Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

Unexpected business via Facebook - it can happen

Well, I never thought I'd get any business via Facebook but indirectly I've just received my first income for 2013!

As some of you know I use FB to sort of blog about my linocuts as they progress and I've got a few people following my exploits.

I received an email out of the blue yesterday from the husband of one of my *friends* (I don;t actually know her) asking if I was doing any workshops in the near future as it's her birthday in a couple of weeks.

A couple of emails later, we've agreed a half day, one-to-one workshop in her studio about an hour from me and I've just received an upfront deposit Smile

I now need to design a voucher to send off asap.

So, FB isn't all waffle and games ...
Pleasantly surprised.

EV
sally_in_wales

Excellent! Ive also had a few small jobs and commissions over the last year directly due to some waffling on FB and Twitter, so it definately does pay off
Green Rosie

I have had enquiries via Facebook but nothing (as yet) that has turned into a booking. I have however, had 4 bookings through Twitter Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

We get business from friends made on facebook, and use the advertising tool too. We pay 1 a day to reach people within 25km of Cheltenham (about 96,000 people). Difficult to quantify the business it brings to us, but to raise awareness of something like our recent move, it seemed to work OK.

That reminds me - must put up a new one for the new year.
earthyvirgo

I have had enquiries via Facebook but nothing (as yet) that has turned into a booking. I have however, had 4 bookings through Twitter Very Happy

I think it's just a matter of time Green Rosie.
Do you keep a record of the casual enquiries?

When you have Special Offers or late availability it might be worth a 'soft' follow up if you felt you could turn some of them into bookings.

EV
earthyvirgo

We get business from friends made on facebook, and use the advertising tool too. We pay 1 a day to reach people within 25km of Cheltenham (about 96,000 people). Difficult to quantify the business it brings to us, but to raise awareness of something like our recent move, it seemed to work OK.

There's a Welsh saying that comes to mind ...

"Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

It's a gentle but persistent knocking that breaks the stone - I think this is very true with Social Media.

EV
Green Rosie

I think it's just a matter of time Green Rosie.
Do you keep a record of the casual enquiries?

When you have Special Offers or late availability it might be worth a 'soft' follow up if you felt you could turn some of them into bookings.

EV

I am sure you are right EV - I am not very good at keeping track of casual enquires but I think your idea of gentle reminder is excellent. I am sure I can track them down and I'll add "keeping better track of ALL enquiries" to my list of things to do better in 2013 Wink
Nick

There's a Welsh saying that comes to mind ...

"Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

It's a gentle but persistent knocking that breaks the stone - I think this is very true with Social Media.

EV

Sounds true enough, but the best bit is that the welsh word for that noise made when bangin on a stone is donc. Excellent.

Do not feel the need to correct me, it will serve no purpose.
welsh veg grower

glad facebook is working for you. Social media can work really well but it is as you say a slow and gentel knocking which wins over. Pinterest would work well for you especially that new business idea you had EV. See my comment on post about google+ lettucewoman

Had quite a few commissions and sales through my FB page...going to add ecommerce to it in the new year and use the twitter account more too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy gz

I've had quite a few pot sales via facebook....links between website/etsy/blog/fb help a lot. Smile Calli

Having a presence on all these networks can only spread the word and the new marketing is WOM - word of mouth

If they all link back to a decent website then all is good.

Is it easier to start conversations in a mutual market place like FB or Twitter....
frewen

Congratulations! Cool

I'm another who has got work through FB and Twitter - and I'm sure that the client will post online about what a marvellous time she had too ( and thereby bring in more work) Smile
Faithmead

Well done you Very Happy great stuff. I'll keep quietly and gently knocking Wink earthyvirgo

Just had a lovely message from the very excited recipient of the gift voucher for one-to-one training.

All I need to do now is live up to her expectations !! Smile

EV
DorsetScott

I've had quite a few pot sales via facebook....links between website/etsy/blog/fb help a lot. Smile

I had to read that post 3 times before I noticed the link in your forum signature. Being a newbie here and not knowing people it read completely differently to start with Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home