Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Cathryn

Yorkshire farmers

The Farm Resource Efficiency Programme (FREP)
Latest News - Round 2 of the Farm Resource Efficiency Programme (FREP) is now open, the deadline for applications is the 27th October 2008.

What is covered?


FREP is a capital grants programme available to improve the overall economic performance of livestock holdings through the introduction of new technologies to promote energy, manure and water resource efficiency. The funding will assist the purchase of capital equipment to achieve business and environmental benefits; with the principle benefit of the technologies being towards the farming enterprises, and not towards domestic or diversification use.

The following technologies are eligible:

* Renewable power - Small scale wind turbine (e.g. 500w-25Kw) and foundations, hydro-electric, photovoltaic and grid connections.
* Renewable Heat - Heat recovery systems, biomass boilers, solar heat and ground source heat pumps.
* Rain water harvesting/water recycling systems- Including fixed pumps, UV filtration systems, piping, and storage tanks.
* Manure management* - Solid/Liquid separator systems such as rotary screens, roller presses, screw presses/augers and nutrient testing kits.
* Technical fees associated with the commissioning of the above systems would also be eligible

How much is available?


Support can be paid at a rate of up to 40% against eligible expenditure; applications for grant investment should be for a minimum of 2,000 (i.e. minimum of a 5,000 capital investment) and a maximum of 20,000 (50,000 capital investment). If your costs exceed 50,000, 20,000 remains the ceiling.

Please note that applications will need to include*:

* 1 Set of underlying accounts for the business
* 3 Quotes for the equipment purchased
* Supporting calculations which demonstrate what the results of the investment will be
* Planning permissions or consents to be in place and copies provided
* Confirmation of the private match funding
* Applicants should read and familiarise themselves with the guidance notes for the FREP. The guidance notes provide full details of what information is required.


Any interest to anyone?
dpack

umm
Lorrainelovesplants

Confused
Like the idea, but...dont think it covers Cornwall, lot of red tape, dont think wind power is efficient enough to justify outlay. Biomass boilers are fine if you are a major user....
Think i'll pass
Cathryn

No, it is specific to Yorkshire, dunno why. Think in comprison to most there is very little red tape with this one. And all paperwork you would need to have in any case. There is the little matter of the other 60% but if you were already considering this...
Lorrainelovesplants

Its the same idea down here. We previously had Objective One funding in Cornwall. They were trying to give away loads of money, in fact I know one guy who took the carrot, overstretched himself and went bust.
They were trying to get me to put up multispans, employ staff, invest in training......
Scared the shit out of me they were so keen to give me money (after all, nothing comes free).

Now they have another pot of money and again, really keen to give it away. same red tape but they really dont want to help small businesses.
Had a phone call that I ended before I slapped the ......'lady'......(takes VERY deep breath) down the phone who informed me that having 'only' an acre, I 'wasnt really big enough for them to help in any way'.
Cathryn

Yes, just been talking about this, it sounds all too rigid and not at all able to cope with innovative ideas. I think we should talk about this further. I have been asked to highlight the problems I have with accessing it which really seems to be a problem for those offering it to deal with. However this has been in casual conversation as yet. I will wait for a more detailed conversation before making assumptions. Maybe I won't have a problem. Wink
Rob R

There are so many grants like this, I think I've seen about five in the past few years that cover rain water harvesting systems, however, when 60% has to be found, more fundamental projects take priority. These schemes are fine for things you already have a budget (and plans) for.

Lorrainelovesplants wrote:
They were trying to give away loads of money, in fact I know one guy who took the carrot, overstretched himself and went bust.


Exactly, it assumes you have funding to improve profitability, but when it also pushes your borrowing up to unsustainable levels, the benefits of more profit are only felt 5 or 10 years down the line, by which time you may have succumb to your creditors.
Cathryn

On the other hand last year I fundraised over 1/2m, lengthy application form one of them which fortunately also covered writing the business plan... but hey, tax payers money 'n all....

It's all being well spent I promiseyou.

Sometimes it is worth a try you know.
Rob R

Match funded?
Cathryn

Not the 1/2 m but yes the rest was, 'bout 20,000. And actually not in real cash some of that... Sometimes you can match it with other initiatives.

If you are interested, I'll read the application form. (When my computer gets mended.)
Rob R

If you can match the 60% to the remaining 40% I'm very interested, and another 25k for the new livestock building to feed the rainwater system would come in very handy too. We're already maxed out on our existing match funded support.
gil

Rob R wrote:
If you can match the 60% to the remaining 40% I'm very interested, and another 25k for the new livestock building to feed the rainwater system would come in very handy too. We're already maxed out on our existing match funded support.


Matched funding - don't forget to include your own (and friends') time costed in at full whack - commercial rate for the job - including as consultancy at fat whack too.

Also re matched funding - include full commercial cash value of any 'in kind' support (barter etcetc); 'secondments' (e.g. friends in other businesses who might help out evenings / weekends)
Cathryn

Research lab to support the work...that kind of thing...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home