Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
JB

Winter insulation challenge

Following on from the electricity challenge and the how much insulation poll ...

That poll showed that only 13% of us have the recommended amount of insulation. So I suggest a challenge over the next three months to uprate our insulation wherever possible and then repeat the poll.

and for those that can't do it themselves http://www.heatproject.co.uk/insulation-grants-available.php
cab

You're on! Excellent idea.
RichardW

Have signed up on a few grants sites but NONE of them have got back to me as yet.

Justme
marigold

Good idea, but I live in rented accommodation and am not eligible for any grants. I haven't ever looked in the loft to see how much insulation there is because I'll only feel annoyed if there isn't enough. However the house is very cosy and snow doesn't melt off the roof, so I assume there's a reasonable quantity of insulation up there.

An extremely well-paid friend had her second home loft insulated free under some special grant scheme in Bristol a few years ago Rolling Eyes . It would be nice if that kind of offer could be made to everyone in the country...
Vanessa

Someone I was talking to the other day said they thought it was possible to insulate walls from the OUTSIDE (obviously then rendered)!! Is there such a product? Is it terribly, terribly expensive? Confused
Slim

Over here there are lots of companies that will blow in cellulose insulation from the outside. Apparently it can settle a bit and also cause some extra dust if your house is a bit older and not so air-tight
Vanessa

This isn't for cavity walls, he said it was something you put on the outside of the walls and then render over the top.
Slim

You mean like foamboard?
Vanessa

Maybe ...
cab

I've heard of this, was talking to a bloke at the energy savings trust a while ago. Let me do a quick search...
http://tinyurl.com/2ejsln
Vanessa

Thanks Cab Razz
Helen_A

Oooo - count us in! Smile

(Admitedly we have the insulation on order.... although that isn't going to be anywhere near the 270mm when its in as it'll be loose fill so only able to go to the height of the joists according to himself.. although I'm working on him to agree to buy flax board to put up on the inside of the apex too, so maybe between the two we'll get there, lol)

Helen_A
Pilsbury

our loft is packed wit hinsulation between joists then boarded over and the gaps between the roof trusses is also filled and boards put up to cover it and the 2 sky lights are double glazed so not much more I can do unless i want to rip it all apart
MarkS

lots of external insulation options.

PUR/PIR from people like kingspan

or thermaboard made from waste wood

cover with mesh and lime render in either case

or hempcrete - lime/hemp/gervase' beard trimmings -can be supplied dry/wet or sprayed.

Major issue is that its thick on the walls - which may be an issue depending on your roofoverhang.

google is, if not your friend, then a nosey snoop that you can use.
toggle

i can't. I'm not pissing about in the loft until after I've sprogged.
MarkS

toggle wrote:

I think you'll find that moisture reduces the insulative properties of rockwool and thermafleece so I'd hold off even after sprogging.
toggle

MarkS wrote:
toggle wrote:

I think you'll find that moisture reduces the insulative properties of rockwool and thermafleece so I'd hold off even after sprogging.
Evil or Very Mad
Jamanda

I can't either - The loft is our bedroom.
And there sure as heck aren't any cavities in our walls
toggle

there aren't in my house either.

However, I do have the benefit of having interior walls made of cinderblock, whcih means I only have to have the heating on for short periods and then the walls keep the house warm for ages.
hamster

I'm putting pillows up the chimney. Does that count?
BahamaMama

hamster wrote:
I'm putting pillows up the chimney. Does that count?

Only if you intend to sleep up there... Surprised
Green Rosie

We have just put in the first 3 double glazed wnidows - the rest will be done by the end of March. Old windows we don't need to open at the moment are sealed with tape! Even with just the 3 windows done the house is much warmer.

Loft is huge and we can't do anything until we have decided what to do up there - and whether we get planning permission for new windows. It will happen .... but just not yet Embarassed
JB

A few links that might be of interest

Insulate for 50
Grant and offer search engine
ken69

My latest insulation project are exterior polystyrene shutters on three windows at the back of the house. Needs to be put up and taken down each evening/morning but not heavy.
50mm thick, cut to a snug fit into the reveal. Each 'slab' is taped at the edges plus bubble wrap as water protection although the latter isn't really necessary.
Been in use for 56 days, so far savings compared to last winter are 25 cu ft units , about 20, which is what it cost.
Projected savings per heating season 60.
Found the project from Google. An American...Thermal Shutters and Shades by...er...let you know.
ken69

William A Shurcliff....the author talks of Thermax boarding, probably the equiv of UK Celotex.
Not grantable, and had a stand up row with one surveyor..I queried the cost of some of the insulation work on offer. He thought I was being cheeky as it was free to me.
gil

I've finally got round to finding and fitting a heavy curtain at the back door.
RichardW

Justme wrote:
Have signed up on a few grants sites but NONE of them have got back to me as yet.

Justme

Well they have got back to me now. One group phoned this morning & came round by lunch. They can do the loft insulation & increase it from 75mm to the full 270mm plus draft proof the doors & windows plus & here is the biggy thay can fix / replace our oil boiler too. cheers cheers

Justme
Vanessa

That's fantastic, Justme. Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home