Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
KILLITnGRILLIT

Wood Blewit ?

Just need someone to let me know if it`s a positive ID,as I`m waiting for the spore print.

First I`ve picked,I believe they are good to eat however I`m confused as my Collins says that some are allergic,but that may be my interpretation as it also mentions L.saevum(true blewit)on the same page Confused

Cheers

jp

They look identical to the ones I found last week - very tasty. Where did you find them - mine were in mixed woodland under some scrubby underbrush. No mention of allergic reactions to either L. saeva or L. nuda in any of my books - but I guess the possibility exists for some individuals with any shroom...
cab

Look like it. If the spore print checks out, I'd say that wood blewit is the best ID for them. What do they smell like?

Some people don't get on with any of the blewits, best bet is to try eating a small amount first time.
doctoral

Wood blewit - check for what is described in some books as an aniseed smell (smell the gills) - I think it is more like lavender. If the spore print checks out, they are delicious cooked down with butter in their own juices + a hint of sherry + S & P to taste and cream at the last moment - serve on toast (crouton to some of us!).
skedone

your fridge must be full of cream lol
doctoral

skedone wrote:
your fridge must be full of cream lol

Confused ...if necessary, go to the shop and buy some cream ...
Stewy

Any one finding any lately?
doctoral

Stewy wrote:
Any one finding any lately?

One rather late common yellow russula and a few clouded agarics - apart from that, no. I will be hibernating in another forum on downsizer this year ... offtheair
cab

Loads and loads of field blewits at the moment.
mimborin

I think I am correct in saying (and if not, feel free to correct me) that Blewits should not be eaten raw but always cooked by some method. I am not certain about that, but I have always cooked them without any problems afterwards, and not had them raw. Wink
cab

Two reasons not to eat them raw:

(1) Some people find them indigestible raw, to the point of getting rather uncomfortable or even to the point of leaking at both ends.

(2) While cooked blewits taste great, raw blewits ming.
mimborin

Cheers Cab, as I say I have never been certain about that and always cooked them to be on the safe side.
Truffle

I with doctoral on the smell, definitely more lavender than aniseed.

Loads and loads of blewits around at the mo along with funnel caps, honey fungus, deceivers etc.
bingo

I can't find any blewits.
starmoonlilly

How DO you do a spore print? I have had Ceps, Decievers, and a Wood Bluet (I think) . But I dont have a mushroom guide yet, I have been with a knowledgeable friend. And didnt ask that Q Embarassed
jp

Quote:
How DO you do a spore print? I have had Ceps, Decievers, and a Wood Bluet (I think) . But I dont have a mushroom guide yet,

Hi. A good description of how to make a spore print is on the following website:
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/spore_print.html

A fine on-line mushroom id resource is:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/

But its worth getting a good book or two for when you go foraging. If you havn't already done so, look at the good advice given at the start of the foraging forum for collectiing & id'ing shrooms before eating them - sounds like you have a friend who knows what they are looking for, but its always worth double checking yourself - best way to learn. Very Happy
starmoonlilly

jp, thanks for the spore link. I have got rogers mushrooms in my favourites already, its a very good source of information.

Very Happy
Ive got a book on my xmas wish list Wink

I just love the mushroom forum here with the gorgeous piccies. Stunning work to all who have contributed Very Happy Very Happy
doctoral

No blewits around here either ...
jp

Quote:
Ive got a book on my xmas wish list

Amazon have Roger Phillips book "Mushrooms" at the bargain price of £9.50, which seems a good deal to me (I got my copy very recently for £11:50 Mad - which is still a good deal I suppose)...
Nanny

i got my copy free as it was in the house when we moved in

haven't seen any blewits though

obviously not looking in the right place......

we have soem bracket fungus on a lot of the old wood and i gather that there are parasols about in season

we should have loads of field mushrooms considering there are so many horses in the fields

methinks i shall take my collins gem out with me when i go up the field
Truffle

Our regular patches are absolutely covered in blewits…. Far too many to deal with.

In my experience the best places to find field blewits are, perhaps not surprisingly, old fields. They seem to pop-up where the soil has been disturbed. However, the absolute best spot is a very old and large manure heap that’s incredibly well rotted and covered in nettles. Earlier in the year ours produces masses of giant puffballs and parasols and now it’s covered in blewits (and still the odd parasol). It’s these types of places I recommend looking for belwtis.. in woodlands I only ever find smaller groups of wood-blewits, no where near on the same scale as the old heaps….

