Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
onemanband

Using home for business

I'm looking to move, either to a self build or (realisticaly) an existing property.
My plan is to have a yard area - preferably fenced off, about 6mx6m - and adjacent off-road parking for a Transit type tipper. Also at least one shed/outbuilding for business use. Total business area say 20% of what would otherwise be garden(not incl driveway).
Yard would be used for storing building equipment and materials.
Occasionaly - say 1 or 2 days a month - I will construct something business related at home. eg carpentry.
If I move more rural, selling of firewood 'at the gate' could be another sideline.
So I'm looking at this
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073791627&r.i=1073791630&r.l1=1086951342&r.l2=1073859248&r.l3=1073960216&r.s=sc&r.t=RESOURCES&type=RESOURCES
I figure that as long as the neighbours are reasonable and I don't upset the authorities in other ways then I should be ok.

Any thoughts ? Anyone had problems ?
Chez

I would have thought that would be fine, particularly in a rural area.

The main issue is traffic and lots of people visiting, I think, so long as you are not building a tannery in the garden or something like that.
AnnieK

Two things;

First, do talk informally to your local council, or the council where you are looking to move to. As Chez says, they will be concerrned about the implications for traffic, visitors to the property and nuisance.

Some properties will have clauses in the deeds excluding business, or certain types of business at a property. Be sure to check, with future expansion possiblities in mind.

Talk to an accountant; my gut feeling is, never have any part of your property exclusively for business use as this may have implications for resale of the property not to mention business rates. i think that as long as you keep the lawnmower and the kids' bikes in your carpentry workshop, exclusivity goes out the window, but be careful about checking and do go to a local accountant in the area you will be doing business.

ETA; that's three things isn't it. <hangs head> <counts fingers>
onemanband

Two things;

ETA; that's three things isn't it. <hangs head> <counts fingers>

Yep I make it 3 too.
1. Traffic will be mainly me, so this shouldn't be an issue, and if I sold anything at gate, that would be passing anyway.

2. Yes, clauses and bylaws would have to be checked on a case by case basis.

3.Yes, have briefly looked into this. I reckon I'd only be liable for capital gains if I had to pay busiuness rates - which I'm fairly sure I won't. Will check with accountant when time comes as need to up amount claimed for use of home. Good point about exclusive use - I think that could be the key thing.

I think if I 'stay under the radar' and don't annoy the neighbours (too much Smile ) I'll be ok. Just thought I'd check I wasn't doing anything blatently wrong that a grumpy neighbour could use against me.
onemanband

Two things;
my gut feeling is, never have any part of your property exclusively for business use as this may have implications for resale of the property not to mention business rates. i think that as long as you keep the lawnmower and the kids' bikes in your carpentry workshop, exclusivity goes out the window,

You're spot on there.
Was just talking to friends dad - commercial landlord + various other businesses - Anyhow he was telling me about an aquaintance with a very professional home office - except for the clothes airer with a pair of pants on. The pants haven't changed in half a dozen years - reason - exclusive use.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home