Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
sally_in_wales

Transcription work?

In my wanderings about the internet I occasionally see people talking about doing odd jobs transcribing audio files into typed text. Has anyone here ever done any of that sort of work? I was just thinking its remotely possible its the sort of rainy-day-indoors job that might be useful to a downsizer if its possible to pick up legitimate odds and ends of it. And yes, I'm aware that most of the mentions I will have wandered past in the search engines will be scams or less than ideal opportunities, its the general idea I'm thinking of, not a specific example.
Penny Outskirts

My sister did this a while ago as a favour for a friend. She can type at about 40 wpm, but even then, it was long hard work, for not very much money.

Although if you had plenty of time, and didn;t mind how long it took you, I would think it could be quite a relaxing thing to do.
hedgewitch

I don't know anything about doing it as paid work, but I've done it a a volunteer. I transcribed some oral history interviews for a local history project once. It took a lot of concentration but was interesting listening to the interviewees talk about their lives, which probably made it less tedious then some paid-for jobs.
Penny Outskirts

Here's another "at home" job, that might appeal to Downsizers with the relevant qualifications. Saw an advert on a bus this evening Very Happy
Bernie66

Penny wrote:
Here's another "at home" job, that might appeal to Downsizers with the relevant qualifications. Saw an advert on a bus this evening Very Happy

Eh?
Penny Outskirts

Penny wrote:

Helps if you add the link doesn't it Embarassed

http://www.examinerrecruitment.org/default.aspx
Bernie66

Penny wrote:
Penny wrote:

Helps if you add the link doesn't it Embarassed

http://www.examinerrecruitment.org/default.aspx

Laughing Laughing
alison

I guess if you live near a campus there may be dissitation typing still going, or do students all do it themselves now on their laptops?
MrsWW

I've done audio transcription work from home - gave it up about a year ago due to full time work pressure. Paid 10 per hour and was transcribing undercover surveillance tapes. Hard work but interesting.
sally_in_wales

MrsWW wrote:
I've done audio transcription work from home - gave it up about a year ago due to full time work pressure. Paid 10 per hour and was transcribing undercover surveillance tapes. Hard work but interesting.

That doesnt sound too bad if it could be done as and when. Hmm, another one to store under 'might be worth exploring sometime'
wellington womble

Sally, what are you avoiding now? You only come up with these things when there's something else you should be doing? I've no idea how on earth you fit in all the things you do do aready, let alone add typing! Wink Laughing
sally_in_wales

True true, more a case of being scarily broke at the moment and fretting about how we'll manage if I ever do give up full time work to try and go self employed Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home