Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Pilsbury

what was your favourite sweet by the quarter?

I'm trying to help out a friend by giving them a business plan, I have the germ of an idea but need help fleshing it out so to speak so I'm looking for peoples favourite sweets that they bought by The quarter out of jars on the shelf behind the sweet shop counter.
Really looking for the bygone favourites I might not of heard of, if someone else has already said your choice in the thread say it again. I'm looking for about 10 to 15 sweets in total so what do you remember and long for now that you haven't seen in years.
Thanks
tahir

Army & Navy and Victory Vs
pookie

ooh barley sugars, strawberries and cream, rhubarb and custard, pineapple chunks, cinder toffee, coconut mushrooms, peanut brittle,

licorice pipes, shoelaces, some coconut tobacco style stuff...

not that I have a sweet tooth or anything Embarassed Wink
Behemoth

Soor plooms
Mary-Jane

Pear drops Very Happy
mochyn

Coconut mushrooms; peanut brittle.
LynneA

cola cubes & fruit salads
nora

Floral gums and cherry lips.
Behemoth

Sherbert lemons, cola cubes, pinapple chunks, midget gems (but not the black ones).
Bebo

Cola cubes, sherbet pips and sweet
peanuts.
Pilsbury

Fantastic. Keep them coming.
nora

strawberry and lemon bon bons.
quarter bag of sherbert.
Chez

Bulls eyes and Imperial mints.
sean

Liquorice comfits, pear drops, pineapple chunks, sherbert pips.
Went

Wine gums, mint humbugs, cinder toffee, chocolate limes....

Victory Vs - can you still get them Tahir? I used to love them.
nora

Chewing nuts (these were chocolate/toffee not nuts).
Luath

Sherbert pips, cola cubes, pineapple chunks, Moffat toffee, Everton mints, pan drops, jazzies (chocolate buttons with hundreds and thousands on)
sean

Wine gums, mint humbugs, cinder toffee, chocolate limes....

Victory Vs - can you still get them Tahir? I used to love them.

Oh yes.
We had a shop in town that sold them and proper razor blades and TCP ointment and Styptic pencils and, and , and...
(It closed just before Christmas. Sad )
wildfoodie

Gobstoppers! black jacks, those little milk bottle shaped chews, peanut brittle, barley sugars, lemon sherbets wine gums, gummy bears, and something I can't remember the name of - highly acidic pale white in colour with a 'draw your arris up to your elbows' effect...
alice

Coconut mushrooms, teacakes, kop kops, winterwarmers, midget gems, Riley's chocolate toffee rolls, lime&liquorice, blackcurrant&liquorice, spearmint chews, apple tarts, traffic lights, everton mints, buttermints, sweet peanuts, chocolate covered nougat, liqourice tablets, herbal tablets, sherbert lemons, blackberries&raspberries, sports mixture, floral gums, liqourice torpedoes.....
joanne

Chewing nuts which weren't nuts at all but caramel blobs covered in chocolate

Sherbet dib-dabs and coloured liquorice

Have you seen this site?

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/?gclid=CKHc3L_YyLACFUYntAods2UzYA

It's more or less exactly what your friend is wanting to do I suspect?
gardening-girl

Winter mixture,flying saucers,dolly mixtures,jelly babies.
sally_in_wales

sherbet pips were my favourite by the quarter because they lasted ages, but I was also partial to a flying saucer, those chocolate discs covered in hundreds & thousands, and liquorice allsorts
Pilsbury

I had seen the website but wanted to know what people would buy to keep initial stock outlay low.
My plan is to travel round care and residential homes set up a sweetshop in the corner of a lounge for a couple of hours and sell to a captive market. I work in a home so know the concept well but my mate is on a restricted start up budget and so want the top sellers to get them going.
They,have dome sweets on markets before but don't realise the potential of the traveling sweet shop yet.
Sell by the quarter and wrapped in paper cones I think it would be a winner.
sally_in_wales

Sell by the quarter and wrapped in paper cones I think it would be a winner.

