Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
James

Welsh water fine

Having said that tap water was the safest thing to drink a few weeks ago, here’s an article from the other side of the fence:
(published by ENDS Report)

Welsh Water fined over disease outbreak
Welsh Water has paid out almost £130,000 after admitting failures which contributed to widespread stomach illness in 2005-6.

The Drinking Water Inspectorate brought its first successful prosecution for cryptosoporidium contamination against Welsh Water on 11 October.

Welsh Water appeared before Caernarfon magistrates to plead guilty to four charges of supplying water unfit for human consumption, contrary to section 70 of the Water Industry Act. The company was fined £15,000 on each of the charges and ordered to pay costs of £69,399.

Some 231 cases of cryptosporidiosis, symptoms of which include severe diarrhoea and vomiting, were confirmed in Gwynedd and Anglesey between November 2005 and January 2006. The illness is caused by the parasite cryptosporidium which is resistant to chlorination and easily spread in water supplies.

The contamination probably originated from sewage effluent discharges to Llyn Cwellyn, a large upland lake which was the source of the raw water. Although the water company’s risk assessment assumed the lake was a pristine source, there was intermittent evidence of faecal bacteria being present. The company failed to realise that there might also be a risk from cryptosporidium.

Epidemiological evidence suggested that the contamination was a very rare event. The Drinking Water Inspectorate was arguably also at fault for failing to point out the inadequacies in the company’s risk assessment. The water supply was the subject of an investigation by the regulator in 2004.

http://www.endsreport.com/index.cfm?action=bulletin.article&articleID=17812
(by subscription)
Behemoth

Crypto is a nasty thing and everything should be done to protect the water supply. Was the source of the contamination ever identified? At the time it was thought it might have been someone's septic tank but I don't know if this was ever confirmed.
VSS

I expect they will use my payment of the huge bill they have just sent to pay for the fine!
Behemoth

VSS wrote:
I expect they will use my payment of the huge bill they have just sent to pay for the fine!

Shareholders pay the fine and the treasury gets the cash. So you can be reassured that only incy bit was paying the fine. The rest is for corporate junkets to London and fine dining.
RichardW

Behemoth wrote:
VSS wrote:

Shareholders pay the fine and the treasury gets the cash. So you can be reassured that only incy bit was paying the fine. The rest is for corporate junkets to London and fine dining.

For welsh water the users ARE the shareholders. We get about £25 each year of our bill. Welsh water are a not for profit company. So we will all loose our reduction to pay for it.

Justme
Behemoth

Oh yeah! Forgot about that. D'Oh!

So its your fault then. Wink

I wonder if it can be traced to a septic tank - could that person be sued by Welsh Water?
RichardW

Behemoth wrote:
Oh yeah! Forgot about that. D'Oh!

So its your fault then. Wink

I wonder if it can be traced to a septic tank - could that person be sued by Welsh Water?

LOL They tried that but dont think they could find one that was leaking.

Justme
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home