Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Behemoth

Wild Garlic

Our wild garlic is starting to push it leaves through the leaf litter. Has anybody any good recipe suggestions or uses for it.

Ta Very Happy
2blackcat

No recipes but I did see some happily spreading along a road side near Cowden last week

Wanted to have a quick forage but was dragged away kicking and screaming Rolling Eyes
Treacodactyl

No recipes but I found the leaves much better than spring onions so I like them in a salad or sandwich.
sean

Wild garlic sauce

Made this today which was nice with the roast lamb. I think a bowl of it would be good if you were having a barbie too.
2 handfulls of wild garlic leaves
Some olive oil
Some capers

Whizz it all up in a liquidiser, adjusting quantities until you're happy with the consistency. Apparently it will keep for a while in a jar in the fridge if you put a layer of oil on top of the sauce.
I also thought it might be good if you used half-and-half wild garlic and mint.

I knew it was on here somewhere.
You can also simmer it in milk for a bit, drain and dry then toss into a pan with some pancetta/ cubes of decent bacon which you've fried for a bit.
cab

Try mixing a few leaves with sorrel and chives, and any thinnings of baby lettuce you can manage. Fabulous salad. Or flavour quiche with it, its marvellous with eggs.
Treacodactyl

We've just picked our first leaves of the year from a very large patch we know, strangely some areas are just starting to show and others have quite large plants.

Just tried the leaves on some bread and butter (anyone else like spring onion sandwiches?). Most of it was added to an omlet, a handful of leaves washed and lightly fried in butter before adding a could of eggs. Rather nice but the wild garlic tasting a little like leeks.

I also think the leaves could be added to egg fried rice and stir fries if you have a glut.
alex.swann

You can use it as a straight substitute for normal garlic - or in salads - it's mild enough.

In Carrluchio (spelling?)'s mushroom book he suggests frying it with St George's mushrooms. And having that with scrabled eggs and warm crusty bread.
cab

alex.swann wrote:
You can use it as a straight substitute for normal garlic - or in salads - it's mild enough.

In Carrluchio (spelling?)'s mushroom book he suggests frying it with St George's mushrooms. And having that with scrabled eggs and warm crusty bread.

Mmmmm... I've made that, and its superb. Wild garlic and St. Georges mushrooms go together very well Smile
Treacodactyl

We made a good wild garlic and potato soup, just swapped the leeks for wild garlic in a leek and potato soup recipe. Basically wild garlic leaves, and potato chunks cooked in a little olive oil and butter for a few mins and then add stock and cook until the potatoes are soft. We also added some olive oil dumplings made to Bugs' recipe. Certainly one to do again. Razz

We also tried wild garlic leave bread but that wasn't that nice so I'll not mention it.
dpack

steamed with watercress Very Happy
with cottage cheese
stuff critters and roast .
in chese sarnies
in burgers
in pickles
cab

That soup sounds fantastic. Consider that nicked Smile

I've put wild garlic in herb bread (with cow parsley, nettles and anything else going). Didn't turn out too bad. I should imagine it would be a bit much on its own?
sean

It's up here, so I've driven Mandy out into the storm to collect some.
Then it's roast mutton, parsnip mash, wild garlic with bacon and properly roasted spuds for dinner.
tahir

sean wrote:
properly roasted spuds for dinner.

Just when spud peace had finally broken out Rolling Eyes
jamanda

sean wrote:
It's up here, so I've driven Mandy out into the storm to collect some.
Then it's roast mutton, parsnip mash, wild garlic with bacon and properly roasted spuds for dinner.

Ransoms collected, I'm dripping gently onto the computer. The violets are in flower too Very Happy
Treacodactyl

It's starting to show in our garden, I've weeded the patch in the veg garden and mulched with leaf-mould. It's more advanced wild and we gathered the first of the year as well today - cheese rolls and ramsons for lunch. Razz Tonight I'm going to try winkles and ramsons. Shocked
cab

Ramsons struggling to make themselves heard in my garden at the moment. It isn't like there are any weeds in the way or anything, it just doesn't much like it here. Still, its growing. First sweet violet flowers, celandine starting to flower, and three cornered leek doing well. Sorrel happy, chickweed happy... Theres the makings of a great spring salad there.
bingo

Finely shreaded leaves finish any rissotto a treat. The flowers are fantasic for salads.
Nanny

with all the water round here there ought to be some somewhere

i am keeping my eyes open for things whenever we go for a walk round the acreage

there are some scarlet elf cups in the woods and they are supposed to be edible but can't find a recipe for them

it was raining so hard today i expect that everything has drowned
cab

Nanny wrote:

there are some scarlet elf cups in the woods and they are supposed to be edible but can't find a recipe for them

They're rather bland, but lightly cooked and added top another mushroom dish at the end they add a little flavour and some colour.
sean

Just had duck egg and wild garlic omelette for lunch.
Shred the garlic, wilt in the butter for about 30 seconds then chuck in the beaten and seasoned duck eggs.
doctoral

I make a cheesy potato soup with wild garlic - it is a bit like a leek and potato soup, but the ransoms give it an extra dimension. Just cook the potatoes with the ransoms, add cheese & seasonings (I add marjoram as well) and blitz in a food processor - yum Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home