Maybe also have a few small jars for people who want to buy some as a gift or to keep in their rooms? I can imagine a scenario where 'my grandson is visiting next week and this will save me thinking of a small treat for him' type of thinking, a few jars might work well and easy enough to set up with an assortment in
Pilsbury

She has the jars and we can just refill them but a lot of the people here have a little pot of sweets in their rooms, I'm thinking 2 homes a day, 5 days a week visiting one every 4 weeks so that's 40 homes, that would be a relatively small area with the density of homes round here and popular as well. Bungo

Aniseed twists and lemon bonbons thumbright mochyn

sherbet pips were my favourite by the quarter because they lasted ages, but I was also partial to a flying saucer, those chocolate discs covered in hundreds & thousands, and liquorice allsorts

Ooh yes: flying saucers. The old chap bought me a big bag of them one Christmas!
Nell Merionwen

I think cir3ngirl may have some ideas here.

I liked pineapple chunks and rainbow sherbet.
Nicky Colour it green

mint humbugs, sherbet lemons, chocolate limes

and rhubarb and custard
Behemoth

Flying saucers are made of rice paper or something similar and filled with sherbert. Chocolate! I ask you? tahir

Not quarters, but fruit toffos and spangles. nora

There are some retro sweets now made that are suitable for diabetics so maybe you could get some of these so diabetics don't feel left out. Pilsbury

There are some retro sweets now made that are suitable for diabetics so maybe you could get some of these so diabetics don't feel left out.
There are but they tend to be a lot more expensive and I am a great believer that 90% of diabetic don't need special foods, they just need good advice and to be honest by the time they are here and are monitored 3 times a day by nurses we tend not to worry to much, if they aNy chocolate fudge cake we give them chocolate fudge cake but it is something I am aware of.
nora

Yes, I think you're right and they do look quite expensive. vegplot

Acid drops
Pear drops
Lemon sherbets
Victory V's
Rhubarb and Custards
Sour Apples
Barley Twists
Pilsbury

Well that's 54 suggestions so far with the winning ones so far
Victory v
Pineapple cubes
coconut mushrooms
peanut brittle
pear drops
Cola cubes
sherbert lemons
sherbert pips
Sweet peanuts
chocate linear and
Flyimg saucers.
earthyvirgo

Not quarters, but fruit toffos and spangles.

Spangles Smile
D'you remember the 'Old English' ones?

EV
tahir

Spangles Smile

EV

Yeah, but what did they taste of?
lettucewoman

satin cushions, lemonade powder, sweet tobacco, sherbet pips, chewing nuts, fruit salads, rhubarb and custard, rainbow powder!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy DawnMK

Some-one I know has just started something similar in conjuction with the old fashion sweet shop we have in town, she put together a folder with pics of the sweets prices etc and it has been put in a pretty folder, the residents can then go through the folder and place there order for delivery the following week, the orders are collected on a friday with money, and the sweets a delivered to the home the following week, so she dosent have to hold any stock she now covers about 5 various residential homes in our area, just a thought then there isnt any stock out lay
Rolling Eyes
cir3ngirl

There are some retro sweets now made that are suitable for diabetics so maybe you could get some of these so diabetics don't feel left out.
There are but they tend to be a lot more expensive and I am a great believer that 90% of diabetic don't need special foods, they just need good advice and to be honest by the time they are here and are monitored 3 times a day by nurses we tend not to worry to much, if they aNy chocolate fudge cake we give them chocolate fudge cake but it is something I am aware of.

Our sugar free sweets sell for the same price as the sugared ones. We have about 50 sugar frees in the shop at any one time.

Liquorice root, sprogs, humbugs, sherbet lemons, Kop Kops, all go down well with our older customers
RichardW

My plan is to travel round care and residential homes set up a sweetshop in the corner of a lounge for a couple of hours and sell to a captive market.

The werthers mafia will be after you Shocked Shocked
Jamanda

Are there any locally made old favourites that the oldies might remember? Like Uncle Joe's Mint balls but for Dagenham (if my memory serves me right) Pilsbury

Actually now you mention it the trebor factory was less than a mile down the road from Tue home I'm in, only its not my area I'm planning to get her set up in but I will look into it. earthyvirgo

Spangles Smile

EV

Yeah, but what did they taste of?

