Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Chez

Why DO you buy from your local farmer's market?

Because Jamanda said I should start a positive thread as well as the negative one Smile.

Why do you shop at your local market? What would you like to be able to buy there? What positive benefits do you get out of it?
Nick

Nice stall holders, fresh cakes, good bread, piping hot samosas with sour tamarind dip.

It's amongst the other non food shops, so I can aggregate my shopping. And I can park foc at tesco.

And it's big enough I can walk all the way around in time or finish a samosa. Oh, really? Better buy another for the journey home...
Rob R

It is in the livestock market so there is loads of free parking, and hot food available from the cafe. I generally only go for a chat & a nosey, but then I'm not exactly your average customer I guess. Razz
toggle

ah, to repeat what i said on the other thread.

i want to know i can always get some affordable basics. spuds, apples, veg. when i've got about enough that i know that will keep us going for a week/fortnight/whatever, then i can start to spend the rest of my budget on premium stuff.
earthmamma

You can get things not available in the supermarkets, ie different goat cheeses.
That said it costs me 1.10 to park so don't go that often!?
nora

Don't go often as its 1st Sunday of the month and I usually forget. It is close though, 5 minutes walk away.
The only thing I usually buy are sweet potato and coconut samosas which are perfect and the young couple selling them are nice and friendly.
earthmamma

Quote:
Don't go often as its 1st Sunday of the month and I usually forget.

Ask whether they have an email list, mine does amd I get an email on the Monday and the market is the following saturday.
Just a thought Very Happy
nora

Quote:
Don't go often as its 1st Sunday of the month and I usually forget.

Ask whether they have an email list, mine does amd I get an email on the Monday and the market is the following saturday.
Just a thought Very Happy

Thanks, thats a good idea, i'll try contacting them.
I will pencil the dates on too on the calender too while i'm thinking about it.
Jamanda

I go because there is a good fishmonger there, and that is the one thing that is really missing form the food shops in our town. Also there is a very small cheese producer who don't produce enough to supply the shops, but makes very nice stuff (I got some for the last skill's share). And there's usually free samples of sausages and things. And it's in a lovely garden with a nice cafe.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Combining my not-quite-dead-yet market and the nearest farm shop(s), I would like:
- Fresh, local basics (carrots that will happily sit for a week, etc). If these are cheaper than local supermarket - bonus!
- Local oddities - e.g. cheese, booze
- Fresh fish (*wistful sigh*)
- I think dried goods by weight would be popular (e.g. dried fruits, oats, etc)
- Food-to-go usually draws people in and brings an atmosphere, but there's not a lot of commercial stuff I can eat Confused

In terms of stalls/stallholders
- clear pricing
- indication of where they are from - down the road? Next county over?
- provenance of fish and meat
- to be somewhere on the line between "friendly" and "hard sell"

Smile
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Oh - and a direct link to my brain to make me remember when it's on Rolling Eyes
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home