Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Yesterdays forage

Went in search of beech leaves, and while there are some hedges in leaf, nearly all of the buds on trees in the woods and parks are tightly shut.

Never mind.

Didn't find any shrooms either, far too dry Sad

But I did find some glorious new foraging grounds out towards Girton, where I picked ground elder, chickweed, hedge garlic, dandelion, cow parsley, jack by the hedge... All the standard greens. Thumping great horse chestnuts to explore under when we get a wet spell. And had a great bike ride, so it isn't all bad.

Desperately, desperately need rain here.
PeteS

Hi,

I found my first St Georges mushrooms on Saturday 14th April. Nice size and condition too. Only a few but given the fact we've had no rain for almost a month I was really surprised.

Also found a few Pleurotus cornucopiae - very early
Kinnopio

Found some St Georges on the way to work this morning, very surprising as it has been so dry here but I did find them in some scrubby woodland that has remained fairly damp.
cab

PeteS wrote:
Hi,

I found my first St Georges mushrooms on Saturday 14th April. Nice size and condition too. Only a few but given the fact we've had no rain for almost a month I was really surprised.

Also found a few Pleurotus cornucopiae - very early

Lucky you Laughing

Pleurotus sometimes just appear whenever they like; I've picked them on midsummers day and midwinter day, they're just like that.
PeteS

I thought Pleurotus cornucopiae was more a late spring to autumn mushroom. I agree that the some of the other edible Pleurotus (like Pleurotus ostreatus) can be found at anytime.
cab

PeteS wrote:
I thought Pleurotus cornucopiae was more a late spring to autumn mushroom. I agree that the some of the other edible Pleurotus (like Pleurotus ostreatus) can be found at anytime.

Naah, I've had P. cornucopiae in Spring before, more than once.
PeteS

About 50% of the beech trees have their leaves out down here. Cab, what do you use them for?
cab

PeteS wrote:
About 50% of the beech trees have their leaves out down here. Cab, what do you use them for?

Beech leaf liqueur, by the recipe at the bottom here:

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Processing_Food/Fruit_Liqueurs/
sean

How tightly do you pack them in the jar? They're just coming into leaf here.
doctoral

cab wrote:
PeteS wrote:

Beech leaf liqueur, by the recipe at the bottom here:

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Processing_Food/Fruit_Liqueurs/

A delicious drink, although isn't it spelled 'NOYEAU' ??? Can also be made from other tree leaves, but beech is supposed to be best Wine
cab

sean wrote:
How tightly do you pack them in the jar? They're just coming into leaf here.

Loose-ish, gentle push but don't squeeze them in.
PeteS

I am going to make some. Yesterday afternoon I tried to eat some of the young leaves - they were quite nice and I prefer them to hawthorn. Wil try and put a few in my next salad.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home