Truffle

Grow truffles: www.PlantationSystems.com :Buy truffle trees
starmoonlilly

Thanks for the info Truffle. But will wait till I get my ident book Wink And drag my friend to all the local piles of old poo Laughing Laughing
jp

Quote:
And drag my friend to all the local piles of old poo

I've been hunting for piles of old poo for ages - can't seem to fing any round here! Shocked
cab

Try also looking around parks; keep your eyes open near trees and hedges in amongst the grass. And also grass verges, lawns, anywhere that gets 'looked after' in Spring and Summer, and ignored in late Autumn through Winter. I get loads of blewits from places like that.
cibi

Still finding wood blewits in the park, too many to eat every week. They seem to hide in the bushes and younger trees, not in the nice old oaks and birches where i would look for ceps and chanterelles.
Went foraging in the wilderness this week end, and it really is the end of the season for most of the other fungi, took me about 2 hours to find a meager pound of hedhgehogs, all hiden away.
Do I now have to look up and try to find oyster mushrooms?? Very Happy
mimborin

Yesterdays find...todays lunch.

All found in woodland within 2m of three seperate oaks.

Edit: plus I left about 7 or 8 behind, mainly because they were manky after all the wet weather.
starmoonlilly

My knowlegdable friend gave me some wood bluets, which tasted lovely. But I did feel very unwell 2 days later, I think I read somewhere that certain people cant tollerate bluets very well.

Didnt have any alcohol either, in case anyones wondering
mimborin

starmoonlilly wrote:
My knowlegdable friend gave me some wood bluets, which tasted lovely. But I did feel very unwell 2 days later, I think I read somewhere that certain people cant tollerate bluets very well.

It may have been the blewits. Always be careful if trying a variety of apparently edible wild mushroom for the first time, only have small amounts. Luckly so far I havn't come accross an apparently edible one I can't eat, but I still have plenty to try!
starmoonlilly

Thanks Mimborin, maybe it would help a bit if I spelt Blewits properly Wink

Actually she did say only to eat a small amount too Embarassed
mimborin

Don't worry about the spelling! I am terrible sometimes. Any way the name is supposed to come from 'Blue hats' so your spelling is probably closer to that! Very Happy Wink
jp

Quote:

Starmoonlilly I'm not sure the no alcohol thing applies to Blewits - I think its only certain ink caps (Coprinus)...?
Can anyone else confirm / refute....Cab...?
dpack

i drink lots and blewits do no harm
shaggy ink caps make a hangover worse
bingo

I thought it was only the common ink cap.
shroominDole

jp wrote:
Quote:

Starmoonlilly I'm not sure the no alcohol thing applies to Blewits - I think its only certain ink caps (Coprinus)...?

Think the problems arise with alcohol and Clitocybe clavipes but haven't heard any for Clitocybe(Lepista) nuda (The Blewit)
doctoral

The alcohol rule to common ink caps - blewits are OK - I do both in abundance if I can get the blewits!
cab

jp wrote:

There is no specific reaction that I'm aware of between blewits and boooze. That isn't to say that some people won't be able to stomach the two together; I find if I eat blewits and shaggy parasols together then I get unsettled, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people find either one with alcohol unsettling.
cab

shroominDole wrote:

Think the problems arise with alcohol and Clitocybe clavipes but haven't heard any for Clitocybe(Lepista) nuda (The Blewit)

C. clavipes is meant to react the same as common ink caps with alcohol. It isn't widely eaten anyway though (to my knowledge).
doctoral

cab wrote:
shroominDole wrote:

C. clavipes is meant to react the same as common ink caps with alcohol. It isn't widely eaten anyway though (to my knowledge).

I don't eat them!
bingo

Hey shroom, welcome to downsizer.
jp

Quote:
There is no specific reaction that I'm aware of between blewits and boooze.

Glad to hear this because I found a nice little haul of Wood Blewits / L Nuda plus a nice looking Branching Oyster / Pleorutus cornucopiae today at work & I will definately be drinking alcohol when I eat them tomorrow Wink. Think I might try your "Nottingham Blewits" recipe from your website Cab.

Welcome to Downsizer Shroom Very Happy .
Jamanda

I got what I'm fairly sure are wood blewits today. I'm waiting for the spore print, but I'm feeling confident.
bingo

Nice one Jam, I can't find them.
doctoral

Aaah - finally I found a wood blewit - just one, but it shows that they are around somewhere. I gotta keep looking ... walk
mimborin

blob7 hello1

I know where there are a few, and I have the day off tomorrow, question is; do I go Christmas shopping or foraging? I know what I want to do, and what I should do... Sad
cab

Go foraging. Pick some mushrooms, dry them, pack them into jars and give them away as Christmas presents. Its what I do, and it sure as hell beats Christmas shopping Laughing
jp

Quote:
Go foraging. Pick some mushrooms, dry them, pack them into jars and give them away as Christmas presents. Its what I do, and it sure as hell beats Christmas shopping

Its a fine idea Cab, trouble is I just want to eat them myself... sad1 Very Happy
mimborin

cab wrote:
Go foraging. Pick some mushrooms, dry them, pack them into jars and give them away as Christmas presents. Its what I do, and it sure as hell beats Christmas shopping Laughing

Great idea Cab.
doctoral

... or just cook 'em and eat 'em!!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home