Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Mary-Jane

Truffles...HOW MUCH???

Saw this in today's G2 (Guardian) and thought it might be of interest... http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/story/0,,1970898,00.html

£85,000 for a single white Italian truffle...sorry, but I find that utterly obscene.
Behemoth

I know, so cheap, I remember when they were something special. Confused
cab

Re: Truffles...HOW MUCH???

Yes, they are that expensive.

I bought a single black truffle on Cambridge market yesterday, pauid three and a bit quid for it. With that and some dried boletus, St. Georges shroom and the prince I made a rather special mushroom/pasta/cream dish (for three), with just a wee bit of home cured salami for saltiness, a single chilli, pepper and chopped parsley. Heavenly, really was.

The white truffle is amazingly expensive, at least the Piedmont white truffle is. There are other white truffle species that are less highly prized so slightly less expensive, (look up a man called Daniel Wheeler in Oregon) but whether any of them are 'worth' those astronomical sums I really doubt.

The smell of a white truffle is indescribable, but for flavour I favour black truffles.
hedgewitch

I'm sure Tesco are working on a Value truffle as we speak Rolling Eyes
Gervase

I cheat and use truffle oil - lots cheaper!
Mind you, grated white truffle on home-made tagliatelli is something else. Cool
hedgewitch

Gervase wrote:
I cheat and use truffle oil - lots cheaper!
Mind you, grated white truffle on home-made tagliatelli is something else. Cool


Does truffle oil use the genuine thing? Could you recommend a brand? I've dithered over this for a while as I have to use a supermarket for this kind of thing since my local deli became a kebab shop and I don't trust supermarkets in general. But I have a real yearning to try truffle oil....
jema

I'd love to try truffle, but I'm pretty wary of being taken for a ride.

Someone bought us back some phony saffron from Spain once!
Gervase

I can't recall a particular brand (as we've run out), but all the ones I've tried have been pretty pungent and made form real truffles - a little goes a long way.
That Italian chef geezer you mentioned is a great fan of grated truffle, y'know! He gets through about a pound of the stuff a week Shocked
hedgewitch

Gervase wrote:
I can't recall a particular brand (as we've run out), but all the ones I've tried have been pretty pungent and made form real truffles - a little goes a long way.
That Italian chef geezer you mentioned is a great fan of grated truffle, y'know! He gets through about a pound of the stuff a week Shocked


<sigh>
Mary-Jane

Gervase wrote:
That Italian chef geezer you mentioned is a great fan of grated truffle, y'know! He gets through about a pound of the stuff a week Shocked


I think Hedgewitch's ideal Christmas Pressie would be for the Italian chef geezer to be delivered to her door, holding some truffles in his hands and saying "Let me cook these for you darling..."

'Bout right HW? Wink
cab

jema wrote:
I'd love to try truffle, but I'm pretty wary of being taken for a ride.

Someone bought us back some phony saffron from Spain once!


If next time there are some on Cambridge market there is one thats worth having, I'll post it to you.
hedgewitch

Mary-Jane wrote:
Gervase wrote:
That Italian chef geezer you mentioned is a great fan of grated truffle, y'know! He gets through about a pound of the stuff a week Shocked


I think Hedgewitch's ideal Christmas Pressie would be for the Italian chef geezer to be delivered to her door, holding some truffles in his hands and saying "Let me cook these for you darling..."

'Bout right HW? Wink


Amazing how you get to know people so well online, isn't it Embarassed Wink
jema

cab wrote:
jema wrote:
I'd love to try truffle, but I'm pretty wary of being taken for a ride.

Someone bought us back some phony saffron from Spain once!


If next time there are some on Cambridge market there is one thats worth having, I'll post it to you.


Smile thanks, we will have to get some wine or something to you, seems to be getting a bit too much one way traffic there.
Bernie66

hedgewitch wrote:
I'm sure Tesco are working on a Value truffle as we speak Rolling Eyes


puke_l puke_r puke_l
Jonnyboy

Sainsbury sell black truffles, have no idea if they stink or not.



