Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Blue Sky

What do you use (primarily) to heat your home?

Yet another poll. Sorry.

Even if you don't much prefer the way you heat your home this way please answer honestly.

You can say how you would prefer to heat your home in the thread.
sean

Gas or wood. Not sure which actually contributes most normally. Mind you, the CH wasn't working last winter and we were OK, so presumably wood is the answer. Do I win anything?
Rob R

Coal mainly, ran out for about a month recently & just relied on some not very good wood- feels good to have some coal again.

Other ways would want to heat... Geotherm probably
wellington womble

At the moment, gas or nothing (no heating on the ground floor, currently, due to a likely leak) Eventually, we have solar and wood that will probably do most of it. But right now, gas is the front-runner, not the back up!
Chez

Currently oil, and solar DHW. BUT!!!!! Next week we are having our multifuel not-a-rayburn-but-close fitted, with a neutraliser, which will hopefully allow us to drop our reliance on the evil oil.
Mrs Fiddlesticks

purely electricity and storage heaters at that. House wasn't built with anything else. Aiming to put a wood-burner in to the open fire sometime this year to alter that.
Nanny

well it sort of get shared.....

the have oil central heating installed that we use a bit and the woodburner that we use free wood in but also boost it with multifuel.......

because we use so much free wood, it doesn't cost us all that much for the other two
Treacodactyl

wellington womble wrote:
At the moment, gas or nothing (no heating on the ground floor, currently, due to a likely leak)

You need to find yourself a plumber. Wink

We currently mainly use gas now I've finished installing the central heating. When we move I'll install solar and wood and I'm very tempted to try and do without central heating altogether.
cab

Gas central heating, condensing boiler. Don't use it all that much though, only when she's cold.
2steps

recently had a new gas boiler and radiators fitted but before that we had an old back boiler and raidators
Green Rosie

Woodburner heats most of the house only leaving one bedroom quite cold. In the extra cold weather we used some oil-fired radiators as well.

We still are unsure how to heat the house and gites in the long run - wood-pellet burner coupled with solar panels for our house and woodstove with back burner plus sloar panels for the gites are the most popular options at the moment.

Still very likely to change and we are always open to advice/info on other green heating systems (looked at ground source but it was just too expensive Sad )
JB

Oil mostly. But I'd like to get the insulation to the point where waste heat from cooking, lights etc would make the heating pretty much obsolete.
Barefoot Andrew

Gas central heating, combi boiler of at least 8 years old. In less than mild weather I tend to run my heating all day, turned lowish, so the house never gets really cold.

A.
Jonnyboy

Wow, nice to see wood doing well.
marigold

I've got mains gas CH (combi boiler), but very very rarely have it on all day and never at night. Sometimes I use an electric fan or halogen heater for a quick localised warm-up rather than put the CH on.
hardworkinghippy

When the sun shines in winter it helps to heat up our floor which is laid on straw bales and stores the heat for a long time.

On chilly spring and autumn days we light the open fire which also heats the water and radiators upstairs in the same circuit as the solar for heating water in summer. The chimney is a thermal store and it's bent to trap the heat for the drying cupboard and bathroom upstairs. We cook a lot on the fire a a barbecue or for slow cooking in a cauldron on the ashes.

When winter sets in we light the wood stove which we also use for cooking, baking, drying, instant hot water (in a kettle) or heating up pans of water for dishes socks etc. It stays in for about three months.

We burn about 8m metres of wood a year.
LynneA

Although the house has gas central heating, it doesn't seem to be working properly, so we just switched it off. We just use a small electric heater in whichever room we're in. The house seems to be well insulated on its outer walls, and I think we pick up ambient heat from next door.

I haven't felt too cold yet - just add a jumper and socks and make myself a hot drink.
kevin.vinke

Were mainly on wood. A woodburner in the stairwell area of the house which keeps the very downstairs (kids bedrooms) warm. This stays on all day if its cold. We also have a woodburner in the living room / dinning area for the evenings.
Weve recently cut back again on the oil burner which used to run twice a day for hot water and the radiators in the bathroom, it now runs for 1 1/2 hrs in the mornings. OH hates a cold bathroom.

Im hoping to fit solar panels and a woodburner that turns the wood gasses into fuel first then burns the wood (supposed to be 30% more efficient) heating 2000ltrs of water which should keep the whole house warm.
lettucewoman

at the moment we have gas central heating but LPG is so expensive we don't use it much - we have a halogen heater in the living room, shortly to be replaced by a woodburner...

however it's often quite cold so we warm up other ways.... Wink
Vanessa

We're currently oil, which is so expensive we hardly dare use it!! Crying or Very sad We do have a wood fired range in the kitchen that's alight all day every day in cooler weather.

However, by next winter, we'll be all-wood, with solar for summer hot water to follow on in the next year or two.
lottie

80% wood
20% anthracite
for heat and hot water---I'd prefer all wood but when it's really cold and/or I have aged p's visiting we need the anthracite to keep the central heating o.k. all night.
Nanny

the renovation plans for this place include solar panels for heat and hot water

i welcome that...i would like to be more self sufficient in that way.....
Helen_A

We have GCH here - although it is more normal that we just add on extra jumpers or duvets Smile

Investigating adding on a 'temporary' garden room atm, to see if that may make a difference wrt the downstairs back room.

Helen_A
gai

Wood from our holding and turf from our bog. We have an oil system installed but as yet have not needed to switch it on. Wood and turf burned in the solid fuel range for approx 6-8 hours daily heats the entire (3000+ sq ft house. It also provides all the hot water and most of the cooking facilites. I have yet to master the ovens for baking.
I must add that we spent a fortune on insulation as we built the house. It was one of the most important considerations.
Tilia

Calor gas heater in the living room and a small radiator in the upstairs hall. Planning to investigate the chimney and maybe put a woodburning stove in when we can get a bit of cash together.
New Brunswick

We had when we moved in a real mix

oil 2 tanks..one for pool Very Happy
elecric heat exchange
wood stove in lounge

We have now changed to outdoor wood furnace which does all the house heat and heats the pool to a nice temp Laughing Laughing

We have had heat on for house every day since Oct but then temps here call for it. If using it just for the house OH fills up the furnace once a day and we stay at a nice 20-22 degrees. Great when outside hits -20's

One night the house was 21 derees I think and ouside was -26 and bizarre to go to sleep thinking of the temp difference just outside by less than a foot Smile Maybe actually I should go to sleep thinking of more interesting things Embarassed
Slim

hardworkinghippy wrote:
We burn about 8m metres of wood a year.

Anyone know what that is in cords? Wait this site: http://www.unitconversion.org/volume-lumber/cord-conversion.html has it. Just over 2 cords, not bad. (I assume you meant cubic meters, right?)
hardworkinghippy

Cpg03,

That's a useful converter thanks.

Yes, I meant 8 metres long by one metre high by one metre. Embarassed

This what we have left for the rest of winter :

Jamanda

hardworkinghippy wrote:
Cpg03,

That's a useful converter thanks.

Yes, I meant 8 metres long by one metre high by one metre. Embarassed

This what we have left for the rest of winter :

Better hope it stays warm! That doesn't look like much to me.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home