Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Aeolienne

What happened to the Gaia Energy Centre?

As in the visitor attraction built next to Britain's oldest wind farm at Delabole, Cornwall... The simplest answer is that the Gaia Energy Centre closed in 2003, but I was wondering what happened to the solar panelled eco-building it was housed in. Does anyone know?
Lorrainelovesplants

Live about 10 miles away from it. it changed its name to something else. Still has all the windmills and theres a helluva fusds locally because they want to put loads more nearby at 400ft tall (yes that IS correct). The name will come to me at some point....
joanne

Bugger - I just realised that we were staying near you Lorraine whilst we were down in Cornwall last week - Stayed at a campsite near Bodmin!
Lorrainelovesplants

Sad
Thats a shame. Did you have to endure all that rain? Weather was awful.
joanne

Weather was ....interesting - We arrived midday on Tuesday and left on Friday - Thankfully whilst it was pouring down on Wednesday we were under cover at Eden and on Thursday we went to Boscastle to the Witches Museum in the morning/mid afternoon and to Trebarwith Strand later on - Sun was out all day and the kids + the OH had a fantastic time in the sea

Hasn't put us off though - We want to come down again next year
Lorrainelovesplants

Trebarwith is great - its one of our favourite places too!
Eden is okay, but when youve seen it twice thats really enough.
Have you done St michaels Mount or st ives. we try to combine both in a day, its a really great day out.
lanhydrock also - tons to see, whether you like the gardens or the historical stuff.
let me know in loads of time next year and Ill collect some info and vouchers for you (the local newspapers always have offers for local attractions)
lorraine
Pilsbury

St michels mount is fantastic

Click to see full size image
Aeolienne

Hmm, six replies only ONE of which is germane to the issue!
Pilsbury

welcome to downsizer threads.
its a subject many of us are unlikely to know anything about as it seems to have been closed down 5 years ago in a distant (for many of us) county, the fact there is 1 relivent reply is quite good going
Jamanda

jocorless wrote:
Weather was ....interesting - We arrived midday on Tuesday and left on Friday - Thankfully whilst it was pouring down on Wednesday we were under cover at Eden and on Thursday we went to Boscastle to the Witches Museum in the morning/mid afternoon and to Trebarwith Strand later on - Sun was out all day and the kids + the OH had a fantastic time in the sea

Hasn't put us off though - We want to come down again next year

Make sure you stop off via us next time!
Jamanda

Aeolienne wrote:

Heck, the replies are all about Cornwall - that's pretty good!
Why are you interested anyhow?
Aeolienne

Jamanda wrote:
Aeolienne wrote:

Heck, the replies are all about Cornwall - that's pretty good!
Why are you interested anyhow?

Because I'm interested in renewable energy. That's why I took the trouble to post this in the "energy efficiency & construction" forum rather than "chat".
Jamanda

I thought perhaps you were planning on visiting it.

Have you seen this?

http://www.delabole.com/windfarm.html

There are contact details on there.
Aeolienne

I have already visited it (when it was still open, obviously) - back in 2002 Energy 21 held a one-day conference there.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home