Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
glenwine

Wild Garlic recipe

Three weeks ago the bulbules were just emerging from the leaf mould as swollen blisters 3-5mms diameter, some with tiny shoots. It took a while to collect enough to make a tasty addition to a stir-fry of burst in the mouth capsules of liquid flavour. Now that I've returned from my ski holiday the grasslike leaves are 10-15cms long and there are signs of some flower buds, but its still too soon for the intoxicating and all pervading aroma that comes with the opening of the flowers. As the flight returned mid afternoon, I didnt feel like tackling the supermarket- you can come back to earth with too much of a bang if you're not careful- instead I walked down to the river to stretch my legs and gathered a big bunch of wild garlic. It pulls up easily and cleanly from the loose leaf mould. Back home I found some potatoes and a red onion left lying in the fridge from before the hols and a tin of tuna in the storecupboard, and set about making a meal for three of us. While I cooked we nibbled on some pate and bread from Tintins alpine boulangerie, that we brought back with us. This is what I made;
RECIPES
Potatoes;Do these first. Peel and chop 4-5 small spuds into walnut sized pieces and place in a lidded ovenproof pot. I added a few chopped morels and a little of the flavoursome oil from the jar they came in from France but you could just add some olive oil, plus or minus a few chopped edible fungi. Mix together with a minimum of salt, and bake, covered at 180C for 30-40 mins.
[b]Wild Garlic and Tuna[/b];Wash and chop a generous bunch of wild garlic and a red onion, and saute together in olive oil.(I used the sunflower oil the tuna was in). Flake in the tuna. Optional extras (I added all of them) a few chopped dried tomatoes, a few walnuts or pecans, a generous tablespoon of Zaalouk aubergine mix. Mix all together in the pan, heat through and serve.
It was a meal that would have been even healthier with a fresh salad, but it was nonetheless, delicious, especially with a bottle of vin rouge brought back from the slopes. I might try this another time with a fresh firm white fish or salmon.
cab

Good looking recipes. I wonder whether they'd adapt well for three cornered garlic (we get a lot more of that here than we do wild garlic).

Used to pick armloads of wild garlic from down by the river Lune when I lived in Lancaster. Beautiful stuff. Beautiful place too, when the garlic is in flower. I didn't mind even uprooting some of it there (tehcnically illegal now, but when there's a great big patch smothering a riverbank, not any real harm in it).

As for mixing wild garlic with fungi, nothing really beats the combination of wild garlic with St. Georges mushrooms. Really quite blissful.
glenwine

By wild garlic I mean the three cornered one(allium triquetrum) as I call the other one ramsons(allium ursinum)- maybe its a scottish thing. Its the first edible sign of spring here in Cramond country on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I have lots of both in the woodlands going down to the local river. In fact there is so much wild garlic that it forms almost a complete carpet of rich emerald green, threatening to suffocate virtually everything else and so I dont think there is any problem if I gather it in abundance. I'm using it a great deal at the moment and hope to post more cooking results soon. An annual rite of passage in spring is my stone age soup, but sorry have to come back to that another time, as I must go now.
cab

I'll wait with baited breath Smile

I've never heard of Allium triquetrum being called wild garlic before; any other Scots here? Is this a Scots thing?
wildfoodie

yes glenwine
I would love to hear more about your recipes - stone age soup sounds intriguing....
I have a vision of you in an animal skin kilt drinking a green soup from a hand hewn bowl....
glenwine

stone age soup

This started as a family amusement, and has become an annual rite of spring. Stone Age soup consists of a bunch of nettle tops, wild garlic(of either sort), young dandelion leaves, plus or minus a few sorrel leaves sweated in a pan with oil/butter. It is then made up into soup with vegetable stock, and is actually quite bland and boring, but the idea was that the ingredients were those that a stone age person living in these parts could also have used at this time of year. Even swirling in a well beaten egg keeps it authentic and makes it taste better . By the time of the iron age I reckon they had better pots and could boil up a good bird carcase for stock. Thus iron age soup is a great advance in flavour and nutritiousness, especially with good lumps of chicken in it, or road kill( used a freshly hit pheasant one year). However,the Romans were the next to live here, and as I had some self seeded italian parsley in the greenhouse in spring one year, the addition of this meant that Roman soup was born. It becomes centurion soup if wine is added to the stock (usually some homemade stuff thats not quite quaffable), and leaping forwards in time if you add in potatoes it becomes conquistador soup.
Hope you also enjoy playing with history and ingredients to make your soup. Especially good with homemade bread- theres another history lesson, or is it geography?
Thought for the day wildfood junkie ; Is glenwine male or female and which are you?
wildfoodie

hmm glenwine... I must confess the one in my head is DEFinitely male Wink

but hey I've always been partial to a nice set of knees....

rationally speaking, based on subjective impressions: votes for male: writing style, that you got to the fridge with no planning and improvised ( very male in my experience -
a woman would want to go to the shops on way back from airport)
vote for female - the family rite of passage perhaps? dunno... I think you are male and I'm female Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home