people.
sean

I haven't seen it yet. Might try to catch it on i-player.
We were talking about portion sizes at work the other day though. Taffs opened in 1958. Up to the early 70s they cut 80 to 90 portions of fish from a 14lb block. Now they cut 30 from a 15lb block.
It'd be interesting to see how many people would accept a 2.5oz portion of fish with their chips.
12Bore

If it was 1/3 the price of a full portion, I suspect quite a few would buy it who otherwise might not buy fish.
sean

That's the point though, they were full portions back then...
12Bore

Oh I agree. But for years my mother has asked for children's sized portions on restaurants simply because she cannot eat a full sized portion, even I find full portions of F&C too much, whenever we go to the chippy we get 2 fish and one portion of chips. The full size has to stay, but it could be interesting to offer the 1/3 sized portion at, say, 40% of the full size price.
ETA I didn't even know that the fish came in blocks.. Very Happy
Pilsbury

I use 70 gram portions of fish here at work because when I started battering and Frying 140 gram fillets all the oldest complain they are to big and can't enjoy them. By the time the portions get a battering and fluff up in the fryers they are a respectable size on the plate but people would certiany object from a chippy.
Oh and the fish portions cost me 27p and a bit of batter and are a fraction smaller than a pack of playing cards....
sean

Does if it's partially cut and frozen at sea. Smile
12Bore

Does if it's partially cut and frozen at sea. Smile
Ahh, of course (facepalm). Laughing
Jamanda

I'd happily have smaller appetite portions in a number of situations. Sally Too

Watched both the first two episodes on iplayer with eldest daughter this afternoon. Fascinating stuff. We made ourselves a nice salad with lime juice and yoghurt dressing and felt very smug! Rolling Eyes

Another vid along the same lines is this one by Robert Lustig: Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Well worth a watch. Fructose is processed as a toxin along similar metabolic pathways to alcohol.
sgt.colon

Another vid along the same lines is this one by Robert Lustig: Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Wasn't that the guy in one of the episodes who'd research they'd all ignored and swept under the carpet?
Rob R

Just watched the first episode - it's certainly a good advert for me, a worrying situation though. Sally Too

He was interviewed in both programmes I watched... Reminds me of George Bush the way he speaks! sgt.colon

He was interviewed in both programmes I watched... Reminds me of George Bush the way he speaks!

Oh I don't know. I thought Robert made a lot of sense. Very Happy
Sally Too

Oh Yes he made loads of sense.... Laughing Laughing Laughing ..... I meant more in his speech patterns and mannerisms!

Watch his video - fascinating bit about the biochemistry of how fructose is processed by the body near the end...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home