Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Mary-Jane

Underwater wheelchair...

...this is so cool http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19389396
Mustang

Well, It's an interesting idea, but there are underwater scooters that are available that would work.

In the report, it says she didn't have the strength to hang onto a scooter. Scooters have a harness point that you attach to a harness on yourself - a belt for example, and that is what pulls you along. You just 'clip on', and use your hand(s) to control the speed.

Regardless, underwater power is truely fun. When I take mine to the local swimming pool, the kids love playing with it.

wellington womble

I am Absolutley, completely in favour anything at all that enables wheelchair users to participate in anything they want to. But I can't see the point of the wheels. There are plenty of reasons why someone might need a chair rather than just propulsion, where a harness wouldn't be enough, but unless it's designed for land use as well (and in my experience the bearings hate even a bit of sea spray, let alone regular submersion) I can't see why you wouldnt just use a chair. Totally for accessible sport, it just seems a bit OTT to me. But then, why not prove a wheelchair can do anything. They pretty much can, except stiles. Stiles are a pain. It's often a great deal of effort though, and people need an enormous amount of motivation to achieve this sort of thing, so she does deserve credit for that.
Jamanda

It's performance art rather than a practical way of moving around underwater.

She's from round these parts, Barnstaple, to be exact.

http://www.susanaustin.co.uk/
12Bore

It's performance art

Aaahh.
Mustang

The Scuba Trust is a group I've bumped into a few times on dives around the place. They are a charity who ensure that disabled people can go diving, safely.

See http://scubatrust.org.uk/ for their site. Check out the videos in Barbados in the Video section (can't link as it's flash). They use a wheelchair with bubble tyres to get them in the water, then people help them into the boat. You'll see they are wearing a yellow harness ... makes it much easier to pull people in and out of boats. Police and some other recreational divers wear a harness as part of their normal kit, so they can be grabbed easily and winched / pulled up things. It's not just for disabled divers.

Disabled divers are accompanied by a couple of able bodied divers. I've seen them using fins that fit over their hands if they cant use their legs. They can also use a mono-fin on their legs if one leg works whilst the other doesn't. They use all sorts of adaptions to allow the disabled diver to dive as independantly as possible.

Great organisation. They are always laughing and joking, whenever I've seen them. They must all really enjoy it - able bodied as well as disabled.

wellington womble

It's performance art

Aaahh.

Ahhh. I'm not very good at art. Particularly performance art. Wich would explain why I didn't get it!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home