Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Melli-Jane

where do you buy packaging?

I need to source some packaging for our first food fair - we will mainly be selling diced marinated speciality meat. we will probably vacpac in foodgrade bags to allow the marinade to work and ensure airtight but wanted to keep as eco as possible with perhaps the bag in a blank biodegradable box or sleeve with our stickers on them - needs to be attractive as its a festive food fair and i'm looking at attracting people who want something special/local for christmas/new year meals. can anyone recommend a reasonable priced supplier?
Rob R

To be eco as possible why not just your labels on the vac pack?
earthyvirgo

I don't know about the cardboard sleeves but for stickers, if you don't want huge numbers and want to experiment a bit with waht works and what doesn't, you can't go far wrong with MOO www.moo.com

Whilst what Rob says is valid for products people know and are familiar with, if this is your first time, and it's a festive fair, having packaging that's eye-catching and attractive will impact on sales.

I don't think it's just designer'y people who are swayed by good quality graphics/labels/wrappers etc

EV
Rob R

I wasn't suggesting something that wasn't eye catching or attractive, just that you're already spending more on the vac pack & the labels, shouldn't that be enough without covering up the product in unnecessary extra packaging?
Melli-Jane

Hi thanks, yes saw Moo and will be using them for our labels, I suppose I'm a little worried that vac packed bags on their own can look messy, hence a small sleeve or carton. I going to go along to the autumn fair at the same location this weekend on a fact finding exercise but I wanted them to stand out and look (hopefully) eye catching.
the labels need to include all the usual info plus cooking instructions and a recipe idea - I hope, if time permits, to also sell small chilled pies with each filling in so people can buy a snack and get a taste of the product.
can you get 'eco' vac bags? completely torn as I hate extra packaging, but have to balance this with a product that someone can pick up and say ' this looks nice/inviting/good for new year/grandparent etc'.... the meat needs to be sealed as the marinade/sauce is very wet and also needs to be capable of being frozen...
Nick

I wasn't suggesting something that wasn't eye catching or attractive, just that you're already spending more on the vac pack & the labels, shouldn't that be enough without covering up the product in unnecessary extra packaging?

Nope. The packaging will sell it better than seeing the product, if its done right.
earthyvirgo

Nope. The packaging will sell it better than seeing the product, if its done right.

Agree.

Probably my favourite brand/packaging at the moment and it's as green as they come, Clipper's Teas. Beautiful bit of design.

EV
Rob R

I think with vac packs you just have to accept that practicality has to come before eco but I think they can look good if they have a very good label attached, with or without a card sleeve.

Check out http://www.finefoodworld.co.uk/ for some good ideas on packaging.
Rob R

Agree.

Probably my favourite brand/packaging at the moment and it's as green as they come, Clipper's Teas. Beautiful bit of design.

EV

I don't disagree, the packaging does sell stuff but I was referring to the brief, which was;

I need to source some packaging for our first food fair - we will mainly be selling diced marinated speciality meat. we will probably vacpac in foodgrade bags to allow the marinade to work and ensure airtight but wanted to keep as eco as possible with perhaps the bag in a blank biodegradable box or sleeve with our stickers on them - needs to be attractive as its a festive food fair and i'm looking at attracting people who want something special/local for christmas/new year meals. can anyone recommend a reasonable priced supplier?

Spending more time getting a quality label design is the more important bit IMHO, as people will be drawn to that & it is a necessary expense. If the vac bags are quality too and the product well presented in them, it could remove the need for extra packaging, which fits the brief without compromising any of the points.

This is how I've seen it done on stalls before now - if you use a large label which folds over the top (ie has half of the writing upside down so that it can be read from the back) and covers the sealed edge, with the folded edges serving as the window it would look good in a presentation box/tray, facing the customer. I'm envisaging the packets to be about 6 inches square with the label 2.5 inches across & about 6 inches long, with a bias on the folding to either the front or back, depending which needs more info/surface area.
BadgerFace

Weald Packaging, in Buxted.

http://www.weald-packaging.co.uk/
Melli-Jane

wow - thanks everyone for your suggestions, and also to Badgerface, Buxted is just round the corner to me so would be better than ordering online from some faceless company 100 miles away!
i've started playing on Moo with some labels - excellent website but would be good if you can play with different fontsizes but they don't seem to do that unfortunately. I am going to have a muck about with our logo but am envisioning a different coloured background sticker for each product - so orange for goat, pink/purple for pork etc - this should also help customers & us to easily differentiate between products.
another question which again eludes me - is there a standard use by period for meat?
earthyvirgo

wow - thanks everyone for your suggestions, and also to Badgerface, Buxted is just round the corner to me so would be better than ordering online from some faceless company 100 miles away!
i've started playing on Moo with some labels - excellent website but would be good if you can play with different fontsizes but they don't seem to do that unfortunately. I am going to have a muck about with our logo but am envisioning a different coloured background sticker for each product - so orange for goat, pink/purple for pork etc - this should also help customers & us to easily differentiate between products.
another question which again eludes me - is there a standard use by period for meat?

If you've got the gubbins to create a high res image, you can upload you own designs.

Their fonts are pretty limiting. I wanted a particular font for my tiny 'handprinted' labels, so create individual files in photoshop.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home