Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
James

woodburner window leak?

We have a Coalbrookdale ďlittle WenlockĒ woodburner
Ever since we bought it around a year ago, Iíve noticed three things:
1) that the glass blackens very quickly (after 1 or 2 days, its heavily blackend), from the edge of the glass inwards
2) during strong gusty wind (like now), if Iíve recently put more wood and its just staring to smoulder, occasional small puffs of smoke come out from around the edge of glass (were the glass joins the cast iron).
3) its almost impossible to keep it smouldering slowly overnight.

Although point three is not to surprising (because itís a very small stove, so has a high surface area to furnace box volume), these points suggest to me that the glass is more loose than it should be.

Has anyone got experience of making the seal better on woodburner windows?

(or other good advise to help improve the efficiency?)
MarkS

how is the glass sealed?

ther is usually some sort of clamp and some fire rope.

without going and looking at our stoves (a rika and an aarrow) I think the order is door - rope - glass - clamp. possibly more rope between the glass and the clamp ? Although I dont think so.

I would suspect that either there is something stopping the seal from being good or the rope isnt quite positioned properly. maybe the rope isnt quite long enough and theres a gap?

Are you sure its from around the glass not the door edge ?
saffranne

just going to check ours now,you are right mark,it is door,rope,glass and clamp

ours is a rather large burner,i cant really see how the smoke can escape,
john is out with the dogs at the moment,will askhim when he gets back
RichardW

Does your model have "air wash" that stops the glass getting all sooted up. Ours has a top burn vent that if we open it whilst the fire is not hot enough causes the glass to blacken & if we burn with it closed when very hot it will also blacken.

Justme
James

To reply to the previous questions:
- Iíve checked our glass previously and it there are clamps on the inside of the door, directly onto the glass. Iíve tightened the clamps as much as possible. I cant see any rope, but Iíd presumed that it was between the door and the glass in a bit I couldnít see
- The air appears to be coming in all around the window, not just in one place, although the top has less of a problem. The left and right sides are very heavily blackend to the centre of the glass
- I am sure the smoke leakage is from the glass, not the door. Iíve sat and stared at this thing for hours trying to figure it out (you know how when something bugs you, you cant let it lie?)
- Our model does not have an air wash system. There isnít a clean air intake above the window to circulate fresh air downwards, passed the window to the fire.

Is any cement/ bond used to affix the rope into position? I was wondering if theyíd forgotton that perhaps
The idea that the rope is in the incorrect position is likely. Or maybe the rope isnt quite substantial enough.
Nick

Or, if you can't see it, not there at all, which would explain it leaking all round?
angie

You can buy all the spares you need at any woodburner stockist.
Jonnyboy

Try online. My woodburner supplier has .pdf files on their website that show how everything goes together. Yours might as well.
James

nickhowe wrote:
Or, if you can't see it, not there at all, which would explain it leaking all round?

that had crossed my mind also. Is the rope visible on other people's woodburners?
mochyn

I'd get in touch with Colabrookdale if I were you, James. Sounds like Nick could be right to me. You should have bought a Clearview!
James

...if I could affort a clearview, I'd have snapped it up.
Still, I wanted to have a piece of Shropshire with me in Yorkshire
mochyn

James wrote:
...if I could affort a clearview, I'd have snapped it up.
Still, I wanted to have a piece of Shropshire with me in Yorkshire

I know they sem expensive, but well worth it. Air wash, easy to use, stays in all night... Not like the old chap, then.
MarkS

James wrote:
nickhowe wrote:

that had crossed my mind also. Is the rope visible on other people's woodburners?

yes. Clean the glass around the edges and on the bits where there is no clamp I can see the rope through the glass.

I suppose they might use some other sort of gasket instead of rope.

You could always undo the clamp and lift the glass out to see what is between the glass and the door. Ring the dealer and see what they say. There ought to be something to seal it. Some do use a glue type stuff on the rope, Im sure ive also seen a shaped door where the rope sits in a channel - dont know if that also had glue but I would think so. Assembly of replacement glass would be a right pain otherwise.
angie

A type of cement in a tube is used on mine. It has to be high temperature.
dirtyden

If you are burning unseasoned logs, your windows will blacken - bitter experience !
James

nope, fully seasoned dry hardwood.
When I get a chance I'll take the window out & check.
Its a bit busy at the mo (as am I...)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home