One was liquorice flavoured, the rest were just, well, sort of odd.
They were black, orange, yellow'y colours I think ...

EV
DawnMK

pontefract cakes, american hard gums, midget gems, pineapple cubes, Katieowl

I used to LOVE old English spangles....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spangles

I liked the yellow ones...but I'm pretty sure they weren't butterscotch, because we used to by Callard and Bowser(?) sweeties that came individually wrapped in a small paper 'box' and they had liquorish toffee and butterscotch (and a nougat)

Kate
Azura Skye

pineapple chunks and butterscotch sqaure things that were chewy earthyvirgo

I used to LOVE old English spangles....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spangles

I liked the yellow ones...but I'm pretty sure they weren't butterscotch, because we used to by Callard and Bowser(?) sweeties that came individually wrapped in a small paper 'box' and they had liquorish toffee and butterscotch (and a nougat)

Kate

Don't mention nougat, foul, foul stuff.
It's a psychological thing for me, the day after the first time I ever tried nougat (I was 11yrs old and it was Boxing Day), I was rushed into hospital for an emergency whipping out of my appendix!

I can't stand the stuff to this day.

EV
Ty Gwyn

Raspberry Ruffles,
Rum and Butter.
arvo

Lemon Bon Bons

Or chocolate raisins.
sean

You're going to have to stay alert if the Giant Rabbit Plan comes to fruition. Or do they produce giant poo? Nick

Army and navy
Aniseed balls with the seed
Cola cubes
Candy cigarettes
Clipper mints.
Nick

Rhubarb and custard
Pear drops
Pineapple cubes
Midget gems
Pilsbury

Keep them coming, still time to affect the top 10 lol.
Oh and how much would you expect to pay for a quarter? That's about 100 grams in new money lol
Nick

10 or 12p, obviously. tahir

The oldies in my family love chocolate eclairs, sugared almonds, cough candies, army & navy, mintoes, murray mints, humbugs nora

My dad likes Edinbrough Rock. Nick

The oldies in my family love chocolate eclairs, sugared almonds, cough candies, army & navy, mintoes, murray mints, humbugs

You are the oldie.
tahir

You are the oldie.

We can't all be toy boys Wink
Nick

No, that's true.

Grandpa.
cir3ngirl

Keep them coming, still time to affect the top 10 lol.
Oh and how much would you expect to pay for a quarter? That's about 100 grams in new money lol

In our shop price on jar is per 100g but if you want a quarter that's what you get. Most here are 1.99 for 100g
richt

Pear drops
Barley sugars
Aniseed balls
nora

barratts spogs ( the pink and blue bobbly aniseed jellys) Jamanda

barratts spogs ( the pink and blue bobbly aniseed jellys)

Is that what they are called? I never knew that. No, I never liked them at all.

The best ones in liquorice allsorts are the all liquorice ones. Pontefract cakes - now they are good.

Has anyone mentioned sherbert lemons? or barley sugar? (Don't like it much my self, but it strikes me as the sort of thing you might be after.)
gray_b

imp's - very little tiny black hard liquorice sweets, that came in a very small box, smaller than a matchbox. numberwang

Another vote for lemon bon bons Nick

imp's - very little tiny black hard liquorice sweets, that came in a very small box, smaller than a matchbox.

Aye. Loved them.
earthyvirgo

The best ones in liquorice allsorts are the all liquorice ones. Pontefract cakes - now they are good

Pontefract cakes, my Dad's favourites.
He gets a huge bag every Christmas Smile

EV
alison

If you had a special order folder, than you could always buy the odd quarter from a sweet shop in town, while you are saving up for more stock. Kanga

Now I'm sitting here wishing I had some spogs (don't know how you found out they were called that Nora), acid drops or Black Jacks but I'm finding it impossible to get Black Jacks now. The ones I used to love many years ago were square, in black and white paper but were the boiled sweet kind, crunchy and not chewy. pottyaboutgrowing

Sweet peanuts, pinapple chunks, nutty slack, boy that takes me back to the good ol day's, lol
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home