Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
tahir

Wind turbines

I'm looking at a wind turbine (again), they seem to be rated at either 1.5-2.5 kW or 5-6 kW. I can't see much benefit in selling back to the grid at the moment so should I go for the smaller one or a bigger one with a battery store of some kind?

Or should I sell to the grid????
Jonnyboy

Simplest way is to sell to the grid surely? That way you have no costs for storage, which IMHO is a very inefficient way of doing things.
Behemoth

That nasty gordon Brown has also said you don't have to pay tax on anything you make selling to the grid.
tahir

There's a huge jump in cost from the 1.5kW to 5kW sizes, I don't believe that it's financially viable (although I could be convinced), I probably stand more chance of getting consent for a smaller one too.
Nick

Genuine question.

Could you consider two smaller ones, then?
tahir

The site I've got earmarked could take one huge one or several smaller ones, it's prolly 4 acres, so yes a mini wind farm could be done.
Northern_Lad

I have heard that if you're feeding into the grid then your supply can be turned off if there's a fault on the line, as it might be a danger to engineers fixing the fault.

Go for a farm with some feeding you only, and some feeding into the grid.
Jonnyboy

Northern_Lad wrote:
I have heard that if you're feeding into the grid then your supply can be turned off if there's a fault on the line, as it might be a danger to engineers fixing the fault.

Go for a farm with some feeding you only, and some feeding into the grid.

Does that make sense? If there's a fault on a line then tahir will lose his supply anyway. Plus the wind trubines aren't constant power so he will always still need his grid supply
Nick

I read it that some mills would send power to the grid, others to his house. Possibly some storage to address the Always On issue. That way, if there's a problem on the grid, he could isolate 'his' mills, or run off batteries, but in times of excess, they could all supply to the grid.

This would be possible with multiple mills, impossible with a single one. However, I know not of what I talk, so I'm going back to operating on stuffed bunnies.
Jonnyboy

I would say the cost of home storage outweighs the benefits of having powere in a power cut.

If it's that much of an issue then why not buy a petrol gennie to run your lights, fridge etc. in a power cut. 3.5kva will be perfectly adequate if your running low voltage lights, a central heating pump and a fridge or two.
Behemoth

You could also supply local households?

There was something in the observer this sunday about a village going zero carbon, somwhere in Cheshire. Obviously in Essex you pitch it as "lower bills is more money left to buy bling innit".
Shane

Behemoth wrote:
Obviously in Essex you pitch it as "lower bills is more money left to buy bling innit".

Laughing Laughing Laughing
tahir

Laughing
Behemoth

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2042207,00.html
dougal

A small turbine feeding your house and allowing any power generated beyond your consumption (not much) just to be dumped free to the grid (Windsave-style) would allow you to gather data on your wind resource (and consumption) without the expense of official export metering (for the little exported). It would also save investment in batteries, their inverters and domestic rewiring to enable off-grid running.
It would be a toe in the water, rather than a major investment in your unknown wind resource... Wind climate (speed and smoothness) is everything.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6419397.stm
And *DO* watch the broadcast segment
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news/video/71000/bb/71215_16x9_bb.ram

Based on the data collected you could decide what made most sense for future development. The things do have a second-hand value if you were to 'upgrade' (or duck out).
tahir

How small Dougal? I'm looking at the 1.5-2.5 kw models, but they need inverters don't they?
dougal

tahir wrote:
How small Dougal? I'm looking at the 1.5-2.5 kw models, but they need inverters don't they?

Yep, you are going to need an inverter of some sort, somewhere, if you aren't going to use DC directly - not a good idea, thick cables and lots of power lost as heat. I was indicating that I think a small (matching the turbine) grid-tie inverter is unlikely to be much more than than a bigger inverter to drive useful loads off a battery bank.

Its a matter of what surplus you might be producing.
With a small turbine, it'll only occasionally produce more than you are using. IMHO (and here I think Windsave are right) the simplest and most cost-effective thing to do with a small surplus is to just dump it to the grid.

A "2kw" machine will only give you that 2kw when its blowing a hooley.
At half that windspeed, you'll be lucky to get 1/8 of that 2kw, ie 250w. At 1/4 of the max power windspeed you'd be pleased to see 1/64 of the output, just 30 watts or so.
And a lot of the time there won't even be enough wind to turn the blades, let alone generate anything worthwhile. Inland Essex IIRC isn't terribly windy.
So, with a small machine use the power yourself while datalogging the thing to death so you can see whether either more or bigger would make any sense.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home