Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Behemoth

UK potential energy savings miscalculated

In the world of estimation...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7071463.stm
alisjs

I find that surprising.....are they saying people are consciously totting up what they've saved and making a point of spending it, or that there is extra money left in peoples' wallets as a result of savings, so it just gets spent cos it's there?
Do people deliberately choose "green" options and blow their "winnings" on air travel?
It's not how my mind works, but the general public may not be like me!( I've had my suspicions about this.....)
Mrs Fiddlesticks

did the rebound effect in my OU course. Its things like if folk change to a diesel car from petrol, 9 times out of 10 they'll buy something with a bigger engine. Thereby cancelling out any environmental benefit from changing fuel.

Its partly to do with our growing affluence. The savings culture as all but disappeared. if we've got it we'll spend it! So folk might be 'green' at home but go on more foreign trips etc etc.
alisjs

Mrs Fiddlesticks wrote:
The savings culture as all but disappeared. if we've got it we'll spend it! So folk might be 'green' at home but go on more foreign trips etc etc.

true!
I have used my green savings to downsize and work less........you can keep affluence and give me time to grow veg etc
oldish chris

I thought that this is a variation on C. Northcote Parkinson's "law" that expenditure rises to meet income. If you save money on one item, e.g. electricity, you will spend it on something else. Total expenditure, i.e. consumption, will always be the same as income.

Don't bother with all this greenie stuff, just downsize (IMHO)
AnneandMike

oldish chris wrote:
I thought that this is a variation on C. Northcote Parkinson's "law" that expenditure rises to meet income. If you save money on one item, e.g. electricity, you will spend it on something else. Total expenditure, i.e. consumption, will always be the same as income.

Don't bother with all this greenie stuff, just downsize (IMHO)

Or even better, downsize and be as green as possible as well. I'm taking early retirement next year on a reduced pension to do just that. Stuff the materialism and grow loads more organic fruit and veg.
oldish chris

I'm with you all the way on this. However, the alternative to planet trashing consumerism isn't necessarily the "Good Life" (as in Tom and Barbara), the point I want to make is that just about any low income and/or part time lifestyle would do the trick. Some people really hate gardening (don't understand it myself) but does that mean they must just work and consume?
dougal

Regardless of any 'overcompensation' effect, one thing that is generally overlooked is that the energy used by lightbulbs and appliances goes (largely) into heating the house.
Reduce the energy used by the bulbs, leave the thermostat alone and the central heating will turn on for longer (use more energy) to compensate.
Sure heating by lightbulbs isn't to be encouraged, but it needs to be recognised that the *national* energy saving possible from low energy bulbs alone, is much less than one might be led to think from a superficial comparison of the wattages.
vegplot

There are a lot of people who really like a bright house all the time and that mentality will be more difficult to overcome if they perceive they can use more low energy bulbs simply because they are low energy. No net saving.
Green Man

We as a nation have never before had so much disposable income and yet as a nation we are deeper in debt than ever. Do the sums, we are consuming more than ever. Of course we have not downsized as a nation, surely it didn't take an 'expert' to tell us that.
If we sourced products locally, and paid local workers a fair rate for their work we would not have such big sums left over to buy thirsty cars or jet to the sun for our jollies.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home