Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Vanessa

Wood-burner at last!

After talking about this for seemingly "for ever", we're finally having a wood-burner with back-boiler installed this week Very Happy Tomorrow and Tuesday Very Happy

MOH has done most of the plumbing in readiness, including putting the new hot water tank in. The tank is unpressurised, but gives mains pressure hot water, so the best of both worlds really.

I'm almost looking forward to winter Wink
Jamanda

Well done. Now you just need to get chopping wood.
Vanessa

Yeah Confused Laughing That's MOH's job. Wink
Anders

Congrats Very Happy Which make and model did you get?
Vanessa

The Herald Hunter 80b. Pretty powerful, and one of only a very few woodburners that burn cleanly enough to get the installation grant in France ... so we get 50% of the cost of the fire (not installation though Sad ) back in tax credits Very Happy

Tank, we went for the Gedhill Torrent SE; 277 litres. Can add solar at a later date as the coil is already there for it. Pleased with the performance (using it with electricity at the moment - not cheap, but cheaper than oil!!), although a little disappointed with the insulation properties; it's sold as "very well insulated", but it loses 5 degrees in a day just through heat-leakage Sad That WAS 10 degrees, until we lagged all the pipes that go into it.

Got a huge hole in the roof now Very Happy Progess!! Wink
judith

We had one of those at our last house. It was a great stove - you won't be disappointed with it.
Vanessa

Cool Very Happy That's what I like to hear Very Happy
joanne

Judith - how hot is it really - we only have a smallish room for it to go in but we really want to run the (yet to be installed) central heating off it - We only really need 5kw to the room any more and you wouldn't be about to get in there
judith

It might be a bit powerful for a small room. I think the room we had it in was something like 6 m x 4.5 m and quite cold (rubble-filled cavity wall), but once it really got going, you had to open the door to the next room. We weren't using it with a back boiler, though, if that makes any difference.
lettucewoman

we are about to have a hunter 4 - which apparently is fine for our park home living room which is 16ishx10x 7... Very Happy
Mrs Fiddlesticks

we're down for a Woodwarm inset one. Quote all approved just awaiting a fitting date now.
Vanessa

judith wrote:
It might be a bit powerful for a small room. I think the room we had it in was something like 6 m x 4.5 m and quite cold (rubble-filled cavity wall), but once it really got going, you had to open the door to the next room. We weren't using it with a back boiler, though, if that makes any difference.

Big difference, as something like 3/4 of the heat normally goes via the boiler.
joanne

Ah right - cos the room is approximately 16 foot x 12 foot which works out at anything between 3.5 - 5kw needed to heat the room plus we want to run the boiler and the radiators off it - so going on that assumption we need a 9kw stove atleast
vegplot

jocorless wrote:
Ah right - cos the room is approximately 16 foot x 12 foot which works out at anything between 3.5 - 5kw needed to heat the room plus we want to run the boiler and the radiators off it - so going on that assumption we need a 9kw stove atleast

If you think you're going to need 9kw get a stove that will output slightly higher say 10-12 kw as the performance figure is when it's going flat out (check with manufacturer how they measure performance). Also, check whether it will burn okay with a lower loading for those days when you just want to take the chill off. Our Morso is great for wood but being a multi fuel stove it doesn't like it when you part load it or damp it down when using wood. Some stoves are better than others in this respect.
rolybak

Having had oil fired central heating fitted in 2005, when oil was 44 cents a litre (it's now 90 cents), I have decider to convert my open fire, which uses copious amounts of olive wood to heat just one room. I am istalling the Hunter 80B to service my central heating system.
The next problem is the hot water supply, hence my PM request to Vanessa for some information regarding the hot water cylinder she is using?
I can use solar in the summer, with the boiler taking care of the winter.
Regards,..........Roly
Vanessa

For the benefits of everyone else, here is what I replied to Rolybak:

The cylinder we went for was the Gledhill Torrent SE. This is the Gledhill webpages on their cylenders ... http://www.gledhill.net/building-products/bp-index.htm ... they're a very helpful company, and make each cylender to suit the customer, so they're potentially all different!

So far, we've only used the immersion heater, but we're very impressed with that ... an hour and a half a day gives plenty of hot water for 3 of us; we could probably cut that down, too (meaning the time the immersion is on for). It's hard to imagine how the coil can work as well as it does, converting mains-pressure cold water into hot water for the taps "on demand", but it really does do what they say it does, even coping with 2 showers running at the same time.

It wasn't difficult to install, and a diagram of our own tank was included, showing what connects to where. Ours is plumbed ready for solar, although we haven't added solar yet.

The main problem with installation was access, but I guess that's the same with any tank really - getting in to solder joints / tighten joins etc.

We still haven't connected the fire up to the system; this was planned for August, but my father's death kind of put the breaks on all projects for a few weeks! I'll try to remember to pop back to this when it's all up-and-running. Looks great though Wink
Vanessa

Well, the boiler is now plumbed-in and working a treat! Just got to suss out the wiring for the pump / room-stat-timer / tank stat, and we'll have central heating, too Very Happy

A small fire heats water by 20 degrees in just 1 hour. I'm looking forward to putting the fire through its paces and having a big burn once the pump's connected (daren't try before that in case it boils!!).

Hopefully we'll be warm this winter Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home