(geddit)
Bernie66

Nope Embarassed
Truffle

For any one seriously interested in truffles, I thought I would add some details on types of truffles, best forms to buy them in etc. I hope this is useful!!:

1) White truffle (Tuber magnatum) is roughly twice the price of the black winter truffles and has a hint of alliums, several chefs I have spoke to also describe the scent as reminiscent of a gas leak- hard to describe but you’ll know what I talking about when you taste them! There is a much cheaper white truffle that has a similar taste but not as strong and this is called the borchii truffle (Tuber borchii). It’s pretty much impossible to get these truffles in the UK unless you buy in Kilos and deal with importers- for example, we can import for restaurants, wholesalers, individuals etc but we only normally import in kilos.

2) Black winter truffle (Tuber melanosporum). This is the second most expensive truffle (after the white truffle) and it is possible to buy this species in the UK. Make sure you buy from a reputable supplier as there’s a huge problem of Chinese truffles flavoured with the black truffle scent being passed off as the winter truffle (to the untrained eye they look identical!). Fresh truffles are really only good for around 10 days. We have people ‘on the ground’ in Europe who purchase the truffles and then we have them independently certified as the correct species (by microscopic methods). In terms of substitutes for fresh truffles:
a. Oil- Truffle oil can be really very good. However, the majority of truffle oil on the market is flavoured synthetically. The chemical they use is a good likeness and a good introduction to truffles but is certainly different from the real thing- even our truffle-dogs turn their noses-up at the synthetic oil!!
b. Jarred truffles- these are pretty poor, they normally use poor quality truffles, they have normally undergone significant heating, have been sterilised and boiled. The water is then sold as truffle flavoured water and the remaining ‘truffle’ (if you can call it that) will by slimy, look nothing like a truffle inside and have a poor flavour.
c. If you cant get real fresh truffles, its best to stick to the oil!

One final thing I wanted to mention was in regards to the huge sums paid for very large truffles. These amazingly expensive auction truffles are normally bought by consortiums and are an excellent way of getting attention (advertising)- so purchasing these truffles can be a canny advertising tool. However, they are also bought for the prestige/status symbol. A lot of money for something that only remains good for around 10 days!

Right now were fully in ‘truffle season’, enjoy Very Happy

Truffle

Grow truffles- www.PlantationSystems.com – Buy truffle trees
boisdevie1

Quote from Truffle
Quote:
However, they are also bought for the prestige/status symbol


Bit like some sad Juan Kerr buying a private numberplate for their car then?

I do wonder if the people prepared to pay such money for things like that aren't ill in some way. Loony is the word that springs to mind. Barking.
doctoral

boisdevie1 wrote:
Quote from Truffle
Quote:
However, they are also bought for the prestige/status symbol


Bit like some sad Juan Kerr buying a private numberplate for their car then?

I do wonder if the people prepared to pay such money for things like that aren't ill in some way. Loony is the word that springs to mind. Barking.


Agree - get a pig or a dog (cheaper than a truffle) and consider yourself lucky if you get a wild one snorting
Jonnyboy

What about black summer truffles then?
Tinks

I wonder why something thats smells like a gas leak and looks like a piece of dried poo is so desirable?

I have tasted truffle in a cheese, but couldn't for the life of you say whether the truffle or the cheese was the main taste I got.

I can't afford to eat a truffle so I guess I'll die in ignorance Sad
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:
What about black summer truffles then?


Summer truffles are tasty, but in my opinion they really do have to be very fresh or they don't compare with black truffless.
Truffle

Summer truffles have a taste very similar to the black winter truffle, just milder! The black truffle is more of a ‘fungaly’ taste than the white truffle. I prefer black truffles (as opposed to the white) and I think they taste very earthy, rich and warm- delicious. But all truffles need to be eaten fresh or you’ll be disappointed….

