Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
hedgewitch

Wimberries

I've found a patch of wimberry bushes today but didn't have time to get close enough to check for berries.

Am I too late? I haven't been wimberrying for years, and seem to remember going late August - early September, so I'm hoping I've not missed the harvest...

I'll be able to go back either tomorrow or Monday and have a proper look.
Bernie66

Are they the same as bilberries?
sally_in_wales

are wimberries the same as whinberries? I love the way the wild things have different names in different areas Very Happy We have loads of bilberries on teh mountain behind us, to my shame I havent been up to check them this year. Hop ei havent missed them all, they are my most favourite fruit and wild harvest Cool
Bernie66

http://www.stiperstones.co.uk/inn/whinberries.htm
Whinberries are also known as bilberries, blaeberries, wortleberries and huckleberries.

Any help
Smile
Treacodactyl

Bernie66 wrote:
Are they the same as bilberries?

Or even blaeberries, we found some fruiting today, quite rare down in these parts apparently.
cab

Re: Wimberries

hedgewitch wrote:

I'll be able to go back either tomorrow or Monday and have a proper look.

Fighting chance I'd have thought. I've had them from July till September.
sally_in_wales

Must brave the hill on monday and see what I can find Very Happy
hedgewitch

sally_in_wales wrote:
are wimberries the same as whinberries? I love the way the wild things have different names in different areas Very Happy

Yes! I have only seen the name written in Lancashire, where it is "wimberries". And, checking the link from Bernie66, they are blaeberries as well! I've always wanted to try blaeberries -- didn't realise I was alreay eating them Rolling Eyes Laughing
Bernie66

[quote="hedgewitch" I've always wanted to try blaeberries -- didn't realise I was alreay eating them Rolling Eyes Laughing[/quote]

Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home