Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Your own wieght in chicken of the woods!

Or it would seem that way. So much of it appeared round here this last week!

Had literally about 20 minutes to forage this week, at lunchtime today. On the bike, got back to work with a rucksack full of COTW, first dryads saddle of the year, water mint, hop shoots and three cornered leek. Gosh, but this rain has brought everything out.

MUST find time to go to the woods this weekend.
sally_in_wales

Wouldnt survive if you posted me some would it? I'm determined to try chicken of the woods, but never have found any yet Sad
cab

sally_in_wales wrote:
Wouldnt survive if you posted me some would it?

Well... Theres only one way to find out isn't there Wink If theres an ice pack going spare at work tomorrow, I'll bung some over.
sally_in_wales

ooh exciting Very Happy Will find a suitable swap of some description- but no rush, will be off to the smallholders lunchtime tomorrow so next forage might be best in case it turns up whilst we are elsewhere
steve01

cab never had cotw they tell me it grow in trees along the cam north of cambridge chesterton, milton, fen ditton hope you can give me some help will repay when ceps are about
also your favourite recipe would help
cab

Steve, check your private messages for top secret foraging spot info Smile

Favourite recipe... Well, I usually cook it pretty much with meat. So we had beef and chicken of the woods curry tonight, for example.

One good trick is to cut into chunks soak it for a day in olive oil, garlic, herbs and a splash of wine, and then slide on to skewers with other veg. Really handy vegetarian barbecue recipe, I always try to keep some in the freezer for that.
steve01

thanks cab just picked my first cotw on a willow tree at newnham will try it in a curry owe you one
Jamanda

What sort of texture does COTW have when it's growing. Is it quite tough and fibrous? I've found a big, yellow bracket type thing which I thought could be it, but it was too tough to pick and I didn't have a knife. I'll try and get a photo this afternoon.
cab

steve01 wrote:
thanks cab just picked my first cotw on a willow tree at newnham will try it in a curry owe you one

Excellent Smile

I wonder if thats one of the willows I visit out that way... Plenty to go around though Laughing
cab

Jamanda wrote:
What sort of texture does COTW have when it's growing. Is it quite tough and fibrous? I've found a big, yellow bracket type thing which I thought could be it, but it was too tough to pick and I didn't have a knife. I'll try and get a photo this afternoon.

When really young its like raw meat. When really old its like dried up wood. In between its... well, in between. Generally I rekon if I can snap it and suck some juice out then its good for the pot; practice, really, is how you know whether its still good. The tougher, the smaller you need to slice it up and the more stewing it needs. Really young its great fried off with garlic.
Earth Mutha with attitude

I don't suppose anyone out there lives in Angus who knows about mushrooms?? My oh used to pick chantrelles, round his home in Deeside, but I don't feel confident enough to try to eat anything else I come across!
I love mushrooms and hate paying tescos for 3 punnets of them a week! Sad
PeteS

Hi,

Been away for a few days. How do people survive without the internet?

Last Saturday I went back to the spot I found my first Chicken-of-the-Woods the previous week. To my surprise it had grown back, and even bigger than before! Now I had cut the whole bracket off right against the tree - there was only one the first time - and the mushroom had grown back, not only around where I had cut it but straight out of the cut. Have a look at the pictures, I am amazed that it can grow this big in a week and grow like this from where I'd cut it off from the tree. Moreover, the biggest amount of growth occurred where it had been removed. It does show that cutting this mushroom does no harm and might even help it grow!

Chicken of the woods - 12th May 2007

Chicken of the woods - 19th May 2007
doctoral

Hi,

I've been away for weeks in places where mushrooms don't grow - glad to hear that others are finding them, though ... Smile
bingo

I've not found any yet.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home