I think most people can afford to try truffles as long as you can find a good outlet that will supply in small quantities, the market cab mentioned sounds good. I guess most people can afford £3 for a taste.

When you get a good truffle you’ll know about it, your whole house will smell truffly and most things in the fridge may take on a truffle scent (but truffle orange juice = yuck puke_l ). One truffle can flavour eggs in a basket, a bowl of rice and still be used shaved on food… so you get a lot of mileage…. Truffles scrambled eggs are yum happy3


Truffle

Grow truffles- www.PlantationSystems.com – buy trees
cab

Truffle wrote:
...the market cab mentioned sounds good. I guess most people can afford £3 for a taste.


Stopped off there this morning, and I think its the same batch of truffles as at the start of the week. Wasn't one in the box I'd be happy to buy now. Still, fingers crossed there'll be more fresh ones there next week then I can post one to Jema and have one for my own Christmas morning breakfast (with scrambled eggs, which as you rightly point out is fab).

Have you tried freezing them? Any good?
Truffle

Yeah- we’ve frozen quite a lot. We have quite a few kilos pass through over the season and I do freeze the odd batch. I’m convinced this really changes the flavour, they develop a sweet taste and, I’m not sure how many people would agree with me on this, I think they develop a hint of strawberry milkshake!!! You can massively tell the difference between unfrozen and frozen, although I do know several chefs who claim there is no difference and re-warm the truffle gently prior to using. Personally, I think they freeze a lot better in truffle-butter.

Next time we get a large batch in maybe I should post here and dish out a few at cost for people to try?

I still have a couple of winter truffles in the freezer from last season, pretty much useless now though…

Truffle

Grow truffles- www.PlantationSystems.com –buy trees
tahir

Truffle wrote:
Next time we get a large batch in maybe I should post here and dish out a few at cost for people to try?


That'd be cool, but I think you should charge a profit, I'm sure none of us would mind you making money on it.
cab

If you fancy it, you could probably sell any surplus truffles or truffle products for a reasonable price on the trading post section of the site. I don't know how well they'd sell, but I think that you'd sell some. From the sounds of things there are several members who would love to try truffles.
hedgewitch

I'd be interested in finding out more about a share in a truffle Very Happy
judith

Me too.
Tinks

I'd be interested in buying a knobbly bit off the end! Very Happy I'd be keen to try it in scrambled egg, sounds delicious.
dpack

i need a tiny bit to train the hounds
as i dont see much difference between lumpfish roe and beluga i suspect it may be wasted on me Laughing
hedgewitch

dpack - are you training them to find truffles? Cool
Tinks

No, I think he wants them to be chefs!!
dpack

both seems sensible Laughing
hedgewitch

Laughing
hedgehogpie

Tinks wrote:
I'd be interested in buying a knobbly bit off the end! Very Happy


Shocked
jp

Count me in for a taster... Smile
doctoral

jp wrote:
Count me in for a taster... Smile


... me too (saves training a pig/dog to look for them - the cat hasn't got the hang of it yet) ...

cat
hedgehogpie

Quote:
(saves training a pig/dog to look for them - the cat hasn't got the hang of it yet) ...



Nah, it probably has, but it's a cat so it just can't be *rsed.

How much for one wafer thin shaving? Laughing
Bernie66

GYO has an interesting article in January's issue re truffles with a reference to a familiar name..
Truffle

Right!

Next time we get in a batch of fresh truffles I definitely post here! If there’s enough interest I could get a kilo delivered and spread it out in January without having to time it with some of our business orders?

Bernie, you saw it then Wink

Thanks,

Truffle
Bernie66

Truffle wrote:
Right!

Next time we get in a batch of fresh truffles I definitely post here! If there’s enough interest I could get a kilo delivered and spread it out in January without having to time it with some of our business orders?

Bernie, you saw it then Wink

Thanks,

Truffle


Certainly did. and I am tempted, very tempted Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home