Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
sean

Top ten seaside foods...

Cab's latest article can be found here
Questions, contrary opinions and helpful advice here please.
dpack

very nice
may i second that filter feeders such as mussells are not safe in unclean water so double check .
no toasted butter fish recipes Question Laughing
limpets are reliable but a bit chewy
cab

dpack wrote:

limpets are reliable but a bit chewy

Poached lightly then fried off with garlic, they're still chewy but really tasty Smile
Bernie66

Inspiring even to me, and i am not a big fan of shellfish at all!!
ros

mmmmmm samphire
(why isn't there a lip licking smilie?)
thanks for the reminder, on my to do list for this week was to phone mum and see if she'd seen any yet and to plan a day's picking with her.

Also the other question(s) on my list for the week.....
to ask if anyone had tried HFW's salt trick to collect razor clams, and if so are they any good and will they be OK to collect in eary September?
cab

ros wrote:

to ask if anyone had tried HFW's salt trick to collect razor clams, and if so are they any good and will they be OK to collect in eary September?

Works, but its an arse getting them out even then.

General rule of thumb is that they're good any month with an R in it, so September will do. I'd go for later in September if you can, give 'em every chance to breed and be back to their best.

Are they good... Well, yeah, but only if you like razor clams Smile Tasty, but more hassle than I'd normally go to.
ian1

mmmm
blackberry wine's better than i thought !
you'll not be wanting to hear about the chips i had on aldeburgh beach Embarassed
wildfoodie

my first foraged haul of samphire this weekend.... yay!
I've been paying the fishmonger thru the nose for it... but so worth it - one of my top 10 all time anywhere wild foods.
wildfoodie

oh and limpets can also be eaten raw like oysters, once you remove the leathery foot and feedit to resident rock pool crabs and fishes. I got a few looks on my rock pool wanderings last year, armed with a bottle of chilli sauce and a couple of lemons!
wildfoodie

Quote:
you'll not be wanting to hear about the chips i had on aldeburgh beach

Why, were they foraged from the ground???
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home