Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
sean

Yee-hah, new windows at last...

Well allegedly anyway. They're just waiting for the glass and we have a date for the 19th of February. Hurrah, probably.
frewen

Argh! I thought there was going to be a picture Evil or Very Mad
sean

Sorry. I'll post one as soon as we've got them. Fortunately I caught the bloke who was measuring up the wrong house a couple of weeks ago. Shocked Confused
sean

Did you get your door done in the end?
vegplot

You're leading us on. I'm traumatised! Surprised
Jamanda

Re: Yee-hah, new windows at last...

sean wrote:
Well allegedly anyway. They're just waiting for the glass and we have a date for the 19th of February. Hurrah, probably.

Over half term. Marvelous.
cab

What kind of windows are you getting?
Jamanda

cab wrote:

Proper ones.

Wooden sashes to replace the hideous PVC things we currently have.
vegplot

cab wrote:

Would it be really daft to respond with transparent ones?
cab

Jamanda wrote:
cab wrote:

Proper ones.

Definitely prettier on older buildings! How do they relate fare in terms of energy efficiency? I ask 'cos when we recently had ours done, we went for PVC because they're quite fitting on our house, and we ended up paying a little extra to get as high an energy rating as we could. I went looking for similar technology being applied with wooden framed windows (just out of curiosity) but didn't find much Sad
Jamanda

They'll be double glazed. And it will be possible to open them.
vegplot

Jamanda wrote:

Who is you supplier?
cab

Jamanda wrote:

Do you have an energy rating for them?
sean

vegplot wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

Who is you supplier?

WD Joinery based in Bideford. The windows are FSC certified hardwood. Can't find the quote with the details of the glazing units but they were reasonably highly specced.
cab

The whole installation these days can come with a simple A, B, C rating rather like you get with fridges, freezers, washing machines etc. Its a gross over-simplification, but a good guideline.

Best I could find locally with wooden units was either a C or a D (can't remember which). Which strikes me as a shame, there must be a way of getting better than that.
vegplot

cab wrote:
The whole installation these days can come with a simple A, B, C rating rather like you get with fridges, freezers, washing machines etc. Its a gross over-simplification, but a good guideline.

Best I could find locally with wooden units was either a C or a D (can't remember which). Which strikes me as a shame, there must be a way of getting better than that.

I'm sure there must be. What do the Scandanavians use?
MarkS

some suggestions here.
http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=527&page=1#Item_0

Im trying to imagine what a house has to be like for uPVC to look right.

Its not a pretty thought.
vegplot

MarkS wrote:
some suggestions here.
http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=527&page=1#Item_0

Its not a pretty thought.

An igloo?
cab

MarkS wrote:

Modern.
Vanessa

Yep, you're right, Cab. A modern house looks fine with UPVC. Nothing else does Rolling Eyes
cab

vanessa wrote:
Yep, you're right, Cab. A modern house looks fine with UPVC. Nothing else does Rolling Eyes

I didn't say that nothing else looks right on a modern house, nor that no other house can look right with UPVC windows. Most houses that I know that do look right with such windows are pretty much modern ones though.
Vanessa

Oops, badly worded

What I MEANT was ... they don't look right on anything else. Embarassed That'll teach me to proof-read what I write Laughing
cab

vanessa wrote:
Oops, badly worded

What I MEANT was ... they don't look right on anything else. Embarassed That'll teach me to proof-read what I write Laughing

You know, after I wrote my reply, I thought maybe thats not what she means with the rolling eyes Laughing

They look good in our house, but anything would look better than the 1968 ill fitting dirty aluminium double glazing (literally filthy between the panes) they replaced. Made a hell of a difference to how warm and light the house is.

I'd think twice before installing them in an older house though, although (and this will sound like heresy) some of the fake wood grades of UVPC aren't so bad now.
sean

cab wrote:
some of the fake wood grades of UVPC aren't so bad now.

Heretic. Burn him. Where's Gervase with his Gentleman's Device for the Incineration of The Godless?
Jonnyboy

cab wrote:

Gawd, never thought to check that with our new build, just had upvc double glazed
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
cab wrote:
some of the fake wood grades of UVPC aren't so bad now.

Heretic. Burn him. Where's Gervase with his Gentleman's Device for the Incineration of The Godless?

blow out that match, some of the grain effect do look very nice. I just couldn't be bothered with the 1000 premium otherwise we would have had them.

Brown upvc is just horrible mind.
sean

Nope. Lifespan of uPVC versus wooden windows? Embedded energy? Frittering away of oil to make a product that's inferior to a sustainably produced one?
Looks like we got ourselves another one of the pyre here. Wink
cab

sean wrote:
Nope. Lifespan of uPVC versus wooden windows? Embedded energy? Frittering away of oil to make a product that's inferior to a sustainably produced one?

Depends rather on the uPVC really; some of the modern grades should (according to their UV stability) last, and last. And of course you don't need to paint or treat them so while yes the energy input in manufacture is high, the maintenance energy is low. And its quite staggering how much better they are at saving heat and keeping noise out.

Besides, you can't burn us, think of all the volatile organics you get from PVC. Wood makes a better fire.
sean

Are you and Jonnyboy made from PVC then? Shocked
Jonnyboy

sean wrote:
Are you and Jonnyboy made from PVC then? Shocked

I'm Welsh, hence highly combustible.
cab

Jonnyboy wrote:

Gawd, never thought to check that with our new build, just had upvc double glazed

When you're only doing a relatively small project like installing windows in your house then you can pay more attention to the details!

Unless you really go looking, you've probably got grade B or C windows; to get up to A you're looking at putting some funky non-conducvive spacers in the frames and coating the glass internally to reflect heat back in too. What kind of inert gas filler do you have?
Jonnyboy

I, er, appear to have some fancy spacers - lot's of shiny stuff in there certainly.

Would you like to talk about my blown insulation, I at least know a bit about that.

Although joking aside, I'm happy we're pretty good as our wood burner alone keeps us well toasty
Vanessa

sean wrote:

I'd say that depends on where you live! My parents had hardwood double glazing installed way back in the 70s; were proudly told they'd never have to replace them. DOH!! Weston-super-Mare and hardwood window frames ... Let's just say they now have UPVC Wink
MarkS

Jonnyboy wrote:
I, er, appear to have some fancy spacers - lot's of shiny stuff in there certainly.

That might not be good. The spacers should not conduct heat - aluminium ones do...

Oh and there is no reason why hardwood frames would not be suitable for a coastal location if properly maintained.
Mary-Jane

Jamanda wrote:
cab wrote:

Proper ones.

Gervase is on his way to give you a huge hug and a big, wet sloppy kiss Mandy... Very Happy
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home